Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Do unlinked pages have pagerank?

I have a large site with 50,000+ dynamic pages. Even breaking them down into top level subpages, it is increasingly difficult to link them all (eventualy) from the homepage. I am told that it is important to have a link from the homepage in order for the subpage to have pagerank, and yet I see many large sites like imdb.com only have search boxes and no list of links to all their content.

1) How do sites like imdb have rank for their subpages if they are not directly linked from their homepage?

2) I'm assuming sites like imdb submit site maps to google; but at the pace they keep adding, do they have to constantly submit new sitemaps every day?

Thanks
    Steve
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Any page linked from any other page that Google indexes will eventually get spidered with the possible exception of no-follow (separate conversation).
    If you make PageA and I link to it from Some-other-site PageA will be seen if that other site is seen. And giving it that direct link is better in many ways/much of the time than giving it a six level deep link in a chain from your homepage.

Of course providing a site map to google is also a good idea.

Are you not already grouping those 50k pages? There is no reasonable hierarchy that you are already using somewhere?

As for IMDB scroll to the bottom of the page, click "site index", then scroll and click "Keywords", From there you should be able to get to any page through clicking a keyword, then a movie or whatever, etc.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Steve,

While it is true that putting your links on your homepage and interlinking all your pages helps, if you already got a huge database, it's best that you have a site map instead. As long as you have your sitemap, all your pages will be crawled and get indexed. You may also try to ping your pages if you want these to get indexed fast.

Also, do not be bothered about not ranking all those 50k pages, Just pick the ones that you need people/traffic to go to and promote those pages.

Also, please do not forget to check your duplicate content. Mostly if you have that large database, you may also have duplicate content issues. Check your Google webmaster tools and apply redirect if necessary.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Traffic Travis
    You may also try to ping your pages if you want these to get indexed fast.
    Elaborate.
  9. No Profile Picture

Yes steve, if the website has good content on the page and index google properly then chances are there to get good page rank for inner pages .
  11. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by realityhack
    Elaborate.
    Pinging is a way of letting the search engines know that they need to crawl and index a specific page in your website. You can use free ping tools online. There are a lot actually. I used the Ping tool in Affilorama or the Mass Pinger. Just list down all the pages you want to ping and submit them using the Ping tool. I hope that helps!
  13. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by Traffic Travis
    Pinging is a way of letting the search engines know that they need to crawl and index a specific page in your website. You can use free ping tools online. There are a lot actually. I used the Ping tool in Affilorama or the Mass Pinger. Just list down all the pages you want to ping and submit them using the Ping tool. I hope that helps!
    Why wast your time waiting for some tool to tell google to crawl your pages when you could do it via webmaster tools instantly if its important?
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  15. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by Steve5055
    I have a large site with 50,000+ dynamic pages. Even breaking them down into top level subpages, it is increasingly difficult to link them all (eventualy) from the homepage. I am told that it is important to have a link from the homepage in order for the subpage to have pagerank, and yet I see many large sites like imdb.com only have search boxes and no list of links to all their content.
    I wouldn't advice adding all those links to your home page, I would imagine they shouldn't all be linked on the home page either!

What is your site for? Is it a store or content site like IMDB? Either way, you should look at what your competitors have done to get an idea of how your sites structure should be setup. Also take a look at this thread Silo Architecture its got some great opinions from different angles as well as great advice, and well basically a great thread to read, but make sure you follow any links given and read everything because setting up your site correctly from the start can save a lot of time and pain!

1) How do sites like imdb have rank for their subpages if they are not directly linked from their homepage?
    PR is not only passed down from your home page, it can flow from other internal pages and external links too. Maybe you need to have a read about pagerank flow (have a search on here and google as I don't have any saved threads like the above) so you can better understand how it works.

2) I'm assuming sites like imdb submit site maps to google; but at the pace they keep adding, do they have to constantly submit new sitemaps every day?
    No, the bigger and better your site is the more often google will crawl it. It's still very good to use a sitemap and keep it up to date, but if google can see your site is growing on a regular basis it will continue to crawl your site more often. For example a site like IMDB might add new pages every day, therefore google will crawl it every day to make sure it has all the latest content from them, but a site which doesn't bother to add fresh content (be that blog posts, products or what ever) is unlikely to be crawled on a daily basis.

Have a read of it from googles mouth https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/34439?hl=en
  17. No Profile Picture

I think by the time a site reaches to IMDB Authority, everything it spews out is manna for Google and gets instant credibility and PR. For us mere mortals we have to work at it until we gain some credence in Google's eyes.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Big sites have lots of pages, and lots of links from all over the place. They are ranked for the same reasons other sites rank.
    If IMDB is beating your 100k page site it might be because IMDB is practically a household name and the number of links to it is astronomical, while I have never heard of you and you don't share that link base.
  21. nobody
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Google will find any pages that are sitting on your server. As long as they are not prevented by robots.txt or by your IIS\Apache, then Google will find them and eventually index them.

Ranking them is a different story though...they will need both internal links and incoming links.

Comments on this post

• realityhack : You should note. Only if they are linked from somewhere, you visit with the Google Toolbar, or they are easily guessed. Linking being the best. Otherwise they will not be discovered.
    Last edited by bkseo; Jan 24th, 2014 at 12:16 AM.
    Data Oriented SEO is a way to go in modern SEO days.
    Sefati Consulting | Analytics Clarity
  23. nobody
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Dup post. Sorry mods. Can you please delete?
  25. No Profile Picture

Hello steve....
    You have to be linked your home page to your home page,and that's a good idea because Google love those sites whose site map is good and whose pages are linked one page to another page.

Comments on this post

• realityhack agrees : This doesn't even make sense.
    • dzine : ...indeed it does not
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Crud. Aiplabro I meant that as a disagreement.

Comments on this post

• ndelia agrees : That's okay because it gave your comment a hint of delicious irony.
  29. No Profile Picture

what that mean
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: