Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Email Marketing for SEO

This being my 500th post, it feels like a bit of a milestone, and I thought I'd write about something that is seldom discussed: SEO and email marketing, or, more specifically, how email marketing can be helpful to your SEO efforts. Ideally, your efforts to promote your website should not be limited to SEO alone. Digital marketing is a complex affair, and its various aspects can work effectively together to bring targeted traffic and conversions. Email marketing is a big subject, but I will only talk here about how email marketing can assist your SEO efforts.

As you know, the two pillars of successful SEO are killer content and quality backlinks. The ultimate point of SEO is goal conversion. How can email marketing help?

Content. Creating content is hard work. As it is created, we want to get the most mileage out of it. Newbies at web marketing often make the mistake of reusing the same content on the Web, for example, by putting the very same article on their primary website and then also on blogs and in article directories, for the benefit of backlinks. But in the eyes of search engines such “reprints” merely create duplicate content, and this tends to hurt your site’s SEO and also reduces the value of those backlinks. However, although this may change in the future, at present search engines don’t read or index email messages. If you have a mailing list, you can create a newsletter and circulate it to your subscribers by email and also publish it on your site without any worries about content duplication. That’s double mileage out of the same content.

Backlinks. These are the backbone of SEO. One of the challenges in link building is getting potential readers to know that you have got fresh fantastic content up there. Marketers are increasingly aware that social network promotion can be helpful in this department, but they sometimes forget that good old email works just as well! Use your email newsletter to let your subscribers know you have updated your site; include links to the new pages with brief descriptions. This will drive interested traffic to those pages, hopefully winning you backlinks if people see value in your content. Linking miracles can happen if your email newsletter goes viral via forwarding.

Goal conversion. Especially if your product or service has a long, complex sales cycle, you should not rely on SEO alone to retain your prospects. Sometimes potential customers spend whole months doing due diligence before they commit to buying this or that solution. They often start with informational, not commerce-oriented search queries. People may first find your site through such a query, but then they may easily forget the query they used and the fact that they bookmarked your URL. However, if you get them to subscribe to your newsletter, you can keep building trust and branding through the entire length of the sales cycle. In this scenario email marketing does not necessarily improve your SEO as such, but it helps it achieve its goal.

So here are some tips that will help you develop email marketing intelligently in conjunction with your SEO:

• Use a legitimate mailing list. Absolutely do not send spam. Spam is illegal in some parts of the world. In the US it is illegal under the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003. Never buy or rent mailing lists even if they are touted as "opt-in." A purchased email list is never opt-in; it is always a spam list. If you send spam, you will be reported, blocked by ISPs, harassed by SpamCop, blacklisted. Not only your email address but your whole domain may find itself on blacklists and blocklists, which can' be good for your SEO either. If you are on a shared IP address, other users will suffer too. So how do you build a genuine list?
    • Create a signup center on your site, visible from all pages. You can also use other techniques to get people to sign up. For example, take them to the signup page when they click on "Lean more" information links. Or create pop-ups inviting them to sign-up once they have posted a blog comment. Always let them know that you won't share their information (and be true to your promise).
    • The most reliable form of email subscription is "verified opt-in" or "double opt-in." People opt-in by signing up and are then invited to validate their subscription by following a link in the confirmation email sent to them. This has been show to significantly reduce the number of spam complaints. (Yes, people can report your messages as spam even if they have properly subscribed!)
    • Provide a lot of terrific content on your site before expecting visitors to sign up. Use nice charts and graphs a lot in your information: many readers perceive them as signs of expertise.
    • Always include your company’s physical address in each email message. (This is required by the CAN-SPAM Act.)
    • Always include an easy unsubscribe option, preferably via a live link. (This also honors the CAN-SPAM Act).
    • Do not bombard your subscribers with messages that are pure marketing. Create a genuine and informative newsletter. At least 95% or so of each message should consist of free, high quality, valuable information. Giving away free value is the way of modern digital marketing, and falling away from it puts you at a significant disadvantage.
    • Invest in a sophisticated email marketing program that enables you to create beautiful HTML messages in a WYSWYG ("what you see is what you get") editor. You can then reuse the HTML on your site. Alternatively, such software often has the ability to "fetch" a page of your site from a URL and use it as the body of your message.
    • Sequence and automate your email marketing campaigns with autoresponders. Most email marketing software today supports schedulers and event-triggered autoresponders. This is a big subject that can be researched independently.
    • Track delivery and open rates. The best email marketing applications today have this ability. You will know how many of your messages bounced, how many ended up in a junk folder, how many made it into the inbox, how many were opened, and how many had the links in them followed to your website.
    • Invest in a good SMTP (email delivery) service, don't just send via your regular email provider. Such a service can provide you with a dedicated email server and IP, scale and monitor your email campaigns, authenticate your emails and perform reputation management for you, including dealing with spam reports, ISP blocks and blacklistings (they call this black list resolution). (PM me if you like, I used to work in email delivery, know quite a bit about this stuff and can give you more tips.)
    • Avoid the language of spam in your messages, so as not to trigger spam filters. Such words as "price," "discount," "save" and even "free" can easily get your message blocked. Don't try to be clever and write "fr3e" or "d1$c0unt" -- it will only make things worse.
    • Keep your mailing list clean; automate the deletion of bouncing addresses (usually your email marketing software can easily process such bounces). A high bounce rate is a sign of spam to the ISPs.
    • Test, analyze and adjust your campaigns to maximize their efficiency. Look into A/B split testing and multivariate testing.
    • Include a prominent FTAF ("forward to a friend") link.
    • Include a link to the Web version of your newsletter within the email version: that way, when a plagiarist steals your newsletter and puts it on a website, which sometimes happens, the plagiarized piece will is still linking to your site and possibly driving some traffic to you.

Of course, there is a lot more to email marketing, but these are the basics that you need to know.

Comments on this post

• JVRudnick agrees : great counsel, Phil!
    • KernelPanic agrees : grats on 500 Phil! Wish we had more like you
    • seogoat agrees : good post for your 500th!
    • EGOL agrees : Great advice, thanks!
    • himanshu160 agrees : great efforts phil
    • terriwells agrees
    • Jesus Nofollow agrees : niiiiice
    • pro_seo agrees : Great post Philip, Kudos!
    • embliss agrees : good info.
    • carlbowlerhat agrees
    • rajesh.solse agrees
    • seopeak agrees : Great post Phil, thank you for sharing it with us. Gives a lot of value to the forum, and might be very useful for some people.
    • itcourses2013 agrees : hlo
    • RishabhM agrees : I agree with this post. Thanks for sharing.
    • vegos agrees : Thanks for sharing.
    • Ajayfrantic agrees : Thank you!! great advice
    • rangpuronline agrees : nice & helpful
    • spyindia409 agrees
    • julianoferreira agrees
    • priyanka444 agrees : hey philip first of all congratulations for your 500th post and i egree with your post about e-mail marketting, and in my poin of view e-mail marketting has much than other marketting methods.
    • rohit03_catalys agrees
    • renuiie agrees : Thankyou for sharing this usefull infromation
    • seomaster5 agrees : Thanks for this post it was helpful
    • agrees
    • mike.cluster agrees : Good Post , thanks for share good information
    • chakradhar agrees : good thanks for info
    • gurvinderpal agrees : Good Info
    • jennifererrasta agrees : comprehensive and helpful
    • aakkam agrees : Its really informative.
    • nishantraj agrees : Email marketing is now these days become an important tool for promoting or selling a product or service.
    • transasianews agrees : great post......its really very helpful.. thanks
    • kashmirobserver agrees : great post and imformative
    • getacopywriter agrees : Thank you! Very helpful, nice article.
    • Jeniffercartet agrees : I am totally new to this "email marketing" field your post helped me to learn easyly. Thanks for sharing the information.
    • bhup kinha agrees : nice blog , i ask if we do bookmarking, i choose discription same as which put in my web site, then i submitted to it bookmarking site
    • kcorporate agrees : great information on your article.. we also provide email marketing services with reasonable prices. for more information please visit our site at Kcorporatekconnections.com
    • johnmessy agrees : i am totally satisfied with your points, ofcourse e-marketing is the best option for marketing.
    • Growfast11 agrees : Nice advice , thanks.
    • hemangi46 agrees
    • blackboxrm agrees
    • lushi agrees : Nice Post Philip.
    • nakiasmith01 agrees : Nice post learned new Technic of using mail for marketing purpose
    • jualmetemurah agrees : Excellent Post Technic
    • allenathomas agrees
    • vishnushivam agrees : Thanks for your advise. I appreciate your experience on Internet Marketing.Regards
    • v1technologies agrees : Nice post, like it.
    • ODI agrees : Yeah Great Post, really informative for me.
    Last edited by PhilipSEO; Apr 7th, 2010 at 02:42 PM. Reason: formatting
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

great post Phil....and the "opt-out" is very very important....seen far too many of those spam emails that do NOT offer same....but ain't had the time to go after them.

solid biz advice here for anyone looking for email marketing management!

Jim

Comments on this post

• spyindia409 agrees : great Post and thanks for giving great Information
    • renuiie agrees : this is a great post
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

Twitter: @JVRudnick

read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!

5. 魔鬼是我的背部

Lightbulb

I would like to add one thing here. It is perfectly legal to spam in United States as long as you follow the CAN SPAM ACT guidelines.
    The CAN SPAM act itself gives you the right to spam and that's why is commonly referred to as the 'You Can Spam Act'.

Comments on this post

• nurunnaharamily agrees : thank you,I LOVE THIS POST
    • Adesh Saxena agrees : Thanks
    • rohit03_catalys agrees
    • izajul agrees : thats a good question, but what is CAN spam rule?let me know please.
    • bhup kinha agrees
  7. Philip@SearchBenefit.com

Thanks a lot for all the comments and appreciation!

Himanshu, you are right, the CAN SPAM Act makes spam legal -- until the recipient unsubscribes. One thing I should add is the same act prohibits the use of misleading subject lines in emails, making the manipulative use of the subject line essentially illegal. You know, there's an old marketing chestnut about the subject line that allegedly has resulted in the greatest number of sales than any other: "They laughed when I sat down at the piano, but then I started to play." I personally don't believe that this is a true statistic, but the point is the CAN SPAM Act doesn't let you do that sort of thing any more. (And I appreciate it -- I don't want to be suckered into opening useless email.)

There's a lot of interesting facts about email and spam that are not widely know. You may have noticed that there is less spam coming over the transom daily? That's not because less spam being sent. In fact, there is more and more of it being sent. Spam malware is constantly being developed, it takes control of the SPU time of infected computers using them to send spam, such compters are joined into whole networks for spam manufacture (called "botnets"). Which keep sending and sending and sending... But the reason we are getting less spam is because antispam measures are becoming more and more effective. Indeed, 95% (!) of all email is currently being blocked before reaching the inbox (because it is spam).

Spam is a bad thing not only because it's a nuisance and an abuse of resources. It contributes significantly to global warning: http://greeninc.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/spam-and-global-warming/

Spam has proliferated so widely because SMTP (the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) which handles email relay over the Internet is not inherently well equipped to prevent abuse. Its original purpose was to make sending messages simple, via open relays, and spam is one consequence of this simplicity (another is the ease of legitimate email, of course).

Anyway, spam sucks. Whether legal or not, it is wrong.

Comments on this post

• iqbal51 agrees
    • rangpuronline agrees
    • sarvjeetseo agrees : this is very important information
    • renuiie agrees : thanks for sharing this atricale.
  9. Philip@SearchBenefit.com

Cosmic synchronization! I see that Himanshu has just today published his own thoughts on email marketing. I highly recommend his blog.

Comments on this post

• Honey2912 agrees : Hi Philip thanks for posting the information..... Great and most useful
    • 66manoj11 agrees : very informative.
    • pravien1 agrees
  11. 魔鬼是我的背部

Originally Posted by PhilipSEO
    Thanks a lot for all the comments and appreciation!

Himanshu, you are right, the CAN SPAM Act makes spam legal -- until the recipient unsubscribes. One thing I should add is the same act prohibits the use of misleading subject lines in emails, making the manipulative use of the subject line essentially illegal. You know, there's an old marketing chestnut about the subject line that allegedly has resulted in the greatest number of sales than any other: "They laughed when I sat down at the piano, but then I started to play." I personally don't believe that this is a true statistic, but the point is the CAN SPAM Act doesn't let you do that sort of thing any more. (And I appreciate it -- I don't want to be suckered into opening useless email.)

There's a lot of interesting facts about email and spam that are not widely know. You may have noticed that there is less spam coming over the transom daily? That's not because less spam being sent. In fact, there is more and more of it being sent. Spam malware is constantly being developed, it takes control of the SPU time of infected computers using them to send spam, such compters are joined into whole networks for spam manufacture (called "botnets"). Which keep sending and sending and sending... But the reason we are getting less spam is because antispam measures are becoming more and more effective. Indeed, 95% (!) of all email is currently being blocked before reaching the inbox (because it is spam).

Spam is a bad thing not only because it's a nuisance and an abuse of resources. It contributes significantly to global warning: http://greeninc.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/spam-and-global-warming/

Spam has proliferated so widely because SMTP (the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) which handles email relay over the Internet is not inherently well equipped to prevent abuse. Its original purpose was to make sending messages simple, via open relays, and spam is one consequence of this simplicity (another is the ease of legitimate email, of course).

Anyway, spam sucks. Whether legal or not, it is wrong.
    I agree with you Philip. But these days people are dealing with new type of spam which is generally not filtered by mail servers. I would call it the opt-in by default Spam. You opt for something and you also get something for free i.e. spam. This is the spam you get from your own service providers. Like you purchase a domain from GoDaddy and you start getting their spam mails. You subscribe to webpronews letters and you also get their 'sponsor updates' free of cost. One interesting thing about webpronews newsletter is that if you unsubscribe you wont get any 'sponsors update' but at the same time you won't get their newsletter either. What a great way to paste ads. Guess what. I even get spams on my cell phone and that too from my own service provider 3-4 times a day.

Comments on this post

• renuiie agrees : i agree but spam mail are not generally filtered with my mail servers
    • DeterminedSol agrees : I agree with this post. I get a lot of junk emails from my service providers. Do you have any suggestions on how to prevent spam on my cell phone. Cell phone spam is something that drive me nuts. I can handle spam email, but not text messages.
    Last edited by himanshu160; Apr 8th, 2010 at 09:31 AM.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Wow, himanshu, that sucks. My cell phone provider let me opt out of advertising messages (which I did); now the only time I get a message from them is when I pay my phone bill via phone, just to confirm the payment.

I can definitely relate to the GoDaddy spam by default. I get a regular marketing email from them, but I don't want to turn it off because I'm afraid I might miss something important or that I'd really want to know about. I've seen some companies let you fine tune the kind of messages you receive; I wish more would do that.
  15. Philip@SearchBenefit.com

Adarniya Himanshu, you bring up interesting points. I still think email that offers a one click unsubscribe option is one step above generic spam as we know it. At least with the unsubscribe option it is one-time spam, at least in my case. I unsubscribe from everything that offers the unsubscribe option and report all spam that doesn't offer it, and all other spam that I don't like for any reason.

By the way, I have a bunch of stuff on Godaddy but never receive any spam from them. My experience in the email world has taught me to carefully opt out of everything I don't want to receive. But you make a good point about passive opt-in, it's all over the place. Godaddy is one the most upsell-crazy opt-in-by-default sites that I know, but those pre-filled checkboxes' charms don't work on me. It takes patience to go through the options and manually cancel the pre-selected subscriptions. But remark that double opt-in cannot be pre-selected since the user still has to click through the link in the validation email. Another indicator is what the email marketing world calls "positive consent." The latter means that the user actively and specifically requests the information sent to him or her. The best practice for email marketing, double opt-in, is one form of giving positive consent.

You are right that CAN-SPAM essentially legalizes spam, but it also holds it to a certain standard and makes it more manageable. I find that it isn't a bad solution. And spammers are being prosecuted under it (with multi-million-dollar fines) by the US Federal Trade Commission. And you don't need to be in the states to get in trouble.

The problem with spam that it is email's equivalent of carpet bombing. Generic spam is non-targeted. It's inefficient and can only be successful on any scale if it's used in mind-boggling quantities. Therefore generic spam is criminally inefficient. The best practitioners of what I want to call civilized email marketing really know how to target. For example, if you are awesome with with both email and Web paralytics and know how to integrate them, you can do sophisticated sophisticated testing, list segmentation and statistical analysis of your recipients and Web visitors and correlate their model of mobile device with their favorite underwear styles, so as to find ways to sell them more heavy metal tickets, for example. (It may sound absurd, but it's not.)

<rant>My favorite idiot spammers are those who offer me their SEO services. Wake up, dumbo, I am an SEO! Go optimize your own ***. </rant>

On the other hand, I admit that in a few extremely rare cases spam can be extremely good. Here is how you can easily spam me with great success. From Web info, figure out that I am an SEO. Do research, figure out what I read on the Web. It shouldn't be too hard to do. E.g. I have an account on SEOmoz and another SEObook and you can find my comments in this and that blog. Now make an SEO newsletter that contains information similar to and equal in quality or better than SEOmoz, SEObook, SEOhimanshu (and mind you, I am daring you to beat these resources in quality!). And once you have pulled that off, send me your bleeding-edge, best-of-the-Web newsletter without hesitation and in full confidence that I will not only not report you, but will keep the subscription and conceivably even look into those 5% of your information that are pure marketing. I'd have more willingness to tolerate extremely good, highly targeted spam with a quick 1-click unsubscribe option. It's the email carpet bombers that I can't stand.

By the way, it's incredible what kind of tracking one can do with email these days. To the point of providing forensic proof that an email has been read. Cutting-edge email analytics can tell you not only whether your email was delivered, but also what forder it landed in, when and in what city an email was opened in, how long it was open for, whether it was forwarded, whether it was deleted, whether links in it were followed.

Another factoid to cheer us all up. The word "specialist" often triggers spam filters because it contains "cialis," go figure!

Comments on this post

• JosephMartin agrees : In my previous organization i did email marketing like collecting emails from the websites and sending messages regarding SEO offers to them, then after 1 week i got my site ban i don't know why it happen like that at that time
    • renuiie agrees : i totaly agree but after giving your forum question after 1 week we can not submit our comments and post .why it is happnning.
    Last edited by PhilipSEO; Apr 8th, 2010 at 01:06 PM.
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by himanshu160
    I would like to add one thing here. It is perfectly legal to spam in United States as long as you follow the CAN SPAM ACT guidelines.
    The CAN SPAM act itself gives you the right to spam and that's why is commonly referred to as the 'You Can Spam Act'.
    what is "you can spam act"?
    what rules one should follow if he do not want be think as pam?

Comments on this post

• charansingh agrees
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

The legal kind of spam...

Originally Posted by himanshu160
    I agree with you Philip. But these days people are dealing with new type of spam which is generally not filtered by mail servers. I would call it the opt-in by default Spam. You opt for something and you also get something for free i.e. spam. This is the spam you get from your own service providers. Like you purchase a domain from GoDaddy and you start getting their spam mails. You subscribe to webpronews letters and you also get their 'sponsor updates' free of cost. One interesting thing about webpronews newsletter is that if you unsubscribe you wont get any 'sponsors update' but at the same time you won't get their newsletter either. What a great way to paste ads. Guess what. I even get spams on my cell phone and that too from my own service provider 3-4 times a day.
    It's all in the fine print part of the terms of use agreement you must accept. It sucks, and the only way out is proper legislation (which means we'd better get used to it...)

Comments on this post

• kritika19 agrees : Social Networking is taking over the internet by storm, and it’s only getting bigger. The use of social media services to garner attention and website traffic is gaining just as much popularity as the networks themselves. The great thing about
    • renuiie agrees : i agree with u but now a days spam message are big problem of users
  21. No Profile Picture

Email marketing is very much a science and I think too many people try and hit a sales home run right off the bat with the first email they send. It is such a turn off as a reader, I am expecting great information and you're telling me to buy now.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Great post and well worth your 500th too!

I'll be re-reading this and going through points with our email design team.

Cheers,
    Joe
  25. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Originally Posted by martinmchan
    Email marketing is very much a science and I think too many people try and hit a sales home run right off the bat with the first email they send. It is such a turn off as a reader, I am expecting great information and you're telling me to buy now.
    You are right but many of the people are doing misuse of it and do a lot of spam from the email marketing.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by seocatalysts
    You are right but many of the people are doing misuse of it and do a lot of spam from the email marketing.
    Agreed. The best type of marketing email is the "teaser" - the kind of mail that tells you a problem you probably have, then explains how the author of the e-book or training video that the mail is about has discovered the secrets of solving your problem.

Comments on this post

• SUMIT21 agrees : THANKS FOR SHARING NICE INFORMATION.......
    • ramohanseo agrees
    • allenathomas agrees
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by sushilsilicon
    In On-Page and Off-Page Search Engine Optimization Techniques the following terms are involved

In On -Page Includes:

1. Meta Tag Optimization.

2. Sidebar Link Optimization

3. Alt and H1,H2 Tag Optimization

4. W3C Validation Optimization

5. Duplicate Content Optimization

6. Keyword Research and Analysis

In Off-Page Includes:

1. Social Bookmarking

2. Directory Submission

3. Search Engine Submission

4. RSS Feed Submission

5. Forum Posting & Commenting

6. Blog Posting and Commenting

7. Press Release Submission

8. One-way Link Building

9. Social Networking Submission

10. Podcast Posting

11. Atom Posting

12. Classified Ads Posting

13. Video Posting

14. Article Submission
    Keyword research is not exclusive to on-page optimization, because you'll need the keywords during your link building. Also, you forgot URL restructuring in on-page, sitemap submission in off-page.

Comments on this post

• lenaosterhagen agrees
    • John325 agrees : Great post phil. Really, these are the best ways for doing email marketing. Nowadays email marketing is one of the best process for throught which we can attract more and more visitors and targeted sales for our business.
    • josephjohn230 agrees : nice post
    • oneeb agrees : Best Social Exchange Network http://www.likesfollow.com
    • aprilandy agrees : I'm amazed on how deligent you've been just to share this marvelous idea. Thanks as I had a good read. Something I haven't realized for such a long time.
    • MMS Systems agrees : Email marketing is still a very effective and cost efficient method of online marketing, but to be successful certain procedures and protocols must be adhered to.
    • medmainfomatix agrees : First of all cograts for your 500th post :) I will be reading this post and will further follow and discuss with my team. Thanks for sharing this piece of information.
    • miradisplays agrees : Nice post, Thanks for sharing
    • uly2088 agrees : awesome post.
    • iqbal51 agrees
    • rohit03_catalys agrees : I agree with this post
    • warnerilink : Now a days email marketing is not taken as backlinks
    • bhavikpatel08 agrees
    • mamun010 agrees : Beneficial post for SEO, I appreciate this post.
    • sand ford agrees : A great post dude i was finding about backlinks and reached to your post and i really happy to see this.
    • jasminseo agrees
    • aamiits agrees : Nice Post
    • businesspages9 agrees : nice post.. but one question in my mind that really Email marketing is useful for getting more traffic on the business website.?
    • jonathantrott46 agrees
    • manojkumar211 agrees : Nice Post
    • dailyees agrees
    • alexbrown8 agrees : This post sums up all that is needed to do about SEO.
    • allentrendin agrees : Email marketing is where you can send the mail to the registered customer.
    • pressma agrees : Yes email marketing is really helpful for online sales
    • allenathomas agrees
    • scottalexander agrees
    • iovista agrees
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: