1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Are Custom Home Pages Better?

I have a couple of sites made with Wordpress where the Home page is just made up of recent posts and the excerpts of those posts.
    As far as SEO goes, is this good enough or would a custom Home page with widgets and sliders and other bells and whistles be better?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

All the widgets, bells and whistles, can help if you use them properly. Most abuse them by improper use. In doing so they don't get maximum SEO benefit from them.

One of our members here DirectHits, made the following observation in another post concerning the use of blog post on the first page.

To sum up what he said was ....( not his exact verbatim wording, but as best I can remember it )

Since the blog posts are on the home they can affect the rankings of the site by changing what the page is targeting. The keyword phrases the page ranks for may change because of the blog content. So the page ranks for the wrong keywords.

So I would not include the blog post on the home page for that reason. This is especially true if you allow links in the blog content. You are then tossing your home page rank into it and diluting your OBL juice.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Jan 2nd, 2017 at 09:57 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok, I think I understand what you are saying. But let me ask you this......... in my case, I'm not using the whole post on my page. Just an excerpt. And I admit I'm not as knowledgeable about using keywords as I should,but I do try to include the keywords (though not necessarily phrases) I want to target for in the excerpts. And, all the posts are in the same niche. Should I still change?

You did mention about widgets, bells and whistles and using them properly and improperly. Could you give a couple of examples?
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Philbeaux
    Ok, I think I understand what you are saying. But let me ask you this......... in my case, I'm not using the whole post on my page. Just an excerpt. And I admit I'm not as knowledgeable about using keywords as I should,but I do try to include the keywords (though not necessarily phrases) I want to target for in the excerpts. And, all the posts are in the same niche. Should I still change?

You did mention about widgets, bells and whistles and using them properly and improperly. Could you give a couple of examples?
    there isn't any rule "set in stone" to what should be included on a home page - just keep the users in mind. If the bells, whistles and widgets improve the overall user experience, by all means include them. However, if there is anything on there that doesn't really help a user, or if its included just because "it looks cool" it's probably safe to say it should be removed.

Comments on this post

• Philbeaux agrees
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Philbeaux
    A lot of sites use a slider on the home page. A slide show so the speak. They get lazy and just put up pictures with text as part of picture. This text the human brain can read, but search engines can't. So you need to overlay the text onto the picture if you want the text content to be used for seo purposes.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Jan 3rd, 2017 at 08:47 AM. Reason: spelling correction
  11. Contributing User

Curate the home page, to target the best keywords with useful content. It can be a paragraph of text, some pictures, a video and more.
    You can keep the blog posts but push them down - below the fold. Like a "Fresh Your Keyowrd wisdom from our Blog" section.
    Put testimonials, awards, affiliation on the homepage if you have them. Show offers / deals / freebies to get a visitor interested and interact more. Humans are greedy by nature lure them. Make them feel they are getting something good by being on your home page.
    A bung of post which keeps changing with time above the fold is plain boring and will not solve the purpose a visitor came looking for. Further it even makes things worse for a returning visitor. He saw something 3 days ago and he comes back and that information is gone. This frustration will show on your bounce rates.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Since the blog posts are on the home they can affect the rankings of the site by changing what the page is targeting. The keyword phrases the page ranks for may change because of the blog content. So the page ranks for the wrong keywords.
    This was my biggest concern last time I asked this question: latest posts on homepage . I think this could be one reason why the ranking fluctuates.
    Last edited by jandesigner01; Jan 9th, 2017 at 03:18 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture

I have gone thru your post and would like to understand the purpose of your website.
    1. Do you have news website?
    2. Do you have product/services specific website?

Case 1 - If you have news website, then it is always good to push latest news on the homepage as they will help you to stand in the market as market leader. Secondly you can create category pages with 2-3 targeted keywords and always try to put some relevant content to boost your SEO.

Case 2 - If you have product/service then your first preference to push your services and for that you have to create custom page wherein you can talk about your product and services. Blog pages in this will help you to target 2 and 3 level keywords.

Hope this helps. Happy to help you more if case your have more questions.