Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture

Experience or Qualification?

Hi
    If I am :SEO Professional, Should I have a higher Qualification to join in big company or it is just based on experience?
    Please help!

Comments on this post

• naganna agrees
  3. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Bindaaaas
    Experience or Qualification?
    Most things in life are easier when you can combine the two...

There are no really well recognized SEO qualification thus for SEO track record is everything if you are trying to enter at the top and enthusiasm and basic understanding would be desirable at entry level...

Good luck..
    Live the moment
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

Experience and qualifications.... lots of people with vast experience have a poor performance record and lots of people with high qualifications have a poor performance record.

I would hire someone who can produce results way ahead of someone with experience and qualifications.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

SEO is all about result... I prefer the person who can produce result rather than qualification and experience. I have seen many people who have experience but not able to produce results...
  9. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by EGOL
    Experience and qualifications.... lots of people with vast experience have a poor performance record and lots of people with high qualifications have a poor performance record.

I would hire someone who can produce results way ahead of someone with experience and qualifications.
    This is stilll rather subjective.

I'm sure everyone can produce results... so you would hire anyone!

I do know what you mean but people see what they want to see... and "producing results" can mean, well... going from below #1000 up to #82 is an impressive jump to a beginner.
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

You need to be expert in SEO ,no need of qualification but you should have completed at least graduation .
  13. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by jithuden
    You need to be expert in SEO ,no need of qualification but you should have completed at least graduation .
    Huh? hmmm... You need to be an expert in SEO without any qualifications but graduated from what?

Does pre-school count?

I gradulated from ukulele classes when I have young, and I was extremely talented... does this count?
  15. Joe
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

For me in combo of all three.

I want to show my experience and show the results I've produced by at best getting client testimonials or at least being able to show hard figures showing results.

In terms of qualifications the only thing I'd consider is the Google Adwords Qual.

However enthusiasm, desire, and understanding is huge too in my book.
  17. No Profile Picture

Cool

Just focus on gaining good results and experience. Qualifications can give an authoritive measure, but in the long run, it's always the results that count. Perform well and you won't have any troubles going to the higher level
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Great replies.
    I think Qualification & Experience both are equally important to show BEST RESULT.
  21. I Never Finish Anythi
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

I have played with electrical motors, Power transmission, Traction, Torque and other electronic and electrical circuits for 4 years, but settled down for SEO. In my opinon nothing is more boring than calculating power losses or transmission losses using those old school formulae. Never had even a niggling bit of interest in that thingie.. Was always be fascinated by the internet and the way people made it the source of their earnings.

All it takes is some curiousity, some inquisitiveness, some enthusiasm, some guidance and a lotsa frustration from the tasks you want to switch away from to come into the marketing industry. But to survive, you need to be ever evolving and very innovative..

Practical Exposure and High Trainability element is something I think is the key to success, and that enhances experience as well
    Last edited by lovekills_s; Feb 17th, 2009 at 04:17 AM.
    Link Diary - Build Links Fast & Easy. Similar to Linkmarket, with option of three way link exchange and anchor rotation.

**"Save SEO Industry - GO VIRAL!! - Tips and Tricks ."**
    **"Live, not just to survive, But to Rule."**
  23. No Profile Picture

Both qualifications and experience are important. You won't get any experience if you don't have the qualifications needed. These two are prerequisites to get a job. Hire the applicant who possessed both.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

More than qualification or experience, you need to have the aptitude ... if you don't have "that thing" in you, neither the experience nor the qualification will be able to help.

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees : Someone think! ...shhhhhh... don't tell anyone they might start to!
  27. Contributing User

If you think from the employers point of view..I would see the resume( i.e qualifications ) at the point of hiring ( Ofcourse experience counts)
    If the guy is appointed..his resume is put into records and in the shelf..
    Next day when he joins the company and work on the project..the employer stand behind him watching his experience on the project..not the qualifications..

SO..Experience counts..!
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think it's a combonation of experience, results and education. Anyone can get results using black hat practices, but is that what a larger company is looking for? No.

I'm working on the SEO for a site right now that receives over 1 million unique visitors a month. They wanted me to take a look at their site and see what I can change about the current SEO to increase ratings to increase traffic. Many larger companies don't hire anyone who doesn't atleast have a 4 year degree, even if your experience is there and well documented, unless you have built up a reputation or worked for another larger company. But, that's not all corporations.

If you're asking because your looking to get into SEO as a career, just keep working on your improving your skills and keep your statistics with the before and after results to show a potential employer on your job interview. Good luck!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page: