1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Duplicate Meta Descripitoins

So I am in the process of updating all of the meta descriptions on all of my pages on a ecomerce store. My SEO software SEO powersuites say no page should have duplicate meta tags, then has a quoete from Matt Cluff who says it's better to have no meta tag the an duplicate.

Each page I have currently has it's own meta tag, however, on product pages that have more then 1 page, it will have a duplicate tag on page 2,3,4 etc. Should I be worried about these? Or should I be focusing on other things first?

Thanks!
  3. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

It depends upon what you are trying to achieve. Last time I checked, Google didn't use the meta description for ranking - it is about user experience. I am guessing Cutts made that statement because with an empty description tag, they could scrape it from content on the page.

Comments on this post

• DeepakDubey agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

A meta description summarises the contents on your page for users and search engines. This helps both of them to have an understanding of what your website has to offer. You do not need to worry as long as your meta descriptions are serving the purpose as mentioned above.

Comments on this post

• DeepakDubey agrees : Nicely explained
  7. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Originally Posted by DirectHits
    It depends upon what you are trying to achieve. Last time I checked, Google didn't use the meta description for ranking - it is about user experience. I am guessing Cutts made that statement because with an empty description tag, they could scrape it from content on the page.
    Sorry, but I didn't agree with you. Meta Description is still important to improve business ranking on SERP.

Comments on this post

• IvanDrago : Nope.
    • DirectHits : Nope, look it up.
  9. No Profile Picture

Meta description provides information to search engines and users about the page content. You can make little variations in your Meta description for each page that will solve the issue
  11. No Profile Picture

I would suggest to write "meta descriptions" with some minor changes for better results.

If you still think it is not possible for you, then you may opt for No INDEX meta tag for product pages for which writing unique content is not possible.
  13. No Profile Picture

If your website pages do not have much content then kindly change them a little bit and add the necessary information which prompts the user to click on it.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Meta description is the summery of your content for your user and search engine. If your website don't have much information then change little bit in meta description. Meta description is also help for rank your website.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok : It does not help rank your site.
  17. No Profile Picture

Meta description is useful for all pages. But in an eCommerce website i write unique metas for all products but in when clicks on tag its showing duplicate metas tags. so there is also not any option to edit metas of that tags page. how i solve this one. can i go with same or have to set no-index that tag pages through htaccess??
  19. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

It is better to add relevant information about your products in respected pages and leave Google for showing better snippets. They will show the best descriptions according to search queries in their organic results.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  21. Professional SEO

Originally Posted by Prof.stan
    It is better to add relevant information about your products in respected pages and leave Google for showing better snippets.
    Can you explain more about this Stan? I don't personally find it to be true. For instance I have a site that dominates most of its competition, yet Google has stopped showing it's snippets. At the same time, competition sites have them, as well as star ratings in the SERPs. I have to be able to compete and those star ratings are certainly an advantage.
  23. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Hi DirectHits

Google generally will change the meta description to suit the search query. It is becoming more prevalent to leave the description blank and let Google just decide on what it will be.

Now if you can write a "great" description for the page do so, because a good description will increase the CTR.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Dec 30th, 2018 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
  25. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

See above KnowOneSpecial reply and follow

I have to be able to compete and those star ratings are certainly an advantage.
    And if you know that you are providing quality products/ services then let potential clients know about this by authorized sources. That will also help your SEOing.

• For that first, add the review schema snippet on your site to include review stars, that will increase your credibility and CTRs as well.
    • Second, either if you add fresh reviews on your website then your site will be ranked better or If you generate fresh reviews on another website, that site will rank better.

But we can't ignore negative reviews those are the hurdle for businesses. So, if your budget is allowing then you can use platforms like BirdEye, Grade.Us, and many more at https://ignitevisibility.com/top-10-...tforms-online/
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Dec 31st, 2018 at 03:56 AM.
  27. Professional SEO

Originally Posted by Prof.stan

For that first, add the review schema snippet on your site to include review stars, that will increase your credibility and CTRs as well.
    I guess I misunderstood you. I thought you suggested we leave the snippets to Google.