1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Faking the page on backlink urls. Good idea? Bad idea?

I have a website that offers several different products. I want to boost the search rank for a couple of the products. I also give out URLs to libraries for accessing our website. I currently point them to a library portal page. I am wondering what would happen if I give the libraries URLs that link to the product pages, where the GET query of the URL could be parsed by PHP to deliver the HTML content of the library portal page instead of the normal content of the product page. So this would not redirect the browser in any way that the web crawler might penalize for. Would this work to boost product page search rank? Or would I incur a penalty in some way? Is there a better way to take advantage of all the links to our website that libraries are placing on their pages?
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Not sure what you're talking about but I will say beyond a shadow of a doubt:
    You're not the first to think of it
    Google is smarter than you.

With that said, if you are looking for quick cheap traffic, no problem if you can get away with it. If you are building a business you want to remain visible in the long-term, stay whiter than white.

Comments on this post

• Robertomac agrees
  5. seo@robmacdesign.co.uk
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean either. It does sound like a blatent attempt to fool Google however, and as Kernel quite rightly says, Google is smarter than you so this method is definitley not a long term strategy. Any strategy which is basically a way to pull the wool over Google's eyes will be found out and penalised in some way. If it sounds dodgy, it more than likely is dodgy.

Why not attempt to get the libraries to link to you using text anchor links? This is a risk free method and is probably the most powerful method of boosting your site up the ranks.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Not sure what you're talking about...
    Here is exactly what I'm talking about doing:

Page I want to increase search rank: verbalearn.com /sat-vocabulary.html

Sample link I currently give to libraries: verbalearn.com /library_portal.html?library=kpq8n3mxuv5bh2dy4ggt

Sample link for what I am wondering would work: verbalearn.com /sat-vocabulary.html?library=kpq8n3mxuv5bh2dy4ggt

Any thoughts about this specific tactic?
  9. Roll the dice.. and live

Originally Posted by gogoskiracer
    Here is exactly what I'm talking about doing:

Page I want to increase search rank: verbalearn.com /sat-vocabulary.html

Sample link I currently give to libraries: verbalearn.com /library_portal.html?library=kpq8n3mxuv5bh2dy4ggt

Sample link for what I am wondering would work: verbalearn.com /sat-vocabulary.html?library=kpq8n3mxuv5bh2dy4ggt

Any thoughts about this specific tactic?
    Who you link to does not effect your rankings in a positive manner.

A direct statement from Google re linking out

Q 23. I know that inbound links will help my siteís ranking in Google search results but is that true for outbound links as well? I always link to quality websites from my articles where my visitors can read more about that topic but do these outbound links aid search rankings as well?

Kaspar Szymanski: No, they donít contribute directly towards your siteís rankings; however they add value for your readership and they contribute to the community, so feel free to continue this good practice. On the other hand, being selective and preferring quality sites to link to might help in how Google perceives your site.
    http://www.labnol.org/internet/google-answers-seo-questions/13731/
    Live the moment
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by gazzahk
    Who you link to does not effect your rankings in a positive manner.
    Thanks, but I'm talking about inbound links. My site is verbalearn.com. I give out links to our site for libraries to get access our service. Those inbound links, on the library pages, do affect the search ranking. Do you have any thoughts from this perspective? I can give them any link I want...
  13. Roll the dice.. and live

Originally Posted by gogoskiracer
    Thanks, but I'm talking about inbound links. My site is verbalearn.com. I give out links to our site for libraries to get access our service. Those inbound links, on the library pages, do affect the search ranking. Do you have any thoughts from this perspective? I can give them any link I want...
    It is more helpful to have the desirable anchor text included in the link. But i do not know if the actual link adress matters ie do they link via an AT or do they link via the url?