Page 4 of 7 First ... 23456 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Let me put it this way! What several people run a query (with some variations), click on the link of site A, stay on site A for a minute or two, then leave by either making a purchase, or just go to another site. Will this make Google believe the customer found what they were looking for and actually improve their ranking? I am not sure how to answer the question but I believe if a good amount of searchers click on your link and stay on your site for a decent amount of time, Google will conclude that you've provided visitors with a good experience (didn't bounce back out), served serviced their purpose, thus, boost your ranking. Have I test this? No.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by roma64
    Let me put it this way! What several people run a query (with some variations), click on the link of site A, stay on site A for a minute or two, then leave by either making a purchase, or just go to another site. Will this make Google believe the customer found what they were looking for and actually improve their ranking? I am not sure how to answer the question but I believe if a good amount of searchers click on your link and stay on your site for a decent amount of time, Google will conclude that you've provided visitors with a good experience (didn't bounce back out), served serviced their purpose, thus, boost your ranking. Have I test this? No.
    To my knowledge, two factors that have always been constant for G. since its inception...

• It exists to identify individual pages that provide "best" answers to words in a search query.
    • It has ONLY EVER used ranking signals that exist on and between linked PAGES. It has always and frequently said that domain analysis has NEVER been part of its ranking signals

Time and again Googlers repeat these statements. Oh yes, they will talk vaguely and in the vernacular about trusting websites on occasion but get into specifics and it is back to individual words and pages, not domains.

If anyone can give me a Google reference to the contrary, I would be very, very pleased to have my knowledge updated on this mission critical factor.

If it is correct then...

If SEOs check their client's Analytics stats. They should find that for most sites, around 90% of SE visitors leave in less than 20 seconds.

Perhaps 1% hang around for a considerable period of time. Did someone or a phone call interupt them? Did they simply walk away and leave the page hanging? What value is a ranking signal that is so infrequent and open to such variability as this.

Using what happens after the first SERP click into the site can provide no information about the relevance of the page to the original search terms. This would be such a huge departure from the G. norm that it must have engendered a huge amount of discussion in the SEO forums at the time. Can anyone pinpoint when this occurred?

IMHO, it is a false assumption to presume that time on site = a good user experience = a boost in G rankings.

50%+ of searches are now made on mobiles. Most of these want quick answers to simple questions. If folk check their clients' mobile stats they should find that time on site for mobile phone users are maybe 30%-50% shorter than for desktop users. The numbers of pages viewed is likely around 30% less than desktop users and bounce rates much higher than desktop users.

If all these "engagement" signals were ranking signals then you would want to stop mobile users accessing your site as they would be dragging down your rankings.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; May 4th, 2017 at 05:20 AM.
  5. Contributing User

Another great post JohnAimit and I am not going to provide you with a reference contrary to your above two factors because I agree with you 100%. Google might have 200+ ranking factor but I only have a couple;

• Content - Provide great content not focused on keyword(s) but on relevant content.
    • Mobile Friendliness - Provide a mobile-friendly and mobile optimized experience to your users
    • Links - Not only from authoritative and diverse domain especially the ones related to your niche or topic
    • Avoid Interstitial - Starting in early January 2017, Google is cracking down on Interstitial or intrusive pop-ups
    • Speed - Speed is one of the signal used by Google's algo to rank website especially the 'time to first byte'

Again, great post JohnAimit!
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hello Julian

CTR is not a direct ranking factor but it can have indirect effect and even massive organic traffic won't affect your website organic positions.
  9. No Profile Picture

A big Yes to this Question CTR a ranking factor: Click-through rate (CTR) is an incredibly important concept in search engine marketing. The simplest definition is that click-through rate is the percentage of people who click on your ad after seeing your ad. (In mathematical terms: CTR = Clicks/Impressions.)
    Cheers,
    Ashok
  11. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Prove it. So me examples of where you have increased ctr and serps have improved
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  13. No Profile Picture

yes its a ranking factor
  15. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Click-through rate (CTR) is an incredibly important concept in search engine marketing
    It's an important concept indeed and a lot of companies should care a lot more about CTR, but SEM and SEO are two separate things.

yes its a ranking factor
    Could you please back up such statement with any evidence? If you can not prove it, don't say it.

Comments on this post

• JohnAimit agrees
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  17. No Profile Picture

It sure it. Google measure the value on the site on the CTR. That is why content is so important. If people leave your site within seconds, you will most likely drop down the list, and on the other hand, if people tend to stay for a long time on your site, you will most likely climb up the ladder
  19. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

It sure it. Google measure the value on the site on the CTR. That is why content is so important. If people leave your site within seconds, you will most likely drop down the list, and on the other hand, if people tend to stay for a long time on your site, you will most likely climb up the ladder
    CTR from SERP is only influenced by the data that displays on the SERP as title, description, domain and rich data.

The rest you are talking about is bounce rate and user retention - both have nothing to do with CTR from SERPs.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

For folk who think CTR, bounce-rates, time on site and pogo-sticking are ranking factors...

Watch this video very carefully at least three times.

Google Q&A+ #March 2016

From Google you have Andrey Lipattsev Search Quality Senior Strategist at Google (Ireland). Andrey has been with Google since August 2010, starting as Search Quality Associate.

Andrey says Google does NOT use these engagement metrics as ranking signals at all. At various times he gives these different problems with them:

• They are poor ranking signals because they lack consistency of interpretation
    • Google can't measure them across the web
    • They would be too easy to spam

If you believe bounce rates and time on site are ranking signals then logically you must be planning to kill the mobile version of your site.

All those pesky visitors who only want your phone number and bounce out in less than 20 seconds will be killing your web pages' rankings.

Comments on this post

• Pierre Benneton agrees
  23. No Profile Picture

Some people believe it is, others not.

By Google getting smarter, it might be able to classify the website types and realize where CTR matters and where it doesn't.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by shayandavoodi
    Some people believe it is, others not.

By Google getting smarter, it might be able to classify the website types and realize where CTR matters and where it doesn't.
    You haven't watched the Google Q & A video linked above, have you? Why don't you try that?

A Googler tells you that yours and similar opinions on these issues are completely wrong.

Google would also need to read the mind of the searcher, not just the different types of websites to understand when a CTR signal was good or bad.

Even if it could make the jump to 100% accuracy in identifying intent for different types of sites and searchers, you ignore the other problems with the signals.
  27. No Profile Picture

I was following this thread since the start wondering if some one would say anything relevant.
    Thankyou for state this john, finally.
    There is no way for Google to mesure bounce rate so time on site without a script running on the site like analytics or the browser like chrome, so how to read this metrics on other site or browser. This would drive to a partial data over the web that make no sense.
    Quality website analisis can't be user behavior related, i manage a no profit website with very high bounce rate that still drive a lot of traffic and rank first page from 10 years for many keywords and is composed by just few pages.
    Ctr, bounch and time are not ranking factors.

G.

Comments on this post

• JohnAimit agrees : It's hard to get some folk to see the technical problems
  29. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

For those of you "expert" SEOs who have learned by reading about it on the internet what do you do with conflicting arguments? Here's a respected SEO practitioner claiming that CTR is an important ranking factor
Page 4 of 7 First ... 23456 ... Last
  • Jump to page: