Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Exact match domain name

What are ppls opinions on exact keyphrase text in domain name?

I know recommendations are to avoid it, but anecdotally, in my experience they actually perform VERY well, particularly for low search volume and high customer value services that I'm targeting.

The reason I ask is that I can currently pick up an exact match domain that has very weak competition.
    If I were to do so, what would be the best way to implement it? Use it as a "sister/daughter" site to my main site (and set it up as exactmatchdomain.my domain.com) or set it up as an entirely different domain?
    I'm guessing the former would be better as it would retain more link equity, right?!

Thanks in advance!
  3. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

I have noticed there are many exact match domains are ranking well in Google maps having this.Even I have worked for many sites those have exact match.........

Even in some generic terms like IT Contractor, UK Contractor these terms are contractors those working to save money from income tax in the UK are getting ranked well in the UK searches with the same keywords. But It doesn't mean if you don't have exact match domain then you can't rank but it will give you an advantage in somehow.

And regarding exact match domain as it can rank high but the exact match tends to get penalized more easily so we should ignore it. As in 2012 Google update, huge, no. of sites got hit due to this.
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  5. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I can say this:

I once had a site in the #1 spot (for a few years) that had that ranked phrase in the domain. After Google's EMD update, it fell to the second page.

I currently have a site that I think should be ranking better for the exact match phrase in the domain. But it is not even in the top four pages.

I don't think they work for Google, though they seem to still work for Yahoo/Bing.
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Exact match is just one aspect of the equation as far as ranking goes. When Google's EMD updated it just knocked down sites that didn't have the many other aspects working.

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees : Sorry Test, no rep left
    Last edited by Test-ok; Oct 25th, 2017 at 12:14 AM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Yep, most overlook the other aspects of the EMD update and why it does what it does.

It affected low quality sites that were ranking just because of the domain name. Sites that provided no quality at all, those were the ones smacked by that update. It has earned the emd domains a reputation for not being a good idea.

If you create a quality site, providing quality content with a great UX then the name of the domain will not matter in my opinion. In the local mom and pop service industry, it is rather hard not to have a domain name with out a keyword in it.

Examples....
    nytaxiservice, dcplumers, bostonelectric, billyslandscaping, apexnursery (plants, trees, flowers ), pamsdaycare (child care).

All of these can rank if you create a quality site around them and perform proper SEO. It is truly about quality !
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Prof.stan
    but the exact match tends to get penalized more easily so we should ignore it.
    Either I don't understand this or I'm missing something. As far as I know EMDs don't get penalized more or less easily than any other domain ..... ?
  13. No Profile Picture

If you have exact match domain that doesn't mean you will be getting high ranks on search engines, there are other factors mater. but Keywords in domain names still getting small advantages.
  15. Contributing User

Hmmm, so it seems that the consensus (on here at least) is that EMD may provide a slight advantage, assuming all other factors are equal and the site content matches what is inferred by the EMD name

So really the question then becomes: how do I avoid it being viewed as a "gateway page"?
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by sirbassface
    Hmmm, so it seems that the consensus (on here at least) is that EMD may provide a slight advantage, assuming all other factors are equal and the site content matches what is inferred by the EMD name

So really the question then becomes: how do I avoid it being viewed as a "gateway page"?
    If you take the domain name out,,,

"Treat it like any other site! Create quality, useful content and forget about the name.!"
  19. Digital Marketing

...And regarding exact match domain as it can rank high but the exact match tends to get penalized more easily so we should ignore it. As in 2012 Google update, huge, no. of sites got hit due to this.
    Sorry? Care to explain that a little?
  21. Contributing User

I see them as a bit of a negative from a different perspective.

Businesses usually offer more than one service to more than one area so you really limit yourself going for an EMD.

It's also bad for branding and generally looks cheap from a customer's point of view.
  23. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by IvanDrago
    It's also bad for branding and generally looks cheap from a customer's point of view.
    Maybe some domains like joespressurewashingand-paintingtopeka.net would look cheap but nothing wrong with a1deliveryservice.com

Know wut I mean?
  25. Contributing User

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Maybe some domains like joespressurewashingand-paintingtopeka.net would look cheap but nothing wrong with a1deliveryservice.com

Know wut I mean?
    True, they've been pretty smart and use it as a brand name too.

You can imagine people sharing "A1 Delivery Service are great!" on social media and the likes, not so much with the first example.
  27. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Sorry? Care to explain that a little?
    Sorry my bad, I had to explain it..... As I was thinking in another aspect for example if I want to target "ac repairing las vegas" and I know this is the transactional term for las vegas and around.

So I select the domain like acrepairinglasvegas.com, ac-repairing-lasvegas.com, acrepairinglasvegas.net etc, I also know Google influenced by anchor text and generally most of the time we generate backlinks with brand anchor text or we get external links (referrals ) with brand anchor text and every time we didn't generate or receive links from authorized or relevant page those have better matrixes as per Google guidelines so, your site will be generated huge no. of backlinks with money or similar achor text so in that scenario, I believe Google can easily track your site if you select exact match domain then another domain name.
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Oct 25th, 2017 at 09:21 AM.
  29. Digital Marketing

Sorry my bad, I had to explain it..... As I was thinking in another aspect for example if I want to target "ac repairing las vegas" and I know this is the transactional term for las vegas and around.

So I select the domain like acrepairinglasvegas.com, ac-repairing-lasvegas.com, acrepairinglasvegas.net etc, I also know Google influenced by anchor text and generally most of the time we generate backlinks with brand anchor text or we get external links (referrals ) with brand anchor text and every time we didn't generate or receive links from authorized or relevant page those have better matrixes as per Google guidelines so, your site will be generated huge no. of backlinks with money or similar achor text so in that scenario, I believe Google can easily track your site if you select exact match domain then another domain name.
    I think I am a little more lost after your explanation

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : sorry you didn't get this
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: