1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Did I win the lottery or do I need to be careful?

My company recently acquired a competing company. With it, we also acquired their domain. They have over 6000 backlinks and ~800 referring domains.

I would like to redirect the entire domain to a product page on our site. This product page will be relevant for much of the non branded anchor text seeing that it was a competing product.

Did I hit the link juice jackpot? Is time of the essence? Is there anything I should be careful about?

Iíve read a lot of resources saying donít buy link rich expired domains and redirect them to your site, but I think this is different, 1. Because we acquired the site and the domain never expired. 2. The links will be coming from related sources. Let me know if my logic is on point or flawed. Iíd love to make the most of this situation.

Thanks!
  3. Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

It's not about the volume of the links or referring domains. It's about the quality, or how toxic the links are. You could get a huge boost, but you could also screw your original domain up badly.

- Why did they sell up?
    - How is/was their site performing on Google?

Reality is; you've bought the business. Redirecting the domain isn't breaking any of Google's guidelines, you're doing it for legitimate reasons, not trying to manipulate the SERPs. But, you need to be very, very careful. I'd go through (literally), every single link you can find; filter out any crap with a disavow... keep the domains separate for maybe six months... if their site is still performing well in the SERPs after filtering out the crap then redirect their site to yours, with a 301 redirect of course.

Comments on this post

• Doodled agrees
    Last edited by matt1966; Apr 11th, 2018 at 09:15 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Let me just add to Matt's post....

Originally Posted by Mpond2
    I would like to redirect the entire domain to a product page on our site. This product page will be relevant for much of the non branded anchor text seeing that it was a competing product.
    Do not just blindly redirect the whole site to your one product page. Send some to your home page, some to your product page. Maybe send some to other internal pages of your site. Spread the juice around your site.