1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Decline in traffic and duplicate content in different domains

Hi,

6 months ago my customer purchased their US supplier and moved the supplier's website to their e-commerce platform. When moving to the new platform they copied the descriptions of the products from their site to the supplier's site so now both sites have the same content in the product pages. Since then they have experienced decrease in traffic in about 80%.

They didn't implement canonical tag or hreflang.

My customer's domain format is https://www.xxx.biz and the supplier's domain is https://www.zzz.com

The last one is targeting the US and when someone from outside of the US wants to purchase a product they get a message that they need to move to the first website, the www.xxx.biz*-*This website is for sale!*-*Xxx Resources and Information..

Both sites are in English.

The old site version of www.zzz.com, before the **** to the new platform, contained different product descriptions, and BTW, the old website version is still live and indexed under a subdomain of www.zzz.com.

My question is what's the best thing to do in this case so that the rankings will be back to higher positions and they'll get back their traffic.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Hikin Mike; Jun 16th, 2017 at 02:48 AM. Reason: remove links
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by talyaull
    When moving to the new platform they copied the descriptions of the products from their site to the supplier's site so now both sites have the same content in the product pages. Since then they have experienced decrease in traffic in about 80%.

Part of your problem is the duplicated content. How Google treats it is to fold the SERPS so that only one site will show for a search query. So it will appear to you that Google has given your site a penalty. The fact is that Google will credit the older site with being the original, but not always, but one of the sites will not show for the search term. Also Google may even see-saw the sites in the SERPS. Showing one site one day and then showing the other site the next day.

Remove the duplicated content. Implement canonical and hreflang tags. Another recommendation would be to set up sub-directories for the different languages that your site is targeting..

Example: Lets say you are targeting English and German languages....

xxx.biz/en/ xxx.biz/de/

Then use redirects to move the visitor to the xxx.biz from the zzz.com.

Edited to add...
    Sub domains do not perform as well as sub directories in passing link juice. Keep that in mind in the future.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Jun 16th, 2017 at 02:31 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Tha[MYSQL][/MYSQL]nks for your answer. Just 1 think, like I wrote, bth sites are in EN so I will add to th[MYSQL][/MYSQL]e ahreflang the region part. Do you think this will increase back the rankings and traffic for the.com site?
    Last edited by talyaull; Jun 17th, 2017 at 03:15 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Yes, using the hreflang tags in conjunction with canonical tags will eliminate the duplicated content This also means you have to understand differences in the languages as well.....or hire someone that is native to that dialect of English

in England "flat" is the same as "apartment" in America
    food from a restaurant that you take home is call "take away" in England but here we call it "to go" or "take out"

I probably confused you by using de in my example. I was trying to keep the post clean looking.

US English is en
    English in Ireland is en-ie
    English in Canada is en-ca
    English in Australia is en-au

xxx.biz/en/ xxx.biz/en-ie/ etc etc...
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by talyaull
    Hi,

6 months ago my customer purchased their US supplier and moved the supplier's website to their e-commerce platform. When moving to the new platform they copied the descriptions of the products from their site to the supplier's site so now both sites have the same content in the product pages. Since then they have experienced decrease in traffic in about 80%.

My customer's domain format is https://www.xxx.biz and the supplier's domain is https://www.zzz.com

The last one is targeting the US and when someone from outside of the US wants to purchase a product they get a message that they need to move to the first website, the www.xxx.biz*-*This website is for sale!*-*Xxx Resources and Information..

Both sites are in English.

The old site version of www.zzz.com, before the **** to the new platform, contained different product descriptions, and BTW, the old website version is still live and indexed under a subdomain of www.zzz.com.

My question is what's the best thing to do in this case so that the rankings will be back to higher positions and they'll get back their traffic.

Thanks!
    Could you not just 301 the old domain to the new one?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Talyaull,
    Not enough info here to offer you much specific advice.

Some housekeeping questions...

Can Google index all pages on both domains and sub-domains? (Eg. It is not getting fouled up by some interstitial or redirect code on zzz.com?)

What target country settings are configured in the Console/Webmaster Tools for both domains?

Are Analytics codes correctly configured for domains and sub-domains? (Eg Are the new subdomain pages on xxx.biz using the same Analytics code as the parent domain?)

Some Analytics diagnostic questions...

I'm perplexed by xxx.biz losing 80% of its traffic even though it has nearly doubled in page size.

Is there evidence of spectacular country specific traffic drops?

Acquisition Reports:
    • What is showing here? Is it essentially all generic SE referral losses?
    • Landing Pages Reports: Are there major changes in landings on specific pages?
    • How much traffic is landing on the new subdomain pages?

I'd be cross-checking the Acquisition and Landing Pages reports for the supplier's old site pre-changes.

Before and After Site Changes...

I belong to the school of SEO thought that believes site structure, design and internal linking methodologies are of major importance in generic SE referrals.

Have there been major changes in these parameters that may explain differences? (I regularly see traffic drops of 50-70% magnitude when these parameters are ignored in site overhauls.)

Would you be happy to post the site addresses in the forum? If not, would you like to send them to me in a private message (and the other two post respondents)?

PS. I'm retired from SEO, so I'm not chasing your business.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Jun 20th, 2017 at 03:45 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture

It's going to duplicate content. it's require redirect to new website otherwise use canonical tag in the website. After move to your website in new domain,it's take time for get the keyword ranking. it's make fluctuation in ranking..