#61
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,081
    Rep Power
    2276
    Hi everyone. Just going to voice my two cents here...

    Hi KernalPanic

    With all due respect, that article you posted is over 5 years old. I think things have changed a bit don't you ? I do like the way you stated it, a respected SEO Practitioner.
    Originally Posted by KernalPanic
    Here's a respected SEO practitioner claiming that CTR is an important ranking factor
    CTR and Bounce Rate, how important are they, well in my opinion they are important indicators of what may be right or wrong with a site. Notice I said "indicators of what may be right or wrong with the site". That's all I mean, indicators.

    A high CTR is good, so it's easy to assume that if your CTR is high your SERP rankings would reflect that. It doesn't and anyone with 20 bucks can verify this right now. Go buy 20 bucks of traffic from planet traffic, this should get you 20k to 40k visitors and you can drip feed them over a few weeks.

    Now what will probably happen is that you will get the visitors to the site and probably most will bounce, one of the caveats of buying traffic, lol. Now track your rankings closely for 2 weeks prior to this, then buy the traffic, turn it on and then monitor your rankings again. This time you will have to monitor your rankings for a few weeks past the purchased traffic. Then you will notice that your rankings have not moved up or down !

    Now consider this, if CTR is a ranking signal, then if I buy 500k visitors to one of my sites then I should see my rankings go sky high, well they will not. Google and Bing and Yahoo are not dumb enough to let that kind of spam thur. Because if this was the case then you and I and and everyone else would be spending tons of money to sites like planet traffic and others to purchase massive amounts of visitors.

    Don't believe me, try it, then you will understand. ( seriously tho, don't go and waste your money )

    Comments on this post

    • JohnAimit agrees
  2. #62
  3. No Profile Picture
    Registered User

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    If a great post is ranking page 2, then suddenly gets a high CTR, I believe Google may decide, at one point to move the page to a higher position in the SERPs. This is what I believe and I am sticking by it!
  4. #63
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    232
    Rep Power
    500
    Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    For those of you "expert" SEOs who have learned by reading about it on the internet what do you do with conflicting arguments? Here's a respected SEO practitioner claiming that CTR is an important ranking factor
    The article is ancient history - dated Feb 2012.

    I can't find where the author claims CTR is an important ranking factor. Its third para says:

    "The official word from Google is that analytics data is not used for ranking. Whether or not you believe that is entirely up to you, and Iím not here to argue about it. Iíll only say that itís rare to hear Matt say something that emphatically. I think the arguments against using analytics directly as a ranking factor are much more practical in natureÖ"

    (Note that the Google video link above is dated 2010 - even more ancient history.)

    The author is largely hypothesizing on a combination of CTR and dwell time. The article says about these two:

    "1 + 2 = A Killer Combo
    Where these 2 metrics really shine is as a duo. CTR by itself can easily be manipulated Ė you can drive up clicks with misleading titles and META descriptions that have little relevance to your landing page. That kind of manipulation will naturally lead to low dwell time, though. If you artificially drive up CTR and then your site doesnít fulfil the promise of the snippet, people will go back to the SERPs. The combo of CTR and dwell time is much more powerful and, with just 2 metrics, removes a lot of quality issues. If you have both high CTR and high dwell time, youíre almost always going to have a quality, relevant result."

    What we have here is a respected guy theorizing about search based on a set of conditions that existed early in 2012.

    I can't find any recent articles by the author on this subject. At least not since his boss at Moz was told by Google in Mar 2016 that G. does not use CTR in ranking signals.

    Let's reflect on these changes over the last 5 years and 4 months...

    • How much that huge growth in mobile searches for phone numbers and business addresses will have decimated average dwell times? G. even launched a PR campaign (circa 2015) to promote the "micro moments" of mobile search.
    • Then we have G's move to scrape web page content for its quick snippets/answer boxes. What click-through volume is this cannibalizing?
    • This has become even more problematic now that G dropped the top ranked page in its SERPs if it is listed in the quick answer box.
    • Every site's Analytics reports I've got access to indicate that both CTR and time on site is about 25%-33% lower with mobile phones vs desktops.

    How would all these recent and constant changes impact on G results consistency if CTR or time on site were important algo factors?

    IMHO, the biggest problem is that neither CTR nor dwell time help G's algo decide what pages answer the search query. All they will do is dilute the relative importance of the individual search words' ranking signals.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Jun 1st, 2017 at 02:12 AM.
  6. #64

  7. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    1
    It is definitely an SEO metric, but more than likely one of the least impactful. You're better off focusing on On Page SEO and link building.
  8. #65
  9. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0
    CTR do have an impact on rankings,Good CTR means you have got what a visitor searched for and hence Google pushes you up in rankings

    Comments on this post

    • JohnAimit : To be taken seriously, give us a Google reference.
  10. #66
  11. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Delhi India
    Posts
    3,280
    Rep Power
    967
    Originally Posted by affan
    CTR do have an impact on rankings,Good CTR means you have got what a visitor searched for and hence Google pushes you up in rankings
    Originally Posted by digitalgreentea
    It is definitely an SEO metric, but more than likely one of the least impactful. You're better off focusing on On Page SEO and link building.
    you guys did not read knowonespecial and John reply or don't have any intend to read previous posts. Be careful you could be flamed by many
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  12. #67
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    India
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    0
    CTR should of the factors which influence ranking. As per my knowledge, Google calculates organic clicks separately and drive the CTR out of it. And its quite logical to make it as one of factors.

    Comments on this post

    • JohnAimit agrees : Stop spreading SEO myths! Who told you this?
    • Prof.stan : Why you guys did not read above post's
    • Pierre Benneton : Please provide evidence.
    • KernelPanic agrees
  14. #68
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    232
    Rep Power
    500
    PaulShipman,
    The comment above should have been "disagree".

    There is absolutely no logic to your statement.


    If you watched the video linked above where a Googler discussed this in Mar 2016 with a number of SEOs you can hear him say:

    • It is an inconsistent signal.
    • It does NOT help G understand words
    • It is too easily spammed
    • Google cannot read it

    Why should anyone think you have special knowledge?

    Give us some facts or stop spreading SEO nonsense!

    Comments on this post

    • KernelPanic agrees : It's nonsense because you don't agree with it?
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Jun 9th, 2017 at 03:02 AM.
  16. #69
  17. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,224
    Rep Power
    4835
    Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    PaulShipman,
    The comment above should have been "disagree".

    There is absolutely no logic to your statement.


    If you watched the video linked above where a Googler discussed this in Mar 2016 with a number of SEOs you can hear him say:

    • It is an inconsistent signal.
    • It does NOT help G understand words
    • It is too easily spammed
    • Google cannot read it

    Why should anyone think you have special knowledge?

    Give us some facts or stop spreading SEO nonsense!
    Here's the results of tests from Search Engine Land where they conclude CTR is a ranking factor
    Yes, The Click-Through Rate Is A Ranking Signal, But...

    You're wrong, CTR is indeed an element of SEO that you should consider

    Here's Bing saying they use CTR as a ranking signal, I understand it's 7 years old but can you show me where they say they don't use it?
    Bing Uses Click Through Rate In Ranking Algorithm
  18. #70
  19. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    France, Saint-Etienne
    Posts
    972
    Rep Power
    1657
    Regarding Google, the conclusion from the article you linked seems to go the same way as Rand Fishkin.

    We can’t say if this kind of “offset” is stable or degrades over time, but at least we can affirm that an interesting title and meta description influence the click-through ratio, and therefore, it’s an indirect way to influence the “visible ranking.”
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  20. #71
  21. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Delhi India
    Posts
    3,280
    Rep Power
    967
    KernelPanic  agrees : It's nonsense because you don't agree with it?
    KernelPanic  agrees
    Not sure why you agree on both the posts or you did it accidentally or you want to say something additional that is relevant to PaulShipman and John's posts....
  22. #72
  23. No Profile Picture
    Newbie
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0
    I am not sure but i would like to tell you my thoughts on this. If our website has good CTR then our traffic will also increased and high traffic means low Alexa ranks and low alexa rank means high rankings. Google always want to increase user experience so we need to optimize website for visitors not for google. If user is getting what he is looking for then engagement will increase and it will give positive impact.
    <removed link>
    Last edited by Hikin Mike; Jun 22nd, 2017 at 02:04 AM. Reason: removed link
  24. #73
  25. No Profile Picture

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    yes CTR is a very important factor because the higher is the CTR the higher is the ranking in google
  26. #74
  27. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    10
    Completely wrong
  28. #75
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    232
    Rep Power
    500
    Originally Posted by Trupti42
    yes CTR is a very important factor because the higher is the CTR the higher is the ranking in google
    Can proponents of CTR tell us which CTR they believe is being used in G's ranking algorithm?

    Is it:

    • the average CTR for all search engine referrals?
    • the average CTR for just Google generic searches referrals?
    • the average CTR for all unique search queries on all search engines
    • the average CTR for all unique search queries for all user locations?
    • the average CTR for all unique search queries for all user locations only on Google?
    • each word from the search queries unpacked and a separate CTR for each one calculated?
    • ...others?

    How strong is CTR as a ranking signal?
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Jun 22nd, 2017 at 11:53 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Is SSL certificate a ranking factor?
    By otuk in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Jul 29th, 2015, 12:04 AM
  2. Yahoo and msn ranking factor
    By tiwarimsmedia in forum BING/Yahoo Search Optimization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct 1st, 2012, 07:51 PM
  3. What is keywords ranking factor?????
    By manojseo52 in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug 31st, 2010, 01:55 PM
  4. What is the ranking factor in Y
    By wd21 in forum BING/Yahoo Search Optimization
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Sep 24th, 2007, 12:40 AM
  5. Ranking Factor Weights
    By CollegeGuy in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Jun 4th, 2005, 01:33 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo