1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Deletion of URL's

Hi All,

I'm not sure how to go about sorting out this problem that I'm facing kindly help me out please

I got a website done to provide technical assistance like anti-virus, software cleaning and so on with close to 8 products listed on it. I also had web designing services on that site, however I could not provide the services that I had mentioned due to business issues. I'd like to use the same website to provide SEO services, Digital Marketing Services and Web Development services.

Now I want to delete 8 url's on my site because I no longer offer those services and also would like to change content on existing pages.

My question will this affect my site on SEO grounds, will google have a problem with this.

I'm not in a position to spend money now to get a new site developed. I want to know what are your suggestion on this please.

This is my site - fultumglobal.com

Thanks in advance

Daniel
    Last edited by Ann Smarty; May 9th, 2017 at 11:39 AM.
  3. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

My question will this affect my site on SEO grounds, will google have a problem with this.
    What you are going to do seems like a natural lifecycle of any website: We all have to delete and edit existing pages at some point for different reasons. Google will not have problems with that

A different question is, whether those pages you are about to delete have some incoming backlinks and traffic. If it's the case, you may want to somehow save that traffic by redirecting to related services or editing the page to list different options instead of deleting
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Ann

Thanks for your response...

the site has not been optimised to generate traffic in the past. Only that the site has been indexed and Links being juiced otherwise there is no traffic at all.

We have not promoted, so I just thought I should ask experts that if I can go ahead and remove the old products page and insert my new services.

Many Thanks

Daniel
  7. Contributing User

Three options really, rather than just deleting them.

1. Redirect those pages to any related services
    2. Set up a custom 404 page for them
    3. Keep them but add an announcement above the fold that you don't offer the service anymore

Always think it's a bit heavy handed to just delete something.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Ivan

The problem with redirection is that we are introducing completely different products from what we actually introduced a year ago so redirection will actually frustrate the viewer.

For example you wanted to by an electronic razor and you clicked on the link but that redirects you to web designing services.

As far as telling people this service is no longer available I have 1 main url under which 19 sub url's and none of them are optimised.

the entire traffic for the year was just around 100 organic views out of which 50% I believe would be us.

What happen's in this case if I just go ahead and delete those pages?
  11. Contributing User

If you're totally sure those pages haven't been adding any value or attracting any visitors to your site then deleting them shouldn't make a difference.

I'd still recommend setting up a custom 404 page though.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Very sure that the above pages don't add any value at all.

But I'm wondering once we delete pages will the link slowly diminish or fade away once we start optimising the site after adding newer pages and products
  15. Contributing User

Google will automatically remove them from the index over time if the pages return a 404.