#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Duplicate Content Question


    We've undertaken a PR effort to try to get the word out about our site which has grown very well by word-of-mouth over the past few years, but we feel that we need to take things to the next level. We spent time researching appropriate blogs, crafting our message, and personalizing each message for the site in question. I was a bit dismayed that the vast majority of sites are not willing to write about topics of interest to their readers, but instead insist on pay-per-mention. I'd be fine with 95 rejections and 5 that I have to sell my story to, but I was not prepared that like 80 of them would demand payment to even consider covering us.

    All of that said, we might pursue some sort of "guest post" type setup with a few sites. My question here revolves around the SEO impact to us (the site being linked to) if we use the exact same content for the guest post on all of the sites. I'm assuming if the sites had all written an original post about us and linked to us, we'd get the maximum "juice", but not sure what happens if the post with the link to us on say 5 or 10 different sites is identical? Does that water things down, or does Google not really take that into consideration?

    Thanks for any feedback/advice.
    Last edited by kemmatech; Feb 26th, 2017 at 07:33 PM.
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    232
    We are talking about a concept of a press release here. Does press release can hurt your site? Yes. Businesses were using press releases for a long time by using Buzzfeed, BBC, New York Times etc with the same content.
    Why these sites don't get Google's penalty. Why does posting retweeting, sharing the same content on Facebook, Twitter doesn't get you a penalty. Finally why doe's Joe Smith blog WILL GET a penalty after using duplicate content? The answer is if a website has enough Domain Authority (or PR if you are old ) it can withstand "any" algorithmic penalty - also duplicate content penalty and it will not pass through one.

    If you want using the same article then:
    1. Use strong websites for the distribution.
    2. Do not overuse money rich keyword anchor text.
    3. As a general rule of thumb use no follow links.

    But if you are using websites that are not established then use original content.
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for your reply. I guess the press release metaphor does make sense in this regard. The websites I would potentially be distributing through would be established blogs.

    I was curious about your comment about nofollow links. My understanding was that if it's set to nofollow then I would not get the SEO benefit of the mention. My goal is to both drive traffic AND get an SEO boost from the mention. What's the thinking behind making it nofollow?
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    232
    1. One of the no follow links benefit is driving traffic to your website (referral traffic- it is a ranking factor) so that is an SEO Boost.
    2. No follow links are effective because if a page is relevant to the page you are linking to and also has high Domain Authority it can help a lot.
    Example: one link from relevant Wikipedia page (btw always no follow) can shoot a website to first page on a given keyword.

    The question is how safe you want to be when you are using the same content? As an extra level of security I would use high ratio of nofollow to dofollow, because you may not know how much "established blog" actually is.
    Here is my ultimate advice use: relevant, original content and u can, for the most part do follow your links.
  8. #5
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    315
    Rep Power
    539
    You could custom tailor the article to better fit their audiences. Guest posting isn't an easily scalable strategy because, you should be offering the site a unique piece of content, not a cut and paste job. Nofollow links don't pass pagerank. Google may look at wikipedia nofollow links as a factor but, I wouldn't assume that holds the same weight for a nofollow link on joe blo's blog.
  10. #6
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Gloucester (South West UK).
    Posts
    6,522
    Rep Power
    3457
    Originally Posted by Foreprime SEO
    Why these sites don't get Google's penalty. Why does posting retweeting, sharing the same content on Facebook, Twitter doesn't get you a penalty. Finally why doe's Joe Smith blog WILL GET a penalty after using duplicate content? The answer is if a website has enough Domain Authority (or PR if you are old ) it can withstand "any" algorithmic penalty - also duplicate content penalty and it will not pass through one.
    I'm afraid I disagree with this... These sites don't get Google's penalty because there is NO PENALTY for duplicate content.
    (Joe Smith's blog may not rank well due to his low domain authority, but he will not get a penalty for indexing duplicate content).

    Comments on this post

    • ryandiscord agrees
    • Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    232
    Originally Posted by ClickyB
    I'm afraid I disagree with this... These sites don't get Google's penalty because there is NO PENALTY for duplicate content.
    (Joe Smith's blog may not rank well due to his low domain authority, but he will not get a penalty for indexing duplicate content).
    Yes! There is "penalty" for duplicate content and it is called page de-index from Google search results.
    The question is what will happen when you point to your website de-indexed pages.
    Like I said it depends on DA of a website if it going to get a "penalty" or not.
    Last edited by Foreprime SEO; Feb 27th, 2017 at 02:03 PM.
  14. #8
  15. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,176
    Rep Power
    2033
    Originally Posted by Foreprime SEO
    Like I said it depends on DA of a website if it going to get a "penalty" or not.
    Google doesn't base any of its algorithms or decision making on DA or PA. They're Moz metrics which are designed to measure how well a page or site will rank in Google SERPs for certain queries. Google influences them, because they try to measure Google - DA/PA do not influence Google, though. It's a one-way street. It would be more accurate to claim (and I'm not sure if I agree with this or not, but it is more accurate) that "it depends on a website's authority, in Google's eyes, if it is going to get a 'penalty' or not." I know that probably sounds really nit-picky and technical, but I think it's an important distinction

    I think it's more likely that websites with more authority just have more resources, more time, and more history. If one man has $100 and another has $20, a $20 parking ticket will take everything away from the second man - but the first man will still have $80 in his pocket, and he could conceivably invest that and make the $20 back faster than someone with nothing. I think this perception creates an illusion in peoples' minds that big sites are never ever hit in the same way as smaller sites. I think they are, they just bounce back more quickly and the hits don't affect them as much.

    Originally Posted by Foreprime SEO
    Yes! There is "penalty" for duplicate content and it is called page de-index from Google search results.
    That's not a penalty, though. Manual actions are penalties. Penguin and Panda are penalties. Removing duplicate content from the SERPs, or only serving certain versions to certain people, based on location or query, is just how Google works. Check out their duplicate content guidelines: https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/66359?hl=en

    Again, this probably sounds nit-picky or overly technical. I think we are both saying the same thing, in spirit, when we say "duplicate content penalty." But it is not accurate to call it a penalty in the same way that Penguin is a penalty. IMO, anyway.

    Comments on this post

    • ClickyB agrees
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    232
    The reason why I use the language that I use is because not everyone can understand what I'm talking about. It is better to tell things in terms people will understand then use SEO slang.

    It should be called just "duplicate content" but I add "penalty" to indicate that it can hurt their site. That is precisely why this user wrote this question for us because if people would use term "penelty" a little more there would be no questions and searching for ways to go around this or trying to make it work.
  18. #10
  19. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,176
    Rep Power
    2033
    Originally Posted by Foreprime SEO
    It is better to tell things in terms people will understand then use SEO slang.
    Eh, I dunno. DA is SEO slang, isn't it? It's an industry term developed by professionals that means different things to different people. It gets tossed around so much about how important it is that people have the mistaken impression that they need to improve their DA in order to rank better - when the opposite is true. You need to rank better to improve your DA.

    I agree that it's important to explain things in a way that people understand, but I think it depends on the audience too. I find that a lot of people who come through here are budding freelancers - and if they're going to be taking on clients, I think it's important that they understand all the nuances. They can explain it however they like, and in whatever way is easier to understand. But in their heads, I think there has to be that bedrock of really technical, precise, accurate terminology and theory.

    But I get what you're saying. I think we agree. I'm just quibbling about it because I approach things in a different way. Anyway, now we're a bit off-topic. If you would like to talk more about it, we should probably start a separate thread.
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    232
    No need for a separate thread. I agree. Personally, term DA will not be used by me on this forum so freely ever again.
  22. #12
  23. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Gloucester (South West UK).
    Posts
    6,522
    Rep Power
    3457
    Originally Posted by Foreprime SEO
    Yes! There is "penalty" for duplicate content and it is called page de-index from Google search results.
    You will not be de-indexed for having duplicate content, you may be de-indexed for having insufficient original content.
    Read this for clarification on DC (watch the videos for the full details).

    Originally Posted by Foreprime SEO
    The question is what will happen when you point to your website de-indexed pages.
    I don't understand what you're saying here (sorry).
    Originally Posted by Foreprime SEO
    Like I said it depends on DA of a website if it going to get a "penalty" or not.
    I agree with Mark (above), Google don't use DA as a metric (though it is OK to mention it)
  24. #13
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,034
    Rep Power
    2271
    Foreprime SEO, I would like to suggest some things to you...

    1. Do not redefined SEO jargon... DA is a moz metric like PA. PR is a Google metric. I understand when you are saying DA you are talking about Google PR. ( hell it took me a while to figure it out ) But 99.9 % of the folks out there will construe DA to be the moz metric.. So to make things simple.. say PR when you are talking about Google Metrics and say DA and PA when you are talking about Moz metrics.

    When 99.9% of the world thinks one way, why do you want to confuse the issue by renaming this metirc with another metric. It will make you harder to understand !

    Just a friendly suggestion my friend ! So take DA out of your vocabulary when you are talking about Google PR.. Say PR ! Google still uses it ... we just are not allowed to see its current value.

    Otherwise you will get a lot of crap on this issue... What is said on this forum affects a lot of folks worldwide. We do not need to confuse them with non-standard jargon and folks redefining what DA means... DA is Domain Authority a Moz Metric, PR is a Google Metric, 99.9% percent of the world thinks this way... So who needs to change, you or the world ???
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Feb 28th, 2017 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Similar Threads

  1. Duplicate content question
    By evergreen82 in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:37 AM
  2. Duplicate content question
    By BadKitty in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jul 7th, 2007, 10:39 AM
  3. Duplicate Content Question...
    By frankc in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jan 25th, 2006, 02:57 PM
  4. Duplicate Content Question
    By TBP Levi in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Aug 19th, 2005, 02:59 AM
  5. Duplicate content question.
    By deano6410 in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 8th, 2005, 12:15 PM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo