Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Gained 3,000 links overnight

Hi,
    Our website has gained 3000 links overnight, they all seem to be comments on random articles. It says 'boardsdirect.co.uk says...' What could this be? Each comment is unique so it doesn't seem like someone has tried to attack us by sending lots of links to our site. i'm very confused.

Thanks
  3. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I am trying to imagine how someone could post 3000 unique posts overnight. How did you determine these arrived overnight? I would closely monitor your ranking for the next couple of weeks.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by DirectHits
    I am trying to imagine how someone could post 3000 unique posts overnight. How did you determine these arrived overnight? I would closely monitor your ranking for the next couple of weeks.
    we have had another 14k links since my original post. Rankings haven't been affected yet, I use AHrefs to track the backlinks. Do you think this could be an attack?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Pinder325,
    It is impossible to be definitive with the info you post. Some thoughts and forgive me if you already know this...

1. What links does G. report in your Console/Webmaster Tools?
    One of these reports will include the date G discovered the links.

You could have been hit with a black hat link spam attempt that is ignored by G.

2. Have you done a Google site search? (site:domain name)
    Is G indexing lots of weird pages on your domain?

Click through to the cached version of your pages and view the text-only version of your pages.

What you describe does not sound like this G cache hack but it is worth checking as this problem seems to have come back in prominence lately.

3. Google Analytics: User by location Report
    Are you receiving lots of traffic from eastern European/Russian countries?

It seems black hats are often located in these areas of the world. Your User Sessions by country can be a signpost to indicate this problem.

4. Google Analytics: Acquisition Report
    Is there lots of weird activity in Other Referrals reports?

There are lots of robots roaming the web and scraping snippets of content for useless link directories et al. Check out this report for strange referrals.

G knows there is lots of spam robot activity on the web and is unlikely to penalise your site.

If you have a lot of this type of activity, you may want to cull the traffic from your Analytics reports. G offers this help:

Comments on this post

• DirectHits agrees
    • Test-ok agrees
  9. Professional SEO

Great advice from John above.

There isn't the same motive for attacks today. According to Google, they are no doling out penalties for link manipulation.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by DirectHits
    Great advice from John above.

There isn't the same motive for attacks today. According to Google, they are no doling out penalties for link manipulation.
    But if my site got a manual review could I still be penalised?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Pinder325,
    If G gave you a manual penalty all the above advice is irrelevant.

Were you given a manual penalty or are you just worried that it may have happened?

Your first step should be to identify if a real problem exists. All you have described so far is the link acquisition findings as measured by a 3rd party SEO tool. These tools have no importance or relevance to Google. All they give you is the suspicion of a possible problem.

You now need to turn to G and your Analytics/Webmaster Tools for a better set of diagnostics.

1. A Hacked Website
    This does not exactly fit what you described but if your site was hit with the hack that creates thousands of false pages in G's cache, G will likely drop your site until you clear up the hack problem.

Did a G "site search" identify this as a problem?

Have you had any G messages about your site being hacked?

2. A G. Manual Penalty
    Did you receive a G notification of a manual penalty?

A manual penalty is pretty rare these days as the algo automates the exclusion of many spam factors of old.

Are you on a new domain? Is there any chance you are on an old domain that got hit with an old manual G penalty?
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Sep 19th, 2017 at 04:10 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    Hi Pinder325,
    If G gave you a manual penalty all the above advice is irrelevant.

Were you given a manual penalty or are you just worried that it may have happened?

Your first step should be to identify if a real problem exists. All you have described so far is the link acquisition findings as measured by a 3rd party SEO tool. These tools have no importance or relevance to Google. All they give you is the suspicion of a possible problem.

You now need to turn to G and your Analytics/Webmaster Tools for a better set of diagnostics.

1. A Hacked Website
    This does not exactly fit what you described but if your site was hit with the hack that creates thousands of false pages in G's cache, G will likely drop your site until you clear up the hack problem.

Did a G "site search" identify this as a problem?

Have you had any G messages about your site being hacked?

2. A G. Manual Penalty
    Did you receive a G notification of a manual penalty?

A manual penalty is pretty rare these days as the algo automates the exclusion of many spam factors of old.

Are you on a new domain? Is there any chance you are on an old domain that got hit with an old manual G penalty?
    No I haven't got a penalty yet, I'm just worried that I will get one, the site:search didn't bring anything worrying up.
  17. Professional SEO

I don't know if anyone has tested it, to verify Google's claim. But they have stated they are no longer handing out these link penalties, that link spam is now just identified and any seo benefits denied.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees
    • JohnAimit agrees
  19. No Profile Picture

From what I have learned, Google knows when you are creating spammy links yourself and when someone else is trying to hurt you.So you should pass safely on this issue
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm with DirectHits,

I believe G simply ignores bad links these days.

5 Sep 17: Google: We Ignore Tons Of Links But Which Links Is Almost Impossible To Figure Out

"Gary (Illyes, Google) then added that Google "ignores tons of links" and that even if you collect data from Google Search Console and third-party tools " that you won't know which ones are absolutely critical.'"

Not to say that manual penalties are not sometimes applied for other reasons. Keep monitoring things but don't jump to conclusions that all ranking changes are about links.
  23. Contributing User

I'm not so sure you can't get penalties for bad links anymore, manual ones maybe but this article makes a pretty good case for algorithmic Penguin penalties still existing.

https://moz.com/blog/google-algorith...s-post-penguin

I'd personally not be comfortable with thousands of horrible links pointing at my site without disavowing them.
    Last edited by IvanDrago; Sep 20th, 2017 at 03:56 AM.
  25. Contributing User

Originally Posted by affan
    From what I have learned, Google knows when you are creating spammy links yourself and when someone else is trying to hurt you.So you should pass safely on this issue
    I wouldn't trust Google to know the difference either.

Comments on this post

• DirectHits agrees : Trusting Google is not a good habit to get into.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I also faced same Problem for my website. It is happening because that Particular site is redirecting to different different sub-domains in different countries. This is not a spammers work. You need to cross check all the factors of the site.
  29. No Profile Picture

Maybe your competitor use black hat to automaticly add backlinks to your website to make the rankings low or make google 's untrust
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: