1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Dynamic Meta Data + Page Title

Hi everyone,

Im recently took a new job on an old web site and I have the nice task for completely restructuring the sites core engines. Anyway, long story short I'm considering pulling the page title, meta keywords, and the meta description from the database based on the current page. What Im wondering is will this hurt our SEO score or page rank? I'm new to the SEO game Im just a simple programmer...lol...so please if anyone can help me, thanks in advance.

TR
  3. SEO Gawdess
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Title and tags shouldn't repeat. If they can be unique to page pulled, great. How does search engine even know it's dynamic? They just see the finished put together page code.
  5. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by tommyready
    Hi everyone,

Im recently took a new job on an old web site and I have the nice task for completely restructuring the sites core engines. Anyway, long story short I'm considering pulling the page title, meta keywords, and the meta description from the database based on the current page. What Im wondering is will this hurt our SEO score or page rank? I'm new to the SEO game Im just a simple programmer...lol...so please if anyone can help me, thanks in advance.

TR
    Puilling the Meta Description and Meta Keyword from the database will not have any negative effects.

The Title Element <title></title> is a different matter

That should remain and whatever the page Title is the Title Element can be that as well (so programmatically you can have the Title routed to two different places.

Without Meta Description be mindful that the search engines will pull the first occurance (normally) of the keyword as a snippet for its listing description [Keyword Phrase +/- 5-6 words] so if a nav button is named "as keyword" it can provide an undesirable snippet...

you can curb this by:
    1. avoiding top of page menus (keyword related)
    2. use right nav menu (close to scroll is a good thing for usability]
    3. Snippet a keyword rich phrase ahead of any nav links
    4. Code your body text divs as the first thing after <body> and then position them correctly in CSS
    5. use keyword anchor at page bottom nav bar
    6. use Javascript menus on top half of your website and text links on bottom half.

<tip>Sarcasm from here on out:

Any of these (or in combination) will do what many experts say "can't be done"... because their way "doesn't hurt"...

(that's advising you to DON"T REMOVE THAT META DESCRIPTION BECAUSE IT'LL IMPROVE CTR"</tip>
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by fathom
    Puilling the Meta Description and Meta Keyword from the database will not have any negative effects.

That should remain and whatever the page Title is the Title Element can be that as well (so programmatically you can have the Title routed to two different places.

Without Meta Description be mindful that the search engines will pull the first occurance (normally) of the keyword as a snippet for its listing description [Keyword Phrase +/- 5-6 words] so if a nav button is named "as keyword" it can provide an undesirable snippet...

you can curb this by:
    4. Code your body text divs as the first thing after <body> and then position them correctly in CSS
    6. use Javascript menus on top half of your website and text links on bottom half.

Any of these (or in combination) will do what many experts say "can't be done"... because their way "doesn't hurt"...

(that's advising you to DON"T REMOVE THAT META DESCRIPTION BECAUSE IT'LL IMPROVE CTR"</tip>

Do you have anymore tips or best practices for doing this? What else should I avoid doing?
  9. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by tommyready
    Do you have anymore tips or best practices for doing this? What else should I avoid doing?
    ...boy... open ended SEO questions... I could write a 7,800+ posts to cover that topic...

Unfortunately tommyready, I can't possible answer that - it's way too vague... it's like:

What else are you thinking on doing?
  11. No Profile Picture

you can curb this by:

Hello everyone. I am in a similar situation - starting a new job and just getting into SEO.

The site I am working on has one ASPX page that is passed a few variables in the Query String and the page is populated based on those variables. All in all, there are about 60 variations of the page that are displayed and I would like to do dynamic meta keywords.

I hadn't thought about it until I read this thread, but dynamic titles would also be nice. Fathom, I'm confused by what you're saying about the title tags... are you saying that it's not a good idea to generate the title tags on the fly? I don't understand why that would be any different than the meta tags...
  13. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by firebird210
    I hadn't thought about it until I read this thread, but dynamic titles would also be nice. Fathom, I'm confused by what you're saying about the title tags... are you saying that it's not a good idea to generate the title tags on the fly? I don't understand why that would be any different than the meta tags...
    First we need to clear up some 'slang'... a TITLE TAG is <META Name="Title" Content="this is a title tag and it is absolutely worthless" />

... I'll assume you didn't mean that...

A TITLE ELEMENT <title>Is the single most poweful on-page variable to optimization</title>

Generating Title Elements on the fly is a SEO necessity for a dynamic website... and you should attempt to define these using actual content of the page from the database [normally with consideration to most appropriate keyword phrases] ...having a generic title is extrmely limiting.

My original comments are based on the continuing debate of Meta Description's usefulness...

The value of META TAGs in general is extremely limiting[/B] - that isn't an opinion that's a fact -- they don't do anything for ranks [meaningful ranks], and all claims to their usefulness are extremely exaggerated.

It's worth noting that "THEY DON'T HURT -- having comment tags, background colors, tracking code don't hurt either... they just don't help anything remotely SEO related.

So while you can use them (they won't harm your rankings) anyone claiming you need to waste a second considering them isn't up-to-date in their field...

Admiitedly, many people claim it improves CTR (including Google if you accept their words as gospel) ... but no one seems willing to show any data to support these claims... and that is extremely puzzling...

I spent months going back and forth 'wth' and 'without' Meta attemtping to see a parallel increase/decrease after each change was index.. and the only proof I got was that there are lots of highs and lows -- daily peaks, evening lows, week day highs, weekend slumps, paydays, pension, welfare, holiday, seasonal and associated news fluctuations... but no definitive increases for superb wordsmithing Metas vs. major drops in clicks when using not so perfectly worded snippets.
  15. No Profile Picture

First we need to clear up some 'slang'... a TITLE TAG is <META Name="Title" Content="this is a title tag and it is absolutely worthless" />

... I'll assume you didn't mean that...

A TITLE ELEMENT <title>Is the single most poweful on-page variable to optimization</title>

Generating Title Elements on the fly is a SEO necessity for a dynamic website... and you should attempt to define these using actual content of the page from the database [normally with consideration to most appropriate keyword phrases] ...having a generic title is extrmely limiting.

My original comments are based on the continuing debate of Meta Description's usefulness...

The value of META TAGs in general is extremely limiting[/B] - that isn't an opinion that's a fact -- they don't do anything for ranks [meaningful ranks], and all claims to their usefulness are extremely exaggerated.

It's worth noting that "THEY DON'T HURT -- having comment tags, background colors, tracking code don't hurt either... they just don't help anything remotely SEO related.

So while you can use them (they won't harm your rankings) anyone claiming you need to waste a second considering them isn't up-to-date in their field...

Admiitedly, many people claim it improves CTR (including Google if you accept their words as gospel) ... but no one seems willing to show any data to support these claims... and that is extremely puzzling...

I spent months going back and forth 'wth' and 'without' Meta attemtping to see a parallel increase/decrease after each change was index.. and the only proof I got was that there are lots of highs and lows -- daily peaks, evening lows, week day highs, weekend slumps, paydays, pension, welfare, holiday, seasonal and associated news fluctuations... but no definitive increases for superb wordsmithing Metas vs. major drops in clicks when using not so perfectly worded snippets.
    Thanks for clarifying what you had said. Yes, I thought you were referring to <title></title> tags.

I agree that it is a well-known fact about the meta tags' little (if any) benefit, but for some reason when management hears how [relatively] simple they are to implement, they think that it's an easy solution to a tough problem. So without arguing, I will be implementing them. I'm getting paid and I love my job!
  17. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by firebird210
    but for some reason when management hears how [relatively] simple they are to implement, they think that it's an easy solution to a tough problem. So without arguing, I will be implementing them. I'm getting paid and I love my job!

AND THAT... is a perfectly acceptable reason for using... hype based activities are a fact of life... just like growing up - there was always one guy that punched your lights out if he didn't get your lunch money... but the reason for needing your lunch money wasn't because he was poor and starving.