Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Did Google "Fred" get me?

Hey everyone -

Trying to understand if I got penalized by Google "Fred." I am not a SEO. Just a website owner.
    No manual actions in Webmaster tools.

However, my organic traffic has plummeted by 80% from Feb 7 - Mar 13 (versus the previous 6
    weeks). Bing has fallen 56% and yahoo 50% over the same time frames.

You can see in the file below:

anxietysupportnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/traffic-stats.pdf

That happened on February 7th, which I believe is the release date of "Fred."

2 things I'm thinking:

1) I recently 301 redirected many pages from my old domain. They usually ended with .PHP. I
    now have Wordpress installed. So they're redirected to something like
    anxietysupportnetwork.com/page-name/

2) Several years back, I had a friend build some links to my anxietysupportnetwork.com
    I started looking at the sites, and found they were completely unrelated to anxiety, and many
    times outright spammy sites. Not good, of course. And even worse now.

However, I went to Webmaster tools to check out my links, and I only found just a small handful
    to spammy/crappy websites. However, after thinking about it, my link profile really isn't that
    great based on what I see in GWT:

anxietysupportnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/untitled.png

So the question is, what do I do?

1) Disavow the 2-3 crappy links in that profile/eliminate the other worthless ones I can.
    2) Not worry about it and just keep producing and promoting quality content.
    3) Scrap the domain and start with a new one? But this domain is from 2008. And I was getting
    6000 visits per month at one point.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to judge all this info. So, looking for some outside opinions.

Appreciate yours,

Dan
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Heya!

Fred is still not well understood, is my impression. But it's definitely worth following the chatter if you can separate the static from the real data gathering and testing. I'm not an expert so I'll just share what news and impressions I've gained so far with you.

First, I can't follow your first link to a pdf. I get a page not found error. However, I see that you mention February 7th. That actually wasn't Fred - at the time it was thought to be a new Phantom quality update: https://www.webmasterworld.com/google/4836985.htm

Fred happened on March 8th.

There is some debate today, in some circles around the Internet, that all the Phantom updates have been the same thing as Fred - Fred was just bigger and more noticeable to the active, online community of SEOs. There is a theory that none of these are really "updates" at all in the traditional sense - not like Penguin and Panda. Google says that they make "changes and tweaks to our algorithm everyday," and some folks think that the Phantoms and Fred are just bigger (but normal) tweaks.

More on that here: https://www.webmasterworld.com/google/4839163.htm

The latest news is that Fred seems to have primarily impacted a certain type of site: "The sites all seem content driven, either blog formats or other content like sites and they all are pretty heavy on their ad placement. In fact, if I dare say, it looks like many (not all but many) of them were created with the sole purpose of generating AdSense or other ad income without necessarily benefiting the user...The sites that got hit also saw 50% or higher drops in Google organic traffic overnight..."

That's a quote from here: https://www.seroundtable.com/google-...lue-23538.html As far as I can tell, that's the most up to date news source right now.

If you have crappy links and you're sure that they're no good to you, you can always disavow them. Careful not to disavow anything that is actually helping you - you may need help separating out bad links.

What do you think the redirects had to do with it? I haven't heard anything about redirects being a cause for this most recent shake-up. But I'm not an expert in that area - others may have more thoughts.

Sorry - it's all up in the air right now and things are still pretty fresh. Google's channels have been mum about it except to say that it's just the typical update they do on the regular.
  5. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

That Feb. 7th update shook things up. From what I can tell, it 'seems' that Google made a big jump in correcting some of the bad linkbuilding practices over the last several years.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DirectHits
    That Feb. 7th update shook things up. From what I can tell, it 'seems' that Google made a big jump in correcting some of the bad linkbuilding practices over the last several years.
    So what would I do to recover then? That's mostly what I'm trying to figure.
  9. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Download Google's SEO Starter Guide and follow white hat SEO techniques from now on.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

1) I recently 301 redirected many pages from my old domain. They usually ended with .PHP. I
    now have Wordpress installed. So they're redirected to something like
    anxietysupportnetwork.com/page-name/
    How did you redirect your old page? Have you used redirection plugin?
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Foreprime SEO
    How did you redirect your old page? Have you used redirection plugin?
    No, I used Bluehost's tool, which automatically updates .htaccess
  15. No Profile Picture

Okay. So you wouldn't spend time with Disavow or scrap the domain completel? I'm pretty knowledgeable of white-hat SEO today. But not as much back then when I made the mistake. It looks like Google hasn't even indexed those bad links against me.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

so basically you mass redirected old pages to one URL...?
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm not sure if the new updates have affected me or not. But I have lost some videos and social properties I had ranking under my website for my main keyword. While the website ranking was pretty much unaffected (dropped a spot), some of the videos and profiles definitely were. Neither the videos or social properties had any ads on them though.
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Foreprime SEO
    so basically you mass redirected old pages to one URL...?
    No. This is the general template of what a URL now looks like: anxietysupportnetwork.com/page-name/

It's a WordPress install. All URLs are redirected uniquely from their old location to the new.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm just going to copy what I wrote 30 min ago on this thread Traffic way down - Google Rankings are Solid

Traffic is partially Google's.

There are social profiles what about them? Check social analytics.

Maby you have lost some links that were driving referral traffic in past.

What can you tell me about your website traffic that is coming from search Queries/ Google search? Separate them in your analysis from referral traffic (links)

How is your business doing? Do you have the same amount of branded searches (business name, close to URL name) in Google or is it lower?
    Last edited by Foreprime SEO; Mar 14th, 2017 at 12:03 PM.
  25. No Profile Picture

My responses below:

There are social profiles what about them? Check social analytics.

My social media traffic is weak. I left this website by the wayside for years. It has been around
    since 2008. I think my last post was 2011. I'm reviving it now that I understand more about
    internet marketing.

Maby you have lost some links that were driving referral traffic in past.

That's part of the problem I think. But only a small part. I see a couple blogs sent me a wad of
    traffic in the past, but not so much anymore.

The other link issue I see is that the inconsistency in working on the site (which is now a full-time
    pursuit), is I'll bet you I have acquired 0 links since 2011 or so. That could hurt me, yes?

What can you tell me about your website traffic that is coming from search Queries/ Google search? Separate them in your analysis from referral traffic (links)4

I've been calling that "organic" traffic. Sorry. That's where the big hit has really happened.
    From December of 2016 to January of 2017, I averaged around 125 "sessions" daily.

From 02/23/17 - 03/11/17, that felt to about 7-8 daily. I see now that has come back to 49
    on 03/13, 57 on 03/14, and 19 so far today. So, that's somewhat of a comeback.

Not sure why.

How is your business doing? Do you have the same amount of branded searches (business name, close to URL name) in Google or is it lower?

Not sure how to check for this one. Can you clarify? I'll bet it's the same as 2011(ish).
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Not sure how to check for this one. Can you clarify? I'll bet it's the same as 2011(ish).
    When your business in well known to people they more often will use branded searches: Example if your website is johnwhitelandscaping .com then they will use searches like "john landscaping" or john white landscaping" to find you or directly through your URL.

From 02/23/17 - 03/11/17, that felt to about 7-8 daily. I see now that has come back to 49
    on 03/13, 57 on 03/14, and 19 so far today. So, that's somewhat of a comeback.
    In these kind of situations, I usually wait for rankings to bounce back. It may take up to 1 month to tell if it's going to stay like this for good.
  29. No Profile Picture

Generating revenue by affiliate links and the other through Adsense revenue, you can quite clearly see differences in the quality
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: