Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Traffic is mostly from google (92%). Its quite at the moment as its early sunday morning so cant show you at the moment what its like during the busy periods which I am always shocked at.

I will be perfectly honest, I did not expect the traffic it gets and even with the majority of keywords being on page 2 because of the shear volume of keywords ranking its enough to gain a lot of traffic. Not sure what tool you have used to get 20k keywords but that is way out.

The underscores was deliberate, and in some respects that is the first test. I wanted to see if google would treat the keyword as a phrase better with the underscore instead of the conventional hython which is the word separator
    Last edited by Chedders; Jan 15th, 2017 at 02:58 AM.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  3. UK Based SEO
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Chedders

I used SEM Rush which if you put your URL into it, you will see you rank for over 20k in keywords

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 12.56.59.png

Obviously it shows a sharp spike in your traffic so i am shocked to see your findings as a quick site audit does show that there is a lot of underscores in URLs and basically poor onsite SEO which you have obviously done for testing

I appreciate the screenshots as you know this game is all about testing and there is so much crap and mis-information out there and itds refreshing to see someone trying these things.

Since reading this im going to be doing my own testing on this theory too with a test site of my own as id like to see this for more competitive keywords .

But great test and hope you guys keep posting on the progress
    "Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong."
  5. Dinosaur

Ya SEMRush can be a little behind, but even if there is a lag it does prove the backlinks have been minimal and not the driving force so its only really the long tail keywords thats driving the traffic.

Thats the keywords current that google knows about,

Along with a fairly healthy craw rate. So if all goes well and they find more keywords then the traffic should continue to rise.

One thing I have already learnt though is crawl rate is definitely linked to page speed. As I fine tuned the page speeds crawl rate increased, I did a big improvement early December and suddenly Google got very interested with a sharp increase. It has since dropped so may have to revisit the that area.

One other interesting thing that intrigued me was google appears to take random urls from sitemaps, it does not start at the first entry and work its way though them. This may explain why its rare that you see 100% of a site map indexed. Here is a current sample of what they have been doing.

I would have expected sitemap1 to be completed indexed by now but all of them are around 50% completed by google bot.
  7. UK Based SEO

Interesting stuff indeed.

Im going to try a slightly different test.

Going to copy content, make title tags, meta data unique.

Ill then do some other testing such as social signals, some black hat link building, and some other testing just to see how far i can push the boundaries buy doing a little more than just copying content.

Just see where it goes as far as im concerned Googles not as clever as many make out even with all their updates, but too many people are scared or put off by testing and showing this stuff.

I do tutorials anyway so it will go in a guide in showing people some black hat SEO stuff and what we can/cant do.

As eventually i would expect my test to get hammered as nothing will be legit on it but will be an interesting theory.

What other testing are you planning to do with this ? You doing any link building or pushing any other boundaries?

Also how many pages did you at at the one time to that site ?

Was the pages drip fed on or all banged on at the one time?
    Last edited by craigseo; Jan 15th, 2017 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Adding another question
  9. Dinosaur

Pretty much big bang from day 1, we have added to it since launch.

No plans on doing link building on this one, I am wary of doing too much at once and giving things time to settle down. Everyone is always in a rush and something I have learnt SEO takes time and patience is always key. I dont care if we have to wait 12 months before things stabilize as having solid base stats will be the key to measure against.
  11. UK Based SEO

You are right, build things slowly and have a good solid base that you can do testing on over the years.

Mines is more of a what not to do guide as my test will be doing everything you are NOT supposed to do.

But will keep a keen eye on this too.

Nice to see some useful stuff on here again
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Yes its true duplicate content is very poisonous for website so use genuine content which can enhance you website ranking.

Comments on this post

• Chedders : Rubbish
  15. Dinosaur

Yes its true duplicate content is very poisonous for website so use genuine content which can enhance you website ranking.
    Seriously ?

The whole idea of this large scale experiment was to prove or disprove what you have put. Its a long term test to see if its will last the test of time but so far all evidence points to using duplicate content is bad is a myth.

If you have evidence that this is not fact then please provide the results of your tests. I will happily review them.
  17. No Profile Picture

Hi Chedders. Thanks for posting this experiment, very interesting stuff. Would you able to post a screen of only Organic growth?
  19. Dinosaur

It's all organic growth.
    Most traffic come from Google over 95% so I assume you would class that as organic
  21. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the reply. Apologies, I thought that 'sessions' figure might include direct traffic ect. Do you know how the site is performing in Bing? I realise the experiment isn't to monitor Bing, but would be interesting to see what the pull is none the less.
  23. Dinosaur

Bing bot visits so rare its a joke to be honest.
    Its a bit like comparing a Ferrari with a Skoda. Its not that bing is not ranking the site, it is. But its just so slow in crawling so will take months or years to be where google is currently. Its not just this site I see this with, on most of the sites I work on bing is the last bot to come knocking. I have seen search bots I have never heard of beating them to crawling the site.

Its a shame as more and more people use bing as its the default search engine on windows 10 and its catania service is all powered by bing. But they really need to speed things up if their search is going to be taken seriously by users.

So I take it if it ranks on bing its a bonus but I never target Bing as its just so far out of date for most sites. You may have a different story but thats what I see here in the UK
  25. SeoRaptor

I had not taken a look at this thread in a long time and found the occasion to make a couple statements.

Title, on Zebo.co.uk titles are unique, they might not be optimized but they are unique

Meta description, This is useless for SEO it only has a slight impact because of SERP CTR been used to smoothen search results.

underscores in URL... I know most of people say this but it not totally true. Do you know why people state that you should not use underscores in URL? It's due to Matt cutts because he said that he'd rather use slashes because it is a word separator while the underscore puts words together. In the end this has very little influence on SERPs (same person said that), simply take a look at sites like wikipedia and you will see that you can easily rank with _s in URLs. The only reason _ was differentiated from - in google code is due to C programmers wanting to be able to search exact matches for programming terms.
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page: