1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Domain Name and Partial Words

Hi All,

I am a newbie here and a newbie to SEO so hello and thanks!

I am developing a directory website for students to find local teachers. It will have a directory of local teachers and will also have content through blogs and forums.

Here is my question.

Let's say I want name the site *karateteachandlearn.com* as I want folks to come to the site to both teach and learn. However, I am concerned with the SEO merits. From keyword research, folks search on 'karate teacher', not 'teach'.

If someone searches on 'karate teacher', do I get much or any SEO credit for having the text string 'teach' in the domain, although it is not an exact match and not delineated with hyphens?

Alternatively, I could use something like my-karate-teacher.com. It is not as good a fit with the site mission, but if it is that much better SEO wise, it might be close enough.

I plan to have a good site with good content and hopefully links to it, but I don't want to leave a lot on the table by not naming the site properly.

Any thoughts?

Thank you
    David
  3. No Profile Picture

Today you'll not get any additional boost in rankings if there is targeted keyword in you domain name. But there is one thing to note: if someone links to your site using domain name as an anchor text then keyword in domain name will be a bonus.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by haus18
    Hi All,

I am a newbie here and a newbie to SEO so hello and thanks!

I am developing a directory website for students to find local teachers. It will have a directory of local teachers and will also have content through blogs and forums.

Here is my question.

Let's say I want name the site *karateteachandlearn.com* as I want folks to come to the site to both teach and learn. However, I am concerned with the SEO merits. From keyword research, folks search on 'karate teacher', not 'teach'.

If someone searches on 'karate teacher', do I get much or any SEO credit for having the text string 'teach' in the domain, although it is not an exact match and not delineated with hyphens?

Alternatively, I could use something like my-karate-teacher.com. It is not as good a fit with the site mission, but if it is that much better SEO wise, it might be close enough.

I plan to have a good site with good content and hopefully links to it, but I don't want to leave a lot on the table by not naming the site properly.

Any thoughts?

Thank you
    David
    I would say it is best to use a domain name that people will remember. Although it can be a big advantage when trying to get to the top of the search engines it is only part of the picture. If you search for a lot of things you will find that a lot of the top 10 results do not have the keywords in the domain name.

Also you will get some credit for your chosen domain name if you have a well optimised site. You should focus your decision on your users, how easily they will remember your site. Also if there is a competitor with a similar domain name what are the chances of losing people if they type it in wrong.

Sorry if this is not a definitive answer but basically you should go with what is right for your business and not the search engines.
  7. No Profile Picture

One more thing: last time Matt Cutts from Google mentioned that having "-" in your domain name says Google that site may be spammy.
  9. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Pick a name that is easy to remember and that represents your business. That will make you a success with your customers. Focus on that instead of having a bigasslongandhardtoremember.com
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your answers and information thus far. It is very helpful. I look forward to hopefully contributing more to the forum in the future.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo