Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Does Text Size Matter ?

Always wondered, with seo, can the actual size of your text on your web page affect google search rankings?
    Example, my text size is currently 10. If i bump up the size to 12 does that even have a slight affect on search results/ rankings by google?
    Last edited by Lexer; Apr 14th, 2018 at 08:44 AM.
  3. Moderator
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Google recommend font size 16 and above. Whether it's a ranking factor or not I don't know, I've never tested it. But, font size 10 on mobile would mean the user would struggle to read, and probably have to pinch to zoom in. Therefore, it can't be doing you any favours.
    Last edited by matt1966; Apr 14th, 2018 at 08:58 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Lexer
    Always wondered, with seo, can the actual size of your text on your web page affect google search rankings?
    Example, my text size is currently 10. If i bump up the size to 12 does that even have a slight affect on search results/ rankings by google?
    Well it doesn't matter what your font size is as long its visible to normal human eye.
  7. Moderator

Originally Posted by seo_ motionz
    Well it doesn't matter what your font size is as long its visible to normal human eye.
    Hi, have you got evidence?
  9. No Profile Picture

11. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It's doesn't affect rankings because of the text size.
  13. Moderator

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    It's doesn't affect rankings because of the text size.
    Hi Test-Ok, not challenging you to be a pain - but I won't learn if I don't challenge experienced guys. I can only learn from you if I'm wrong...

If slow page speed has a negative impact on the SERPs for example, that's obviously because it's bad for UX. Google doesn't want their users to go to sites with terrible UX... If you're having to zoom in to read the text, (which you do if at about 12px), this is terrible for user experience. I find it difficult to believe Google values a page which is so inconvenient to users that they have to zoom in to read the content, to a page which users don't have to zoom...

On Google's "Lighthouse" plugin, font-size also comes up under SEO factors... if a websites font size is below 16px, your score reduces.

Google also talks about font-size a little here: https://developers.google.com/web/to...its/font-sizes (which, you'll notice is under the "SEO" tab)

Thoughts?

Comments on this post

• Doodled agrees : Very good point
  15. No Profile Picture
    Banned

no it will not affect on your seo, just focus your quality and long written article
  17. Moderator

Originally Posted by mantraimmi
    no it will not affect on your seo, just focus your quality and long written article
    Length has little to no baring
  19. No Profile Picture

Text size will not affect the SEO and just focus on the quality and quantity of the content.
  21. Moderator

Text size will not affect the SEO and just focus on the quality and quantity of the content.

Any evidence?
  23. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

OK firstly lets clear something up regarding font size. There are different units of measure so we all need to be talking the same language really for any of the above to make sense.
    em
    ex
    ch
    rem
    px
    pt
    %

to name just a few, there are many others.

Google have long stated that what font you use on a site is of no interest to them, they are looking at the text for ranking purposes and not the styling you may use within a page.
    However
    What is written must be readable to the user, so colour (color) and font size do play a part in helping make your chosen font readable. Since mobile devices have become more important the focus on what is acceptable has changed. We all know that white text on a white background simply will get you into trouble and so would the font size, for example you could make some text 1 pixel high, making it totally unreadable by a human but perfect read by a crawler. Google when they released their mobile friendly test included that the majority of your font sizes must be a minimum of 12 pixels (px) but in many cases 14px was required to pass the test so that became the norm so that users did not need to zoom in to read..

I would not be surprised if that has now increased to 16px as resolutions of mobile devices keep increasing which why using the PX in CSS may not be your best choice.
    During this year Mobile first will take over and although I have no direct evidence for this yet I am assuming that if a page uses fonts less than 14px then it would have a negative effect overall on its mobile score which could effect its SERPS position.

Comments on this post

• matt1966 agrees
    Last edited by Chedders; Apr 17th, 2018 at 09:45 AM.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinks in 2018
  25. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Lexer
    Perhaps is the answer! If you are using 10 and everyone else is using 16 and all other factors are equal (links, etc) then, in my opinion, there is a good chance that you would be bottom of the pile.

But of course if you increased to 12 then, in this scenario, you would remain bottom of the pile so you could conclude it does not affect your rankings. Of course if you then went to 100 that doesn't mean you would go to the top of the pile as your website would be just as unusable

However this is an almost impossible concept to verify through any particular test so I wouldn't mull on it too long but just concentrate on giving your visitors an excellent UX experience to look at excellent quality content.
  27. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by matt1966
    On Google's "Lighthouse" plugin, font-size also comes up under SEO factors... if a websites font size is below 16px, your score reduces.
    It also recommends a meta description which makes me wonder how up to date it is ....
  29. No Profile Picture

If talking about ranking your page, I don't think it has any impact from search engine side. Though the text should be readable as it affects UX. Bad UX -> high bounce rates and etc. Thus, I think more important factors are contrast of the text, its' weight and placement.

However, imo it's not worth to waste time on such small impact factors. Invest your time and resources to create valuable content.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: