1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Disavow links list

I've just figured out that uploading new disavow links into the google will result with overwriting of the old file.

Is there a way to see what links were disavowed before?

thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Disavow Tool.JPG

When you click on "Disavow Links" you should have an option to download the previous list.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I've found old version in some backup, but this is good to know. thanks
  7. Professional SEO

A lot of people believe, based on statements from Google, that it is no longer necessary to disavow.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by DirectHits
    A lot of people believe, based on statements from Google, that it is no longer necessary to disavow.
    I as of late have seen some indications that hint at that very thing DirectHits. A site I have looked at, Google is being very selective about which link anchors it is letting the site rank for. It is leading me to think that Penguin now has some very sophisticated A.I. that does the job of the spam team. Maybe with some extremely high accuracy, say about 97% + range. Just speculation on my part.

When Penguin was first released, there were collateral damage websites. Some tweaks were made, then a series of refreshes to let the beast run every six months or so, where they collected data and let Penguin run on automatic, but manually in my opinion over-road it on its' mistakes. They analyzed the data, tweaked the algo over what 5 years. Seems to me that beast is very A.I. smart. They are trusting it to do what people used to do, decisions based on patterns of behavior on the net, users using Chrome. Also remember they provide us with some nice tools to use, GSC GA and Adwords Tools. Wouldn't surprise me what they use for behavioral models.

With all the disavow files that have been uploaded to Google, I wonder how many sites have been automatically added to Penguins list of no-brainers.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Whenever you upload any disavow file, make a backup for your local use. Keep it safely so that when you want to upload a new file, you have the data of the last disavow file ready with you. It can really help.
  13. Professional SEO

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    When Penguin was first released, there were collateral damage websites.
    Not that I completely trust Google, but they say that they no longer penalize for bad links. This had to happen, as it was possible to crash a competitor's site with negative SEO.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by DirectHits
    Not that I completely trust Google, but they say that they no longer penalize for bad links. This had to happen, as it was possible to crash a competitor's site with negative SEO.
    That isn't entirely true. I've seen websites penalized for black hat link building, and manual penalties still exist. This conversation with Gary Illyes is gives a good explanation.

Many SEOs and webmasters took that to mean that Penguin no longer penalizes – and it seems like they are right.
    Google’s Gary Illyes said on my public Facebook post that the new Penguin algorithm “managed to devalue spam instead of demoting.” But he also said that Google’s recommendation for using the disavow file has not changed. In other words, you should use the disavow file to help recover from Penguin issues.
    But if Google only devalues the spam and doesn’t demote the spam, then why use the disavow file?
    Illyes said in the Facebook discussion that “specifically there’s less need” to use the disavow file for Penguin. Gary also added “you can help us help you by using it.” Adding that “also, manual actions are still there, so if we see that someone is systematically trying to spam, the manual actions team might take a harsher action against the site.”
    So in short, it seems Google Penguin no longer penalizes the site or specific pages but rather ignores/devalues the spammy links and thus the rankings are adjusted. Gary said this should make webmasters “happier,” adding “and that makes me happy.”