1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google Analytics - Reporting

Hi All,

I love browsing thru this forum... really some great stuff out here... i wanted to see if some one could help me with Google Analytic reporting... I mean I know how to create custom reports...advanced segments... but my problem here is I can very well give an overview of the Traffic but giving in depth details beocme little tricky in excel... can some one help me understand which parameters to measure for some really useful reports...
  3. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

you have understand user behavior towards your website find out the conversion keywords, visits, unique and new visitors, country,
    time on site bonus rate, many things more just expand time on Google analytic all the things are clearly mentioned.....
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the reply I know google gives all the information... but its too much of information for a person like me... and extracting the best out of it... and comparisons is becoming really hectic... comparing each keyword metric in detail... checking out all search engine traffic... it is not an easy job...

So how do you report the traffic changes happening... every time tracking it is really difficult isn't it...

Hope m making sense
  7. Retired from SEO

for visits we use but I set goal page it is basically our thank you page contact us page and request a quote page...
    We get both reports site or conversion.

Date Range Site Visits Page views Unique Visitors New Visitors Returning Visits Bounce Rate

For Geo loc we use
    Country Visits Pages/Visit Avg. Time on Site % New Visits Bounce Rate
    for other resources
    Source Name Total Visits % Visits
    Search Engine Direct Traffic Referring Site
  9. No Profile Picture

wow thanks... that's good enough to get started with...
  11. Retired from SEO

Welcome to seo chat you just start from here>>http://forums.seochat.com/seo-help-general-chat-16/new-seochat-members-welcome-228535.html
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

The best analytics advice I have ever received is this:

There is more information available to you than you are likely to need or than can be useful to you at the current time. To avoid getting lost in the data...
    FIRST choose a specific action that you want to find out if you should take.
    Then decide what information would allow you to make that decision correctly.
    Then figure out what reports that are available in your analytics package (ie. google analytics in your case) either provide that information or a close enough analog.
    And only then delve into creating the specific reports.

In other words don't just start with all the potential reports and stare at them wondering how people generally interact with your site. Start with a question like 'Do I need a trust seal on the checkout page' or 'Do I need to change my navigation scheem to help customer find what they want to buy'.

Questions like 'Where are customers leaving my site' or 'Is my checkout confusing' are also helpful. But always start with a very specific question and identifying specific actions is what you need in the end.
  15. No Profile Picture

This is really helpful... Thanks alot let me give it a try and then I will be coming up with some more questions...
  17. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Look at pages with a high bounce rate - then ask why? Do they load properly in all browsers?

Look at keywords that people find your pages for, does it indicate that you could be creating a new page on a related subject in order to get more traffic?

Look at particular trends, are more people searching for product X than this time last year or last month?
    Maybe its time to create a new offer on that product or place a home page link to it due to its popularity.

Completely agree with the statement about the massive amount of information.

In analytics there is Data and then there is information effectively derieved from that Data. The two are very different!
  19. No Profile Picture

I totally agree with this statement " In analytics there is Data and then there is information effectively derieved from that Data. The two are very different!"... some times a newbie like myself... go in all directions and at the EOD nothing seems to be making sense... I guess picking up one point at a time and working your way thru it would make lot more sense....