Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google market share hits LOWEST in over 5 years

The cracks are forming

Google serp's without EMD's are crap

Already users switching

Now if FB would just put a box to BING on top of the site

haha

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/9658726/Googles-UK-market-share-dips-to-lowest-in-five-years.html
  3. A Developers Perspective
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by 1leads
    The cracks are forming

Already users switching

haha

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/9658726/Googles-UK-market-share-dips-to-lowest-in-five-years.html
    Ok so Google might not be at its best atm but i would rather search in the yellow pages for things than bing!
    If you are new to SEO please read these, On-Page Optimisation and Meta data before asking questions.

Or if you would just like to view my website: http://www.cwhittaker.com, State SEOCHAT for 10% off custom websites
  5. Contributing User

The cracks are forming

Already users switching

haha

I haven't read your article, but I doubt very much that EMDs are the reason for any drop in market share.

From what I can pick up EMDs have NOT been affected, LOW QUALITY EMDs were the issue - and affected?
  7. A Developers Perspective

Originally Posted by Belfast
    I haven't read your article, but I doubt very much that EMDs are the reason for any drop in market share.

From what I can pick up EMDs have NOT been affected, LOW QUALITY EMDs were the issue - and affected?
    the article just says how google has dropped to its lowest, with its main rival Bing getting 5% of the market.

thing is, bing comes on all microsoft computers, as standard with IE etc, and yet 9/10 people still prefer to use Google to search for things. I wonder how many of that 5% are people who dont really know the difference and just use the one they are provided with.

After all that is surely the only reason IE is still going? if people had to manually install that it would have been dead a long time

Comments on this post

• SEO_AM agrees : People that believe is starting to fail... are dreaming. Wake up and smell the coffee/tea.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

LOW QUALITY EMDs were the issue - and affected?
    Have you used google the past 6 weeks, absolute crapin serp's and it's due to how google killed ALL EMD's, <snip>vulgarity</snip>, low quality emd's my ***, they targeted any emd with a cpc value over 5 bucks a click. What the site had on it was irrelevant, if you had an EMD worth over 5 bucks a click cpc, it got hammered regardless of what matt cutts says.

Cutts is pure BS, <snip>vulgarity</snip> you're a google believer, you have no idea why google is now on the down trend of market share, and as soon as a site like FB puts a bing or their own search box on top of every page, google drops to under 50%.

5 or 10 years from now it will google who, just like infoseek who and altavista who and inky who, SE's come and go and the kill switch of EMD's ruined google serp's, the downtrend has started and now is the time for FB to move on it.

FB will slay Google eventually, way more users, all they have to do is flex their 1 billion strong user muscle and they own the SE market that easy.

Comments on this post

• dwhitmore
    Last edited by DarrenHaye; Nov 22nd, 2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: vulgarity
  11. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Any time a supplier holds 90% of a market... there really is not a competitor. This is doubly true if that competitor has been trying for years to truly penetrate that market. Bing/Yahoo cannot, for strategic reasons, give up on search although their data says they should. I see Google dominating for many years to come.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  13. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    I see Google dominating for many years to come.
    Well in 20 years of commercial internet playing and having an edu email that goes back to the 70's when arpanet was the net, I've seen SE's come and go.

Infoseek first popular SE
    Inky and AV took over
    Then Yahoo was first to put ads on TV
    Then Google came out with shared income boxes and took over.

It's not going to be yahoo or bing that hits google

It's probably gonna be a joint venture powered by FB

Or FB if they ever hire a programmer that knows squat about coding.

Think about it, over 1 Billion users OVER NIGHT see a search box on top of FB, what you think the traffic to Google is that next down, down 50% maybe 90%

Things on the net MOVE FAST, and FB is the one giant that is in position to dethrone google and when it happens, it will be FAST and GOOGLE will have none of our ad dollars again.

It's inevitable, what goes up must come down, those who rule today are ruled over tomorrow.
  15. In the game since Jan '06
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

The cracks are forming

Already users switching

haha

I am pretty certain that EMD's have very little to do with the drop in share.

Personally, I feel Bing has upped its game with regard to search recently. I'm currently finding that the top ten results on Bing are nicely varied and usually don't require me to retype and reword my search - whereas in the past it did.

To top that off, Microsoft have been smashing out ads on the TV here in the UK over the past year, in preparation for releases such as Windows 8. Their recent marketing activity mean that people have got Bing and Microsoft on their minds - Google not so much. Add that to the fact that when someone does purchase a new PC with Windows 8 already on it, their default search engine is Bing... The same with their new tablet.

Just my take on it...
    Last edited by thegodfather; Nov 22nd, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
    "In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life." - George Best
  17. B afraid.. B very afraid!

All leaders eventually fall or fail... No person, company, culture, political party, or nation rules forever. Google will eventually fall or fail... but when.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    All leaders eventually fall or fail... No person, company, culture, political party, or nation rules forever. Google will eventually fall or fail... but when.
    When google was nothing, it came to content providers like my old company that had MILLIONS in traffic and offered a bs search box for shared revenue on nickles. No thanks, we passed, the reason, we had income streams from members PAYING to read content.

They lucked out, some traffic giants said OK, we built this and can't sell ads, so let google sell the ads. BINGO they had huge traffic by just getting a few big players to put a dumb search box on top.

It took a while but they branded the site as a damn VERB now, so they are 'engrained' deeply in the internet now.

I'll GOOGLE YOU, you hear it all the time, the only thing rivaling it, I'll facebook you is now what many say when they meet, but it's I'll GOOGLE YOU for a business.

You need traffic giants to STEER users to a new search box, that's all, make it big and right on top of a site like FB, bingo, overnight millions in traffic, LOOKING for stuff.

FB needs the revenue, so eventually it's gonna be them.

Their current advertising on site blows, we tried it for some clients, worse CTR in the history of the net their ads are. Buried on the wrong side of the page.

So when FB wakes up, fires the dork running it and gets PROFIT ORIENTED, they become major player overnight in SE game.

That's the only company I see with enough traffic to dent Goog.

So whenever FB decides to enter the SE game, that's when GOOG gets hurt. Until then I don't see anyone touching goog, it will be FB.
  21. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Facebook, with a strategy they have yet to demonstrate, could be the one. If their IPO fiasco and current management incompetence are examples of what is happening internally in FB... I don't see FB challenging Google in the near term.

Bottomline: If Microsoft were to buy Facebook... Google will have a competitor.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

FB is similar to when Apple was an IPO, what happened, real execs came in, took it over and made it make money, eventually Jobs came back after he matured and now APPL is one of the tech giants, but mid 80's it almost put itself out of business.

The problem with many in the tech industry, they have no depth of time in it, so no historical reference points.

You see the same stuff over and over in business.

Great ideas come along, they get financing, they go public, they loose money, the original owners/execs get replaced, a resurrection begins, and bingo, a giant is born. It's very rare for any company to go public and keep their original execs in place.

Sure MS did it but he had a Stanford brain trust with him, FB is that kid and that's it, way too centralized, so he's a goner, sooner or later and the sooner the better, the new exec will see what I'm saying is the solution to huge income, and target SE development for it, that's its future.

And as soon as they get that kid out of FB the faster it will happen.
  25. Contributing User

Have you used google the past 6 weeks, absolute crapin serp's and it's due to how google killed ALL EMD's, you open your mouth and eat the BS matt cutts spews out, low quality emd's my ***, they targeted any emd with a cpc value over 5 bucks a click. What the site had on it was irrelevant, if you had an EMD worth over 5 bucks a click cpc, it got hammered regardless of what matt cutts says.

Cutts is pure BS, so open your mouth and eat whatever bs he spews out, you're a google believer, you have no idea why google is now on the down trend of market share, and as soon as a site like FB puts a bing or their own search box on top of every page, google drops to under 50%.

5 or 10 years from now it will google who, just like infoseek who and altavista who and inky who, SE's come and go and the kill switch of EMD's ruined google serp's, the downtrend has started and now is the time for FB to move on it.

FB will slay Google eventually, way more users, all they have to do is flex their 1 billion strong user muscle and they own the SE market that easy.
    I find it funny that I changed my reply to be a bit friendlier to a newbie, and you don't seem that friendly yourself.

Anyway, this 5 bucks a click theory - do you have anything sound to support that?

Incidentally, I don't trust Matt Cutts to be helpful to SEOs - giving half information for example. The one clear example was that the EMD update was 'nothing to do with panda'... Then about a week or so later it emerged that there had been a panda update the same weekend - which is honest - but, I believe deliberately misleading. When it comes to things that are testable, lying is easily uncovered and would not be good for Google.

What I find irritating are the BHW guys who seem to IGNORE EVERYTHING from Google because they are 'liars'.

So, I guess you lost a site or 2 and are bitter?

Comments on this post

• zico82 agrees : He's very bitter
  27. Rebel Without a Clue

Have you used google the past 6 weeks, absolute crapin serp's and it's due to how google killed ALL EMD's, <snip>vulgarity</snip>, low quality emd's my ***, they targeted any emd with a cpc value over 5 bucks a click. What the site had on it was irrelevant, if you had an EMD worth over 5 bucks a click cpc, it got hammered regardless of what matt cutts says.
    Not ALL. Our EMD site is performing better than ever thank you, and has recently sneaked up to grab a number of top slots on Google.

I do however agree with your comments with regard to Facebook - it's potential is huge, particularly in the younger generation who seem to spend their every waking hour checking in. Honing in on the search function is the next logical step, and the fact it can tie in users' posts about the search term (as well as likes from friends and other social indicators) can really help the trust factors. Google are obviously aware of this potential, but Google+ has got a long, long way to go ....
  29. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

So, I guess you lost a site or 2 and are bitter?
    Our portfolio is nothing but EMD's and TM's we own, and with THOUSANDS of EMDS and many developed, I can guarantee it, if I testified in court against google that the bottom line was CPC value on EMD's, I could easily prove it. I could show EMD's here still high in serps, with similar content to the EMD's that dropped, only the EMD where the cpc is under 5 bucks is still high in the serp's and the EMD with a value over 5 bucks is no where in the serp's.

So google hit EMD's they make the most money on, which means they intentionally struck our assets, in fact, we might just SUE GOOGLE over it, however, we're not hurting on income due to it, since our clients using these assets are all PPC clients. So for ppc, an EMD is still preferred by google over any other domain, period.

So a few clients noticed their organic dropped, and we explained, did you phone calls stop, NO they say. The reason is google killed organic SEO 2 years when they redesigned serps so organic seo spots are all usually out of FIRST VIEW, so niche high dollar terms in the 50 to 100 range which is our expertise and largest client base, has never gotten much from organic since that change by google, all the leads clients get come from being #1 ppc ad and having our content that converts to usually a response ratio over 50%.

So for 2 years, google has killed organic seo across the board, just look at serp's you see 11 ppc ads, and maybe 2 map listings, where's the organic seo. It's out of first view.

So if you are on a term that gets 500 impressions a day, the % of people that scroll is minute, they click first view a very high % of time, so ppc is all the action and has been for 2 years.

So since we didn't loose income over it, there's technically no damages, but in the past we could point to an EMD in a 100 buck term and say see we're there organically. And your ad will be #1 since it's an EMD with the exact content google wants for QS.

So when you have high QS sites that disappear off the charts due to being an EMD, that's a PENALTY and google should be sued for it, it's intentionally hurting a company due to owning an emd.

Now if we have a slow down in new clients, then we can prove damages.

But since most of our biz is REFERRAL, and we insist a new client talks to an existing client before we sign them up, we probably won't see a slow down.

So without damages we can't sue google really.

Now some EMD's over 5 bucks have come back recently, so they may be loosening the kill switch.

But when the switch was killed, it hit everything over 5 bucks, and with EMD's developed with huge QS ratings buying ppc, yet they don't rank now, it has nothing to do with 'quality', unless you want to say google has two quality scores one for ppc and one for organic seo.

Google is nothing but a money driven company that has intentionally now hurt EMD owners and with guys with 300K EMD portfolio's, they may sue a lawsuit, we have close to 10K and we might shave it to 2K now, a geokeyword.com is now worthless due this action and since we own many keywords.com with geo sub domains, we have no need to also control the geokeywords.com, they were more 'insurance' to keep others from easy EMD development.

So 80% of our EMD's were GEO prefix emd's, for huge markets and were not usually developed, they were insurance reg's to prevent others from an easy emd seo development project.

You can look locally for high cpc terms, injury lawyer, plastic surgeon, insurance, homes for sale, tires, towing, any term with a value over 5 bucks from low cpc terms like tires a 5 buck term to towing a 10 buck term in most cities, and injury lawyer a 80 to 100 buck cpc term, you now see tons of directory garbage pages. The emds were all hit. Especially the geo terms.

So serp's now show garbage, one page directory listings, absolute garbage, and this coincides with the first dips in google market share in years.

So google makes serp's garbage by showing too many directory pages on high value terms, emd's with great content are gone, and now you have the first dips in google market shares since the EMD switch happened.

Google is king of the hill today, but it's slipping and the slip coincided with the EMD kill switch.

Now you have an EMD developer that knows more about SEO and SEM than 99.999% of the game, that the quality bs by Cutts was BS, and the real divide was cpc valuations.

TGIF

I came here to see if anyone was making intelligent noise here about what's going on with google, and I only see google lovers.

Keep the blinders on, google is out to do one thing, force any business benefiting from google to BUY PPC.

SEO is irrelevant now.

It's been irrelevant in serp's for 2 years.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: