#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0

    Domain in diffrent countries


    Example.com is my main domain and am targeting this domain in UK, I want to start the same business in US, What should I do in the case of domain? I canít target the same domain (example.com) in two countries (both US &UK)as my main .com domain contains UK based content, I donít want to change these content(I donít have any .co.uk extension of my main domain also). So will purchasing a new domain be a good decision ?Some advised me to purchase .us extension of my domain.Which is more easy to optimize for US .us domains or .com domains?

    Am confused b/w example.us or newdomain.com (which is more useful for targeting us clients)
  2. #2
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    252
    Rep Power
    312
    to confuse matter more you could do the following

    uk.olddomain.com
    usa.olddomain.com
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Chedders
    to confuse matter more you could do the following

    uk.olddomain.com
    usa.olddomain.com

    or should i go for a new domain?as usa.olddomain.com is not at all user friendly
  6. #4
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    252
    Rep Power
    312
    There are quite a few reasons why the above is a good idea.
    Brand awareness
    Allows for future growth into other countries
    1 site to maintain
    Site authority is shared so SEO on the new section will be easier.

    If you prefer you can also do it with directories and not sub domains

    www.oldsite.com/uk
    www.oldsite.com/usa

    www.oldsite.com becomes a new landing page and common functions / information can be shared.

    It used to be that sub domain sites (uk.olddomain.com) where treated as a different site but if we believe matt cutts then he has said a few times that they now understand its the same site and there is no difference between a sub domain and a directory approach. I have not run any tests to see if this is true but I can say when I added blog.mysite.com to a site it got page rank pretty quick so it does look like it inherent authority from the main domain.
    If you went this route you could look at either auto detecting where the user is based from their IP and redirecting them to the best version of the site or allowing the user to select manually.

    Going the directory route also allows for multi language to be applied at some point so
    www.oldsite.com/eu/fr for a European version for French speaking users for example

    If you cant do the auto detect on the IP (it is more difficult than people think) you can display a world map or country flags and allow users to choice which they prefer and store this into a cookie so future visits takes them directly to the page for their country.

    Having a site that is multilingual and operating in different countries moves you into the big league, your site would appear like you are a large worldwide player giving users confidence that you are a serous player.

    Having 2 different domains for 2 countries looks bad in my opinion and a lot more difficult to run an effective SEO campaign


    You would need to do 301 redirects on your current pages so www.oldsite.com/page.htm points to www.oldsite.com/uk/page.htm

    Just my opinion
    Last edited by Chedders; Oct 30th, 2013 at 06:05 PM.
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Chedders
    There are quite a few reasons why the above is a good idea.
    Brand awareness
    Allows for future growth into other countries
    1 site to maintain
    Site authority is shared so SEO on the new section will be easier.

    If you prefer you can also do it with directories and not sub domains

    www.oldsite.com/uk
    www.oldsite.com/usa

    www.oldsite.com becomes a new landing page and common functions / information can be shared.

    It used to be that sub domain sites (uk.olddomain.com) where treated as a different site but if we believe matt cutts then he has said a few times that they now understand its the same site and there is no difference between a sub domain and a directory approach. I have not run any tests to see if this is true but I can say when I added blog.mysite.com to a site it got page rank pretty quick so it does look like it inherent authority from the main domain.
    If you went this route you could look at either auto detecting where the user is based from their IP and redirecting them to the best version of the site or allowing the user to select manually.

    Going the directory route also allows for multi language to be applied at some point so
    www.oldsite.com/eu/gr for a European version for French speaking users for example

    If you cant do the auto detect on the IP (it is more difficult than people think) you can display a world map or country flags and allow users to choice which they prefer and store this into a cookie so future visits takes them directly to the page for their country.

    Having a site that is multilingual and operating in different countries moves you into the big league, your site would appear like you are a large worldwide player giving users confidence that you are a serous player.

    Having 2 different domains for 2 countries looks bad in my opinion and a lot more difficult to run an effective SEO campaign


    You would need to do 301 redirects on your current pages so www.oldsite.com/page.htm points to www.oldsite.com/uk/page.htm

    Just my opinion
    Hi Chedders,

    Thank you for your answer,

    I want to clear a doubt,

    1)if I select us.olddomain.com, do the page rank of olddomain.com inherit to us.olddomain.com?

    2)Do this us.olddomain.com would be treated as subdomain of olddomain.com or it would be just like two different urls?

    3)I want to seriously promote the US version of my website in US so will it possible to optimize separately for US places independant of olddomain.com as it is targeting only UK clients?


    Could you give the answer ASAP?
  10. #6
  11. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,604
    Rep Power
    1948
    Originally Posted by Jaydenfleming
    Hi Chedders,

    Thank you for your answer,

    I want to clear a doubt,

    1)if I select us.olddomain.com, do the page rank of olddomain.com inherit to us.olddomain.com?

    2)Do this us.olddomain.com would be treated as subdomain of olddomain.com or it would be just like two different urls?

    3)I want to seriously promote the US version of my website in US so will it possible to optimize separately for US places independant of olddomain.com as it is targeting only UK clients?


    Could you give the answer ASAP?
    1.) if you 301 redirect, yes, PR will transfer WITH time.
    2.) it will be two different URL's: Does Google really treat a subdomain as a different domain?
    3.) if it was me, I would keep a .com and cross promote in the US and keep a .co.uk for the UK clients.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  12. #7
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    252
    Rep Power
    312
    Site authority is different to page rank.
    Page rank is just that for the page so if you wish to keep the page rank the old pages must be 301 redirected to the new page. It does not happen over night but google will catch up.
    Site authority though is like a reputation for the entire site, I am sure others will be able to explain it better than me. But if you are promoting either the USA version or the UK version then both will gain as they are the same site. Not gain in page rank but authority.

    An example of just this is a site I was involved a while ago (at start up) is asos.com. If you scroll to the bottom of the page you will see the tiny flags they also operate in. Click on one of them and it will take you to that countries site. In your case click the USA flag and it will take you too usa.asos.com just as in my first recommendation. I am sure if I go to the site from a USA IP address the USA version will be the default one but I am currently on a UK IP so cant confirm this.

    If you want to view the other option I gave you goto Discover Wacom | Interactive Pen Displays & Digital Drawing Tablets and click on one of their products such as www.wacom.com/gb/en/creative/intuos-pro-m at the top is a menu option Region, if you follow that you are asked to select your country/ language and for the USA you will be taken to Discover Wacom | Interactive Pen Displays & Digital Drawing Tablets as in my 2nd example

    In both these sites I agree its not very user friendly and both could be done a hell of a lot better but the principles are correct. Why waste your time promoting 2 sites when doing it within 1 with good navigation will benefit both.

    For a long term strategy I would go with the wacom example as the language option could be very useful if you decide later to expand into other countries who dont speak english and you will already have the site structure sorted.

    However we have no idea what your market place is and having a separate domain could work better for you but I would doubt it.
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    Hi thanks to all ,

    I got the answer & pick the domain olddomain.us
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0
    Hello Chedders,

    Replies given by you are great. You have suggested both kind of domains; sub domains and internal pages based on country. Thanks for the suggestion, as i was also looking for the same kind of reply.

Similar Threads

  1. How to Optimize a Single Domain With Different countries ?
    By ayushbajaj in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Sep 16th, 2013, 08:23 AM
  2. Buying domain names in lots of countries
    By Bmoller in forum SEO Help (General Chat)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 5th, 2009, 10:50 AM
  3. Domain strategy for multiple countries
    By Grego in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Apr 8th, 2009, 11:33 PM
  4. Creating diffrent domain
    By WWF in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun 15th, 2006, 04:32 AM
  5. Optimizing for multiple countries on 1 domain
    By brandall in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Mar 12th, 2005, 06:17 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo