1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

First starting out on a site.

So a couple small businesses I know were inquiring about SEO. I am in no way shape or form ready to try to sell my services... still learning way to much and lots of testing to do...

Anyways I took a gander over some of their HTML... and wow... it's just a total mess.

I mean at > 1000 pages, canonical tags on every page, but all the actual URL of the page their on, so just pointing to themselves, keyword stuffing, etc etc.... I mean where do you begin?

As a business, do you just take on certain pages at a time, move on to somebody different, or just start at point A and work thru...
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

You decide if you are going to attempt making a race car out of a bent up shopping cart.... or if you are going to learn the business objectives of the company and build a website that matches them.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  5. SEO Professional
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by millerb7
    So a couple small businesses I know were inquiring about SEO. I am in no way shape or form ready to try to sell my services... still learning way to much and lots of testing to do...

Anyways I took a gander over some of their HTML... and wow... it's just a total mess.

I mean at > 1000 pages, canonical tags on every page, but all the actual URL of the page their on, so just pointing to themselves, keyword stuffing, etc etc.... I mean where do you begin?

As a business, do you just take on certain pages at a time, move on to somebody different, or just start at point A and work thru...
    EGOL is the voice or reason! listen to his suggestion. You could spend thousands on re-vamping their site to meet SEO guidelines, or get them hooked up with GOOD SEO from the ground up.

Company might just think you are trying to upsell them so make sure you explain (with prices) how much work is involved for "fixing" their site.
    Get Your FREE SEO Guide on how I managed to grab the #1 position on Google
    for hundreds of extremely competitive keywords...

==> Get FREE Google Ranking Guide Here!