1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Directories and Articles will not be the future of SEO

I know I知 going to be hated for this one since many of you will own directories/blogs/article based site.

However, I知 a little confused

Its seems Matts Cutts has said out right that people should report paid links
    mattcutts.com/blog/how-to-report-paid-links

"paid articles/reviews/posts should be done in a way that doesn稚 affect search engines"

Yet at the same time

"Directory listings are fine providing the purpose of the fee is for a selective review"

Does this mean the directories should be adding paid links with no-follow, how much is a reasonable price for a review?

Although google may NEVER penalize any site for submitting to directories, I feel the power of directories will become less significant over time, and am looking to the future of SEO. The reason I believe this is because the is no defined price of a review (it will change form person to person), directories aren稚 really a fair way of making a site rank high on serp results (a large company can pay thousands of people to submit sites, and write articles)

Although writhing articles, and submitting to directories still remain an important part of SEO... will these remain an important part of SEO... surely not forever.

Significant links for relevant sites and Anchor text I feel will remain important for awhile, but directories link out to so many various non related topics

Content will remain important...

What about things like the number of revisits from the same ip address.... surely this is a nonbiased method of ranking (but still fake able). This may or may not be the case for the future of SEO, but one thing I feel is certain.

Directories and articles will not remain the future of SEO for to long... better to spend time on link baiting with good content, then wasting time on artificial back links
  3. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Mr Tuition
    surely not forever.....
    These three words wrap up SEO and any SEO technique....
    Live the moment
  5. Contributing User

Originally Posted by gazzahk
    These three words wrap up SEO and any SEO technique....
    Agreed completely, SEO shifts and shifts again....

Just when you think you have it all figured, it all changes

Its the job of any good SEO'er to try and figure out what these future shifts will be. One thing I feel strongly with, is that it wont be directories/blogs/article submissions/forum links and any other sort of submissions. These anchor links from these type of sites link out to many other types of sites too.

I知 predicting one of the possible future methods of SEO will be having multiple sites (possibly on multiple hosts) and its something that will work now. But like all SEO techniques will take time, effort, and a bit of cash for multiple hosting.

This then becomes something less hard to fake.But easily detected by age of sites. Age of sites then becomes a much stronger factor The way around this buy up old relevant sites

Having said that, obviously these sites should have no duplicate content. SEO will keep shift... it痴 the job of a good SEO optimisation expert to try and predict what these shift will be. Having said that, I知 no expert, but am a willing student, and have my ears open to all the other possibilities of the future of SEO

(Matt Cutts, although I'm an avid follower, will only give you hints of what痴 happening now, he wont allow you to know what they are working on for the future)
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

SEO for sites

How many sites do you think you can have on one host before Google de-values your sites?
  9. No Profile Picture

I personally will not worry about paid links. As it is hard to tell if a link is paid or not.
    There are too many variations a human mind can make up of. And sometimes I think Matt is just saying Google will know it all. Obviously it is not true. With millions of websites online nowadays can they really review one by one (with a real human)?
    think about it.
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

...remains an important part of SEO
    Actually that's where you're wrong. Had you written this in 2004 then I would've thought you were a leading contributor about the future of SEO. You are merely reiterating old news since article submissions are mostly useless.

Directories and articles are not current therefore they have no play in the future since today is yesterdays future and yesterday both were obsolete. Make sense?!?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I tend to agree with the sentiment that directory submissions if we're talking about the run-of-the-mill low quality directories or those with paid submissions.

As for articles, it continues to amaze me just how well articles rank in many of the queries I do. Often, the article pages rank higher than the article writer's site. From a backlink quality standpoint, it seems like the most valuable articles are those that contain backlinks in the text body and not just the resource box.