Thread: Domain Hosting

1. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Domain Hosting

I looked but didn't see a better place for this post. I have a question about domain hosting. Just got a substantial domain
    price increase from my regular host today. Almost $19 for a .com annual renewal. Since I have several domains, I would l
    would love to get some recommendations. What is your favorite domain host and expected pricing?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Sounds like your provider is trying to recoup losses by bumping up renewal cost. Typically this is done because a lot of domain name suppliers use . coms as loss leaders to generate business.

I generally tell my clients that $15 per year, plus taxes of course, is the normal cost of doing business. This is with Godaddy btw. When I first started using them, the cost was 9.99 and sometimes, I can still get the name at this price if I add hosting to the cost. At the end of the year I do expect the renewal cost to substantially increased, but not by 100%.

Domain names jump from 10 or 11 to 14.99, hosting jumps from 75 to 110.00, etc., etc.. Typical business rates actually, a small discount to get you as their customer, then the renewal at normal rates. It really is a pita to have to change companies after a year. So most just live with it. Also, from the point of view, it is the client who is paying this and doesn't come out of my pocket I normally don't concern myself with it.

If it is really bothersome or the company you're dealing with is really out of line in pricing.....
    You can always change the domain registrar, this is one option. The other is buy multiple year registration. This normally results in a substantial discount in renewal cost.

Out of curiosity, whom are you buying from ?
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  5. Professional SEO

Know,

I keep all of my domains separate from website hosting and have been using tierra. net because they have been so reasonably priced. Can't remember their prior name, Tierra bought out my original host a few years ago. But almost $19 before taxes is the renewal rate I just got - for a two year renewal. I agree, really isn't a big deal when you are talking a couple of dollars extra for your client, but I have close to a dozen sites of my own and it now seems like they are going to be one of the more expensive hosts. So I am considering moving hosts..
  7. No Profile Picture

Before you jump the gun, that is 10 bucks a year and that is in line with most registrars. It will be hard to beat $10 a year renewal. I thought you were talking about a single year renewal. Maybe you should consider a 5 year renewal instead.

You can also negotiate with them in some instances. I have in the past when dealing with Godaddy on hosting renewals had them honor the year price on the renewal, but I have found it just cheaper to get 3 yr hosting then renew for 5 yr when it runs out. That way, you get the discount.
  9. Professional SEO

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    Before you jump the gun, that is 10 bucks a year and that is in line with most registrars. It will be hard to beat $10 a year renewal.
    Its almost $19 a year, based on a two year renewal of almost $38 total + taxes. I have sent them an email about it.
    Last edited by DirectHits; Nov 5th, 2018 at 12:30 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DirectHits
    But almost $19 before taxes is the renewal rate I just got - for a two year renewal
    Its almost $19 a year, based on a two year renewal of almost $38 total + taxes.
    Sorry my bad, I thought you meant 19.00 for a two year renewal. Damn that is steep.

I got to ask, are we talking about dot com names or specialty names, meaning non dot coms. This will make a difference in pricing.

Try this link (this is not an affiliate link) >> > https://www.namecheap.com/domains/transfer/ they have some good pricing...

13. Professional SEO

.org, so looking at this pricing @ $14.98, it isn't that much higher. Two years ago it was $15.98 with TierraNet. But this host gives you a free whoisguard. I think its another $6 with TierraNet.
    Last edited by DirectHits; Nov 5th, 2018 at 04:06 PM.
  15. Professional SEO

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    Sorry my bad, I thought you meant 19.00 for a two year renewal. Damn that is steep.
    TierraNet just emailed me with a price reduction. Have to login to be sure, but it looks like a couple of bucks discount.