1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Design Concern CMYK

Trying to create my advert. We are having several full colour leaflets produced. Does someone know exactly what CMYK means because it can make the hues look different?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Completely the wrong forum to ask this question but I'm a nice guy so I'll answer it anyways. My day job is in photography and video; I retouch images for major magazines.

CMYK stands for cyan, magenta, yellow, and black. These are the four primary inks in printing. This is different than how your monitor displays color, as a mix of red, green, and blue light: RGB. Some colors on your monitor (RGB) will not look the same in CMYK because you're looking at a color on paper or that color is impossible to mix. Besides CMYK, you can also get specialty colors like metallic ink (this doesn't exist in RGB) as a "spot color".

If you are worried about the accuracy of color reproduction, ask your printer to give you a proof (sample) or hire a print designer to prep your file.

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

CMYK stands for Cyan Magenta Yellow Black which happens to make the primary mode of printing colours.