1. No Profile Picture
    Learning more about SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Free Royalty Free Images

Hi everyone,

So someone stated that if I use free royalty free images, that Google penalizes me b/c I didn't pay for them or because tons of other people
    also use them.

That makes no sense. How would Google even know if I paid for them or not. I can pay for an image & tons of other people can pay
    for the same image too, so what difference does it make?

Please let me know.

Thanks
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

There is no way for Google to know which image you've paid for and which you haven't, so there shouldn't be any direct relation between using free images and a negative impact on your website's performance in Google.

Caveat - If you're using an image off the web that has been copyrighted, Google might take down your site following a complaint from the copyright owner

SEO FAQs - You might find your answer here.
    SEOchat Forum Rules - Read Before You Post
  5. No Profile Picture
    Learning more about SEO

Originally Posted by pro_seo
    There is no way for Google to know which image you've paid for and which you haven't, so there shouldn't be any direct relation between using free images and a negative impact on your website's performance in Google.

Caveat - If you're using an image off the web that has been copyrighted, Google might take down your site following a complaint from the copyright owner
    Yes, but this was a 2 part question, not just about whether I paid for it, but about others using it as well & therefore (I don't know), it being duplicate content.

I don't infringe on copyright, I don't even know why you brought that up.
  7. Just a Photographer
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

You're fine using paid stock images or Royal Free images. Duplicate content is more for text, not images.

Comments on this post

• mainstwebguy agrees
    - Mike

Jack of all trades, master of none.
  9. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Originally Posted by ep2002
    Yes, but this was a 2 part question, not just about whether I paid for it, but about others using it as well & therefore (I don't know), it being duplicate content.

I don't infringe on copyright, I don't even know why you brought that up.
    There are hundreds of people using the same image bought from stock image sites and so duplicate content issues do not arise with images.

Also I didn't mean to say that you infringe on copyright. It was just meant as a alert for anyone using free images off the web.
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Google doesn't penalise for duplicate content anyway (using the same images, phrases, "template descriptions" etc), they're used to it.
    They just rank "high quality" content with high quality/volume (natural/trusted) back-links, and (their interpretation of) relevance to the search query.
    Of course, original content may be deemed "higher quality", but a certain amount of duplication is bound to happen and Google would be silly to penalise for it.

If you want more information on this, watch these 2 (long, and quite recent) videos:
    Andrey Lipattsev: Search Quality Senior Strategist at Google Ireland
    John Mueller: Webmaster Trends Analyst - Google Switzerland

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  13. Contributing User

The one HUGE benefit of using your own original pictures/graphics is that if they are 100% unique, you may bring in traffic to view/watch whatever media you've created. A great example is the facebook posts that have a picture thumb and start out with "Bla bla bla, and then they did THIS..." which generally leads to a video.

I'm not saying i'm a fan of this strategy (i feel its overdone), but i know these can generate some great traffic when promoting a new blogpost, product, etc.
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein
  15. Contributing User

as a side note, i've come across this site and have used them here and there. You might find it handy.... Death To The Stock Photo