Thread: Dwell Time

1. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Dwell Time

To do proper SEO one must study the data being gathered in their analytics. One metric that is often overlooked is Dwell Time. Here’s an article from Bing (from 2011) explaining how they use Dwell Time as a ranking signal.

Here’s what Bing has to say:
    The time between when a user clicks on our search result and when they come back from your website tells a potential story. A minute or two is good as it can easily indicate the visitor consumed your content. Less than a couple of seconds can be viewed as a poor result. And while that’s not the only factor we review when helping to determine quality, it’s a signal we watch.

Here's a very well written and well thought out article
    Here's another one

Do you think Dwell Time is still a ranking factor? Bing Does, as do many SEO professionals.
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Jun 19th, 2017 at 09:47 AM.
  3. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Interesting. I had only thought of it in terms of a bounce. I wonder how complicated it actually is in ranking, how many different intervals are used.
  5. Digital Marketing

I think it is very complicated and looks closely at what the search was looking for and what the surfer did after the click. How-to is the easiest example; a surfer searching how to bake a cake, goes to a website and comes right back to the search engine and performs the same search again tells the search engine that they served a low quality website.
  7. Professional SEO

I totally get the bounce. I just wonder if it is so advanced that have the ranking factor divided into several time periods. Like, 2 minutes, 4 minutes, on the site, etc.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

KernalPanic I agree with 99 % of your post. but ......

Originally Posted by KernalPanic
    goes to a website and comes right back to the search engine and performs the same search again tells the search engine that they served a low quality website
    I think it's a signal that Google served up a "low quality result", which may be a "low quality site".

I have done searches for testing and it's surprising how often I get a "High Qaulity Site" but Google got it wrong because the site didn't provide the answer I was seeking !

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
  11. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    I have done searches for testing and it's surprising how often I get a "High Qaulity Site" but Google got it wrong because the site didn't provide the answer I was seeking !
    This part of the algorithm is so complex that I believe you will make very few discoveries observing random results pages.
  13. No Profile Picture

Oh I agree with you ... and the complexity is ridiculous, but folks would be gaming the engine if not.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Does anyone know how / if this factors into something like G instant answers?
    Obviously in such a case there is (or very unlikely to be) a click through, so how does that affect something like dwell time?

Comments on this post

• Ann Smarty agrees : Good question!
  17. My views are my own ;)

I think Google does consider some elements of the signal. It may be not as straightforward as I described in the article you linked to (thanks!) but you could see some traces of it throughout Google's history. For example, when they were working on the authorship project, they would use dwell time to show more articles by the author when you spent enough time on the author's article and then clicked back to search results.

That was a signal to Google that you wanted to see more by the author... It's definitely dwell time in working and since we saw it clearly work, we must assume they use it in other parts of their algorithm too!

Comments on this post

• DirectHits agrees : Good points!
    • KernelPanic agrees : Brilliant!
    Last edited by Ann Smarty; Jun 21st, 2017 at 08:35 PM.
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi KP,
    You seem to have a propensity for quoting very old references and misinterpreting others to support your position...

In the other post about "dwell time" you referenced a bunch of articles to support your "dwell time" discussion.

Seems I should post the same response here...

What is your definition of "dwell time"? Here are quotes from the first four articles you list in your Google search above:

Definitions of "dwell time":

From your 1st ref:
    "dwell time is the actual length of time that a visitor spends on a page before returning to the SERPs"

From your 2nd ref:
    "Dwell time” is the amount of time that elapses between you clicking a search result and returning back to the SERPs."

From your 3rd Ref:
    "Dwell time is a metric that calculates user engagement, session duration, and SERP CTRs"

From your 4th Ref:
    "The dwell time is also referred to as the average time on site and shows the average time a user spends on a website."

You reference four different articles each talking about something different! They can't even agree on what "dwell time" is.

Now convince us that everyone believes in "dwell time".

Which "dwell time" do you believe in or do you have another definition to propose?

What about its measurement?

From your 2nd ref:
    "It’s also worth noting that while “time on page” and “bounce rate” are easily accessible metrics in Google Analytics...

You won’t find any such metric for “dwell time”.

If Google (or any other search engine for that matter) is actually using some kind of “dwell time” metric into their algorithm, they’re certainly not sharing this fact (or any of the data) with us.

Because of this, SEO’s can only speculate as to how Google may be calculating “dwell time” and how they may be using it in their algorithm."

From your 3rd Ref:
    "Dwell time... is a data point that is not publicly available (or thoroughly understood)..."

(Don't you ever read the articles you reference in your posts? It could save me some typing here...)

If there is no single definition of a term, you cannot claim "everyone agrees..."

We still don't even know if SEs can measure whatever your definition of "dwell time" may be.

It seems we can't see anywhere that reports it, if so what use is this discussion?

The SEO industry has enough spammers, scammers and incompetents who blather away and froth at the mouth about all manner of ridiculous nonsense. We don't need to give them more ammunition for their "Area 51" or "Psychic Clairvoyant" schools of SEO.

PS You ref. a Bing article above.

Its definition of dwell time was, "The time between when a user clicks on our search result and when they come back from your website"

That statement was made back in Aug 2011 when mobile search was in its infancy.

It seems few mobile searchers actually go back to the SERP pages these days. That would mean for Bing, there is no "dwell time" that it could calculate for these folk. Doesn't that mean "dwell time" is unlikely to be a Bing ranking signal?

PPS I believe you do Ann Smarty an injustice in citing her 3+ year old article to support your position.

Do you not understand the SE and SEO consequences of the rapid move to mobile searches?

Why do you keep citing very old pre-mobile or early-mobile search articles at us? Mobile search is now reported to be more than 50% of all searches.

Do you not understand how mobile search changes so many of the rules you are so desperately trying to justify? Don't you realise you are proposing what seems to be out-of-date SEO on the forum?
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Jun 24th, 2017 at 03:41 AM.