1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Decided to return

Ok, it's been a while, but decided to come back for some advise. First to get up to speed. I'd been working on a site for over a year with very little success. After a year I decided to design a new site. I put the new site on a new domain. This time fully https. So the first thing I did was notify Google about the new site. I was hoping this one would do better with or without links. It's better optimised and a better site in general. After a week Google had only crawled a couple of the 48 pages and I panicked. So I got into a site that offered thousands of links hoping that with them my site would be crawled faster. Not quality links but about 17000 anyway I thought being crawled was going to be an issue. I assumed it was because of https. I set up redirects on a page level from old domain to new domain with new site and thought it was just a matter of time.

After this I noticed that my old site took a jump in rankings. It was now on top page. So I thought that finally I had done it and was on my way. The problem is that once the old site was replaced with the new one I lost rank. What I'm saying is that once the redirects were in place my old site on old domain jumped. Then when Google realised I'd changed domain they removed the old home page from search engine results and put the new sites homepage that's on a new domain in search engine results. Only now I'm way down on page 3. My question is, do you think I have damaged the new domain with the spammy links even though they don't show up in search console. Or do you think it's just a matter of time before my new site gets the ranking the old site had. At the moment traffic is down and I was counting on it.

I'd heard that there would be no loss from 301 redirect to new site. But the old site on old domain clearly scored higher before the migration.

Does anyone have any experience of changing domains anecdotes at the same time, I know Google said to wait a couple of months to see the full migration through, but when I lose rankings I panic.
    All your carpet needs try www.quality-carpets.com or if you have any questions www.carpet-questions.com
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

When I was at an agency we had a client come to use because they had lost all their ranking from 1st to nothing over night due to some spammy link that had be build by their old agency and someone doing negative SEO. We started by getting them and new domain and redirecting the old one to the new one, and all of a sudden their ranking return to number one. The domain value from you old one should pass over, but it could take a little time. In terms of the spammy links remove them ASAP (in my opinion) it better to be safe than sorry, as these could be hindering your sites performance
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

oh tom oh tom what have you done.
    Did you really go down the route of buying spammy links, I would have hoped from when you was here before you would have known that buying these links will see a short term boost and then a massive drop.
    Time to start removing them or dump the site. I bet it takes you far more effort to remove these links than it did to create them. 17,000 links mmmm sounds like 6 months worth of work to do it correctly now if you get a manual penalty else get them all into a disavow file and post it into google search console before you get one.

Comments on this post

• Doodled agrees
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Chedders
    oh tom oh tom what have you done.
    Did you really go down the route of buying spammy links, I would have hoped from when you was here before you would have known that buying these links will see a short term boost and then a massive drop.
    Time to start removing them or dump the site. I bet it takes you far more effort to remove these links than it did to create them. 17,000 links mmmm sounds like 6 months worth of work to do it correctly now if you get a manual penalty else get them all into a disavow file and post it into google search console before you get one.
    I'm not sure whether that is the issue. None of these linksveven show up in search console. It was only from a few directory site that uses automated software to gain links from sites like alexa. I think the site just spams a load of automatic listing sites. It submits a url to other urls on like a feed or something. Your meant to get a link out of it. I wanted to be indexed quicker. I'm not sure whether it's the issue.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

You really do remind me of a ball flying around a pinball machine ricocheting from one deflector to another.

When Google picks up your spammy links (ignore GWT, it only shows some links) and if Google can see a path leading back to your door a manual penalty is highly likely.

Now the question is - did your old site really jump up the rankings or did you just forget you were logged into Google and looking at a personalised search? Is this 'jump' confirmed by GWT?

But really, 17,000 links - that's not going to look unnatural to Google is it? I mean a world class search engine like Google is just going to say - "Wow, 17,000 links overnight, I just gotta index this site" isn't it?

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees : some people read read and read then eat the material
  11. Contributing User

I just have this...

13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't know. I know I panicked when my site didn't get indexed, but it's been a month and I have noticed anything. My new site on the new domain ranks a little lower and my traffic is down. But no manual action or penalty. I'm guessing any negative effect I've already felt. Might have slipped under the radar on this one.
  15. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

No you have just stored up problems for the future.
    lets say google keep a spam score 0 - 10, its true you may only be hitting a 5 or something at the moment. however if now you attempt to build any links as your foundations are not solid your spam score could rocket which could evoke a manual review. You maybe be lucky and pass it but you are poking quite a large stick at the beast, it could only be a matter of time before he wakes up and starts showing you some interest and not in a good way.

You really do need to get these links into a disavow file to preempt the inevitable and address the balance between spam links and quality links.
  17. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Welcome back!! I have a problem also: I have been in online marketing for almost 20 years now but I am unable to concentrate on growing my marketing business because I accidently laid some carpet upside down! The whole job is a total disaster. I have tried pulling it up but the glue is all in the fibers of the carpet and the sub flooring is coming up with it. Further, I can't find my cat Pickles, and there is an increasingly smelly lump in the middle of the room

Please tell me the best way to fix this problem and get my carpet expertly laid and looking beautiful so I can return to doing what I know how to do best!

Comments on this post

• Chedders agrees : Lol
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Mar 14th, 2016 at 07:42 AM.