1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

does domain name have effect on rankings?

I'm starting up a series of adult sites and when purchasing domain names I'm going for recall value, but my question is if having keywords in your domain name effect ratings? And if so if I could have one domain for purely recall value and list a domain with a couple keywords in search engines and have it redirected to the first domain without being penalized? I know you get penalized for hidden re-directs and mirror sites, but I know some sites like barnesandnoble.com also have bn.com so what method would I go about doing that?
  3. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If you do a 301-code "permanent" redirect from the one domain to the other, then you'll be fine. No penalties.

I guess that for adult sites a "recall" url is very important. There are always lots of people reluctant to bookmark these sites, so they'd need a URL they can easily remember and type

I'm not even sure that a keyword-dense url can help your traffic. I wonder - without being involved really - how much adult traffic comes from regular search engines....
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Alright, thanks for the help. And you're certainly right, in many cases using any adult keywords is a lesson in futility, but I'm going to be offering some unique features not present on any other adult sites, so it will be geared toward the creation of a niche market.

The way I see it with an adult site, or any site for that matter, you either must offer a superior product, or have the creative vision to implement innovative new concepts to generate above average revenue. To directly compete with industry leaders is often times site suicide, unless you have a hefty sum of advertising dollars at your disposal.

To be quite honest, I'm not sure how much adult traffic comes from regular search engines, but I would imagine a great deal, even with the safe search options engines like Google and Yahoo have in place.