1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Could this potentially hurt our SEO in any way?

Hi folks.

Hope you're all doing great, just wanted to pick your brains and see what you thought of this scenario and whether or not it could potentially hurt my SEO in any way?

We own a subscription box company running on a CMS called Cratejoy (platform for subscription model businesses). Though we have issues with creating an aesthetically pleasing website, and always run into some sort of limitation when it comes to design.

Therefore, our idea is to build a website on Wordpress, and have it so when users on the site click "subscribe", they will be redirected to our current website to make payment as we still would like to use the back-end of our CMS platform website.

So the question is, would having a user redirected to our current site to make the subscription payment hurt our SEO rankings in any way shape or form?

I've been told by the support team at Cratejoy that if we were to do this, that any traffic redirected to our site from wordpress will see ".cratejoy.com" within the URL. So the url would be www.example.cratejoy.com, rather than the Example Domain they just came from.

Are there any problems you could see arising from doing this?

Would really appreciate all feedback. If you need anymore information let me know.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Trouchie; May 12th, 2017 at 11:56 AM.
  3. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I am not understanding how the domains will be set up. Are you saying you would have a new domain for the main site? And then host the old site on a subdomain of the host?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DirectHits
    I am not understanding how the domains will be set up. Are you saying you would have a new domain for the main site? And then host the old site on a subdomain of the host?
    Hi DirectHits,

My current domain on Cratejoy would be the same domain i direct to wordpress website, once the users are transfered from wordpress to cratejoy, it will be on a cratejoy a sub-domain called for example:

www.example.cratejoy.com.
  7. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Sorry that I can't understand. But you would not want your main website sitting as a subdomain of the host createjoy.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DirectHits
    Sorry that I can't understand. But you would not want your main website sitting as a subdomain of the host createjoy.
    Sorry, just very tired and have been wording it wrong.

https://help.cratejoy.com/hc/en-us/a...subscriptions-

That's a documentation on what i mean by Cratejoy, just explained properly, hope it makes sense now.

Thanks!
  11. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

For better clarity please answer these questions.
    1. What was the domain you used before creating a site on wordpress?
    2. What will be the domain when you build a site on wordpress?
    3. I understand that the URL to which the user will go is something like yourstore.cratejoy.com

As long as point 1 and point 2 have the same answer and all the landing pages (ranking pages on serps) and pages to which links exist are not changed the SEO will not be affected.

The conversion factor, however, might change. If 100 people were converting before that value might drop. That is because some of the people may not like it when you send them somewhere else for completing the purchase. There is a iota of doubt and that iota is sometimes big enough for some visitor to decide abandoning the shopping plan.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by NewDelhiSEO
    For better clarity please answer these questions.
    1. What was the domain you used before creating a site on wordpress?
    2. What will be the domain when you build a site on wordpress?
    3. I understand that the URL to which the user will go is something like yourstore.cratejoy.com

As long as point 1 and point 2 have the same answer and all the landing pages (ranking pages on serps) and pages to which links exist are not changed the SEO will not be affected.

The conversion factor, however, might change. If 100 people were converting before that value might drop. That is because some of the people may not like it when you send them somewhere else for completing the purchase. There is a iota of doubt and that iota is sometimes big enough for some visitor to decide abandoning the shopping plan.
    Hi, thank you for your reply!

To answer the question, yes point 1 and 2 will be the same domain. As for point 3 you are also correct.

I totally appreciate that iota of doubt. Though i almost feel as our website experience/design is already hindering us more than it possibly would if we were redirecting people to our website with ".cratejoy.com" at the end of it.

As for rankings, we will probably lose our current rankings (which aren't that great anyway) as we would need to change the design of our current website to try match the wordpress one as much as possible.

Though in terms of google being able to rank us in the future, is there any problem with having two sites that work together like this? Is there any reason why google may not like it, or rank us differently because of this?

Really appreciate your insight, thanks!
  15. the mango demon

No that is perfectly fine.
    Its ok to lead the customer to cratejoy for final conversion. As long as you build a good website with lots of helpful information, good landing pages and great user experience your SEO will rock (with off page job). Both the websites can co-work with that iota of doubt. But you can live with it.
    Go ahead with your plan with making a good website. But try to keep the same urls as before or 301 redirect all pages you remember to their corresponding new pages.
    It will save whatever SEO benefits the old site had.
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by NewDelhiSEO
    No that is perfectly fine.
    Its ok to lead the customer to cratejoy for final conversion. As long as you build a good website with lots of helpful information, good landing pages and great user experience your SEO will rock (with off page job). Both the websites can co-work with that iota of doubt. But you can live with it.
    Go ahead with your plan with making a good website. But try to keep the same urls as before or 301 redirect all pages you remember to their corresponding new pages.
    It will save whatever SEO benefits the old site had.
    Awesome, we will definitely look into creating a more user friendly website on wordpress in that case.

Though just before we do, i wanted to ask, along with cratejoys check-out being a place where users will be redirected to, we also have a shop on cratejoy so would want that to also be a place that people will be linked to once they click "Shop" on our wordpress website.
    Again, this wouldn't have any affect would it?

Again thank you very much for your reply!
  19. the mango demon

Well, I would suggest you have the shop on your site. The product pages are important landing pages and having them on a subdomain of another site does not help much to your SEO efforts. I suggest you build a shop on wordpress and only send people to cratejoy for purchasing it.
  21. No Profile Picture

As far as i understood,
    Diverting traffic can affect the ranking for both Point 1(Wordpress Site) and Point 2(Main Website) websites.
    Here you are trying to generate traffic for Point 1 website and divert that traffic to Point 2 website.
    What basically happens here is that Point 1 website will be your main source of traffic and hence Point 2 website will lose its organic search potential and all its rankings will go down for sure. Whereas for point 1 website will turn out to have a huge bounce rate if people wont engage within the website and instantly go to Point 2 website.