Thread: .edu queries

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

.edu queries

ok so i'm trying to find some relevant edu sites that will link to me, but i'm having some trouble narrowing down my search. here is my problem.

i need to find faculty pages that are hosted on the school servers. some of these professors have resource pages that are relevant to our market and would be a benefit to the both of us. faculty pages all have a "~", then the teachers name in the URL. i tried using the [keyword site:edu] operator and found some good sites, but i'm trying to figure out a way to add the "~" criteria to my query. is this even possible. so basically i need to use the "inurl" somehow in combination with the "site", but when i do that it seems like google doesn't understand.

any ideas?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I just looked at a bunch of different edu sites and most of them had a list of faculty and all of them had a contact form or email link. Some even had each departments webpages listed with contact info there.
    Keyword Meta Questions Answered
    HTAccess Redirects

Adversity is a spice when added to life makes the dish more interesting.

A magic marker is a SEO's "Easy Button".
  5. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    We have done many e-mail campaigns into .edu sites. Make darn sure that your content truly is something that would be of high value to them. If not... they can raise havoc by reporting your communications as spam e-mail.

Bottomline: Make sure that you give them an obvious reason to link to your page. The reason has to be evident and compelling, i.e. that it (the link) is to their benefit more than it is to yours.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

We have done many e-mail campaigns into .edu sites. Make darn sure that your content truly is something that would be of high value to them. If not... they can raise havoc by reporting your communications as spam e-mail.

Bottomline: Make sure that you give them an obvious reason to link to your page. The reason has to be evident and compelling, i.e. that it (the link) is to their benefit more than it is to yours.
    luckily we work in an industry that not only has a department dedicated to our niche, but we also sell products to universities. i understand what you mean about the spam situation though.