1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Do non mobile inner pages have SEO impact?

Do non mobile inner pages have SEO impact on overall authority?

I have 1000 inner pages, and I'm converting them to Google mobile friendly. About 200 I don't really need to make mobile friendly. It's a lot of work. Does Google see these 200 and penalize the full site or other pages, because those are not mobile friendly?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks Moderator, if you can delete that last post would be great. Think its Spam.
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

To be perfectly honest I have not tested this myself so cant promise this is 100% but here are my thoughts on the subject.

Pages that are not mobile friendly wont appear as high on a mobile search, now seeing as most users now search on a mobile device it is more of a case these pages will not help you. Its not so much as they are having a negative effect overall on your domain its more that they are currently not helping as much as they could.

If you interpret that as being penalized thats your call but I would expect these pages are acting as a flat tyre on a sports car.

Google have long been banging on about mobile first and are giving far more weight to pages that are fully mobile friendly so the warnings have been around for months.

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees : There is no such penalty, same as duplicate content penalty no such thing
    Last edited by Chedders; May 11th, 2018 at 04:27 PM.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinks in 2018
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks Cheddar, Ok so nobody knows probably. My guess is they are not like a flat tire on a car. I agree that they wont perform well, but I would guess that they don't effect anything other than themselves. ie. they don't bring down the other pages that are mobile friendly. That's my guess.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Regardless of the answer to the question, if your pages aren't mobile friendly, you're losing traffic. It's as simple as that.

If you're personally opting to lose traffic due to laziness, you're getting a penalty alright - but you're giving yourself that penalty, it's not Google issuing it. But what's the difference? Losing traffic has is the same effect as most Google penalties anyway?

As for your original question, it's not something anyone can be sure on without testing, but, if a user lands on one mobile friendly page on their mobile device, opt to click on a link which looks interesting which leads to a new page... and ah... well, the user can't physically read it as it's not made for mobile users - screams poor quality to me. So, although there's no evidence, what I do know is that it can't do doing you good, but negatively affecting your site? Questionable.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Matt: 1000 inner pages. I'm updating mobile for 800. Each page takes 20 min time to update. 200 I don't use that much, so not losing traffic for those 200. But would be nice to keep them. Just curious if keeping them, but not updating them effects the ranking of the others. I guess not.. but just wanted to ask.
  13. Dinosaur

To be honest you should be using templates, style sheets, master pages depending on your system.
    All you need to do then is change that and all the pages will then be fixed, it should not be a case of manually changing every page. If you have manually coded all these pages then this would be a good chance to convert over so it will make your life easier in the future.
    One big issue is always images but there are many systems out there that will bulk compress images for web use.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah, I should Chedder, but these pages, many were created years before CSS, and still do well. Also they have unique content on each one, which Google likes. I'm converting one at a time to a bit of CSS and mobile. but tiring. And the post is about fact there are a few hundred that don't perform much now, but I don't think I need to delete them, but they will just be there, not mobile friendly...
  17. Dinosaur

I hear your pain, been there and got the t-shirt. Learnt my lesson on that one.