1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Do you still disavow?

Following the recent real time penguin update, it was implied that disavowing (although recommended) was no longer strictly necessary. One of the sites I'm working on attracts lots of spammers, who naturally get banned at some point. The question is, do you think I still need to disavow these sites or will Google just devalue their links?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If your domain is established in Google/powerful enough it will not affect you. Google just knows that strong sites have enemies and will dismiss any spammy activity - meaning will not take it to account when it comes to ranking your site (of course everything has its limits).

The main question that you have to ask yourself is your ranking are dropping or not? If yes, then go to disavow tool and block them. Other than that I would not care about them. For more info check this thread Spammy backlinks
  5. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Google has already stated that they are no longer penalizing for bad links.

Comments on this post

• cbmorales04 : They never said that. They just said they devalued spam.
  7. No Profile Picture

Yes, I am still using disavow tool of Search Console. I recommend continue using the disavow tool as needed, Penguin shouldn’t change how site owners utilize the tool.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I kinda wonder sometimes if Google just uses the disavow tool as training data for its AI. My thought on it is that it couldn't hurt but it may very likely not help anything either..
    "...using this: sages act out of constructs but they do not rely on them"
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Go ahead and disavow. Google still penalizes for bad links - I've seen it happen this year. Maybe not random spam, but start building links to free directories, a link network, buy domains and link irrelevant content to your site, and let's see what happens.

I do a monthly disavow for our site because our Franchises often hire their own SEO experts, claiming to give them the world. And then they do crappy backlinking, and I have to disavow, and tell them they wasted their money. I also have connections to other SEO experts who manage Fortune 100 companies, and when this topic has come up, they've told me they still do weekly disavows. Google has said spam is devalued, so it doesn't help your page rank, but it doesn't mean that you won't get penalized if Google thinks you're manipulating links - manual penalties still exist.

And personally, do we honestly believe Google is capable of devaluing all spam pointing to our site? Not a risk I can take for my company.

Here's a good article on the subject: https://moz.com/blog/do-we-still-nee...isavow-penguin

Comments on this post

• IvanDrago agrees