1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Does more indexed pages give less link juice to my current pages?

This is not a hotel site, but it makes it more easy to explain. So let's say we have a hotel site with a huge list of hotels. Today we only have one page per city, let's say that makes 1000 pages. We're now thinking of adding a few extra pages per city for other keywords like: "hotels with pool in (city)", "hotels with breakfast in (city)" and so on. Let's say we add 9 variations of pages like this.

This will take us from 1.000 to 10.000 indexed pages, which leads to the question.

What I am afraid of is that we have links to the frontpage that's worth 1000 SEO-points, these points are divided amoung our sub pages equally (I know this isn't the case, but just for understanding). We now have 1 SEO-point per page on the site. By multiplying our pages by 10, only leaves ut with 0.1 SEO-point per page.

So the question is:
    Will we rank lower on the original (and most important) pages if we add all the new pages?

Thanks in advance
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I don't think adding pages that can lower the ranking of your site but it would rather improve it, I know that search engines likes websites with a lot of information because this benefit the internet users.
  5. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by jozomannen
    This is not a hotel site, but it makes it more easy to explain. So let's say we have a hotel site with a huge list of hotels. Today we only have one page per city, let's say that makes 1000 pages. We're now thinking of adding a few extra pages per city for other keywords like: "hotels with pool in (city)", "hotels with breakfast in (city)" and so on. Let's say we add 9 variations of pages like this.

This will take us from 1.000 to 10.000 indexed pages, which leads to the question.

What I am afraid of is that we have links to the frontpage that's worth 1000 SEO-points, these points are divided amoung our sub pages equally (I know this isn't the case, but just for understanding). We now have 1 SEO-point per page on the site. By multiplying our pages by 10, only leaves ut with 0.1 SEO-point per page.

So the question is:
    Will we rank lower on the original (and most important) pages if we add all the new pages?

Thanks in advance
    Here's the thing:

Everyone claims they have unique original content for all pages of their domain. That should mean that each page acquires its own link juice. Surely, unique original content will get links directly to it instead of everyone linking to the homepage which suggests there isn't anything that interesting that needs a direct link to it.

When you don't have unique enough content that produces their own link juice... you have a need to provide incentives to your pages.

Pick the best of the breed and link to that!

If you have lots of other similar pages they need to "up their value to the domain" by getting their own links in order to become the BEST OF THE BREED!

So if we are talking about hotels... the breeds are 5 star, 4 star, 3 star, 2 star (that's 4 pages that deserve main nav links). Don't load these pages with lots of hotels - only ONE! with ONE link a shared sort for the runner ups.

If the best of the breed to two tier so top 5 cities then 5 star, 4 star, 3 star, 2 star that's 20 pages that need.

That's how you drive ranked results because no matter how hard you try you are never going to get all your pages to be top results for all queries.

So if your don't pick BEST OF THE BREED all pages are mediocre.