1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Could it be my shopping cart? http://www.crosshairgolf.com

Hello

Could particular shopping cart for an ecommerce website affect search engine rankings.

We have tried everything to improve our rankings and traffic and for the last year nothing, no results, no movement up or down and our traffic has remained stagnant. At least if we were to drop we would know something was wrong and we could fix it.

right now our site is not customer friendly, this is thanks to a so called seo expert. I will be fixing that and bringing it back to what it should be.

But for now, I was wondering if the cart has anything to do with my seo efforts. If you view the source code of my home page there is nothing for the first 100+lines, when I download this into my html editor it is basic nothingness about the company that designed my website. so I was wondering if that had anything to do with it.

I spoke with someone and they said they thought the cart itself was affecting our efforts. we use smartcommerce by quilldeisgns.com

my site is http://www.crosshairgolf.com

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank You

Al
    Last edited by distinctseo; May 31st, 2011 at 10:13 AM.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

It looks like your website has duplicate content issues. For instance this page can be found via two different URLs.
    http://www.crosshairgolf.com/product/acer-mantara-driver-clone-golf-club-178.cfm
    http://www.crosshairgolf.com/product/acer-mantara-driver-clone-golf-club-178.cfm?killnav=1

While the first 100 or so lines are blank, its not going to make or break your SEO. However, if your sites loading time starts to slow down this could be a culprit.

I also see you have duplicate content issues with your homepage as well. This needs to be fixed so that all homepage URLs (non www) and (/index) 301 redirect to the www version.

Finally, it looks like your site doesn't have a lot of links. Link building is everyone's 'issue' if their not rankings. Continue to build on this.

It doesn't look like your website is nearly as messed up as you may think it is. It looks like if you fix the duplicate content issues, increase the links, and work on the file name conventions (extremely long for category pages) you will see change. Also remember that your not exactly in an 'easy' niche either.

*edit* from my quick look it doesn't seem like your cart is your issue.
    Last edited by Nickfb76; May 31st, 2011 at 10:40 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter for SEO tips @NickLeRoy
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Yes it could be your shopping cart!

It is very slow to load, the home button sometimes disappears when you hover on it which does not inspire confidence and the html that is generated is full of white space.

I would say the page descriptions are pretty shaky as well.

If you want a shopping cart and SEO then I am a strong fan of x-cart. Have a look at it, especially how they explain their SEO features.
  7. UK Based SEO

Originally Posted by agmccall
    Hello

Could particular shopping cart for an ecommerce website affect search engine rankings.

We have tried everything to improve our rankings and traffic and for the last year nothing, no results, no movement up or down and our traffic has remained stagnant. At least if we were to drop we would know something was wrong and we could fix it.

right now our site is not customer friendly, this is thanks to a so called seo expert. I will be fixing that and bringing it back to what it should be.

But for now, I was wondering if the cart has anything to do with my seo efforts. If you view the source code of my home page there is nothing for the first 100+lines, when I download this into my html editor it is basic nothingness about the company that designed my website. so I was wondering if that had anything to do with it.

I spoke with someone and they said they thought the cart itself was affecting our efforts. we use smartcommerce by quilldeisgns.com

my site is http://www.crosshairgolf.com

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank You

Al
    Got to agree with the guys above, it takes ages to load, ridiculous urls, and all the other info seems to be covered by the guys above.

However i wouldnt imagine its the shopping cart , i have used that shopping cart previously and it is fairly fleible with regards SEO , you can have custom urls, and add any content, title tags and so on, and believe it or not ive worked with some eccomerce sites that dont allow custom urls etc.

Site looks ok, just needs a real SEO or someone with a decent knowledge to sort it.
    Last edited by craigseo; May 31st, 2011 at 05:36 PM.
    "Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong."
  9. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

No, it's not your cart. You suffer from a case of "not enough links". The tweaks you do to the website is only 10% of the battle.

The other 90% is getting related incoming links and making sure you have good content and unique content.

Comments on this post

• Nickfb76 agrees : Spot on!
  11. Contributing User

While the site isn't lightning fast it isn't exactly slow either. As I mentioned and DistinctSEO also mentioned the issue to 'not ranking' is the lack of links.
  13. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Your titles could use some tweaking too.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Doodled
    Yes it could be your shopping cart!

It is very slow to load, the home button sometimes disappears when you hover on it which does not inspire confidence and the html that is generated is full of white space.

I would say the page descriptions are pretty shaky as well.

If you want a shopping cart and SEO then I am a strong fan of x-cart. Have a look at it, especially how they explain their SEO features.
    Thank You for your input

we are actually looking into x-cart, but it is going to be quite costly due to the product option customization we need.

All our page descriptions were created by a so called SEO expert, you will not believe the difficulty in just adding product to the correct category as I have no idea what some of them are. When i had the site built it was extremely customer friendly. I now have to pay to have it fixed again.

If you look at the white space in a html editor like dreamweaver you will see it is ghosted content that I have no idea what purpose it serves

Thank You

Al
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Nickfb76
    It looks like your website has duplicate content issues. For instance this page can be found via two different URLs.
    http://www.crosshairgolf.com/product/acer-mantara-driver-clone-golf-club-178.cfm
    http://www.crosshairgolf.com/product/acer-mantara-driver-clone-golf-club-178.cfm?killnav=1

While the first 100 or so lines are blank, its not going to make or break your SEO. However, if your sites loading time starts to slow down this could be a culprit.

I also see you have duplicate content issues with your homepage as well. This needs to be fixed so that all homepage URLs (non www) and (/index) 301 redirect to the www version.

Finally, it looks like your site doesn't have a lot of links. Link building is everyone's 'issue' if their not rankings. Continue to build on this.

It doesn't look like your website is nearly as messed up as you may think it is. It looks like if you fix the duplicate content issues, increase the links, and work on the file name conventions (extremely long for category pages) you will see change. Also remember that your not exactly in an 'easy' niche either.

*edit* from my quick look it doesn't seem like your cart is your issue.
    Thank You for your input.

We are currently working on link building.

The file names will be fixed as soon as we have some coding issues resolved.

Thank you

Al