1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

dummy websites and page rank

Hi all

firstly as i newbie to this forum i say hello and also i must apologise if this has been discussed before, i did have a look and a search but could not find anything relevant.

i have a client who has purchased around 10 websites with the intention of using them to host the same content as his main website, i have advised his that this will be penalised by google and a 301 forward on each dummy site will improve his original page's rank better.

i now have doubts about the advice i have given.

if anyone can put me straight it would be much appreciated...
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Welcome to the forum.
    Dup content is not something they want to do. If the 10 sites aren't built yet which it sounds like
    client who has purchased around 10 websites with the intention of using them to host the same content as his main website
    I'd advise him not to do it.
    building them and then redirecting them won't improve his page rank.

Comments on this post

• imi_p85 agrees : very helpful
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you Test-ok

as a web developer in very early stages or learning seo, what should i be advising him ( apart from going to a professional )
  7. SEO Since 97

Advise him to build his main site and get good links.

Comments on this post

• imi_p85 : thank you
    • jamespayne agrees : The above user meant to agree, not disagree.
    • MrCat agrees : and also to provide great content worth linking to :)
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by imi_p85
    Hi all

firstly as i newbie to this forum i say hello and also i must apologise if this has been discussed before, i did have a look and a search but could not find anything relevant.

i have a client who has purchased around 10 websites with the intention of using them to host the same content as his main website, i have advised his that this will be penalised by google and a 301 forward on each dummy site will improve his original page's rank better.

i now have doubts about the advice i have given.

if anyone can put me straight it would be much appreciated...
    Hai imi_p85,
    Test-ok saying is right. But i want to know what is the purpose of your client in creating 10 websites. Is he testing search engines or what..?
  11. Dinosaur

Originally Posted by Malli Hemanth
    Hai imi_p85,
    Test-ok saying is right. But i want to know what is the purpose of your client in creating 10 websites. Is he testing search engines or what..?
    I have seen this many times, people get domain fever when picking their domain for a website. 10 is quite low to be honest, One guy I worked with a few years ago had brought well over 100. Its pointless to be honest as most will be variants on the same theme I am sure.
    You can create doorway sites with them but these tend not to be liked by the users or by google if they are thin on content, although I have read they are making a bit of a come back but I would doubt they are much use unless you plan to spend a lot of time updating them and providing each one with unique content. You have to ask is the effort worth the gain ? in most cases I doubt it.

So what to do with this domains ? personally I would stick a 301 redirect on them all to point to your main site and forget them, once they expire I would not renew them unless they are high value domains in which case I would sell them.
    But to be honest even a 301 on them is going to gain you next to nothing as I suspect they will have no PR, no backlinks so no traffic and worthless. Maybe not even worth the effort of placing the 301 on them.
    Last edited by Chedders; Jun 8th, 2013 at 04:39 AM.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinking 101
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I really don't get it why some people would want to waste time and money to buy several domains, put up doorway mini-sites with little content for the sole purpose of gaining higher rankings. They should be better off to just focus their effort on improving the main site - proper on-page optimization and improving the actual content or adding more relevant content could do wonders - make the main site something worth linking to and ranking would come naturally.