1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Could this have killed my site

So I have been ranking for many years fairly well for a popular scrabble based keyword. About 7 months ago my site disappeared from the main keyword. It has so fat coast me about 30,000 in lost adsense revenue.

Ugh I know its bad.

I have about 1.8 million pages indexed with Google so I know this could take a while to reindex or crawl.

I discovered a week ago that I have a hidden table which contained my main links in my header. It went something like this

Code:
    <table style="display:none">
        <tr>
            <td><a href="http://www.example.com">Home</a></td>
            <td><a href="http://www.example.com/this/">This</a></td>
            <td><a href="http://www.example.com/that">That</a></td>
        </tr>
    </table>
    The reason I had this code hidden was because I created a new menu and wanted to save the old menu just in case. Not realizing later on that this was hidden links which is a no no with Google. Yeah I know I am kicking myself now realizing I did it.

My question is do any of you see that this might have killed my rankings? Since it was on my header for every 1.8 million pages I figure it caused a dramatic drop in everything. Being only a week into the change should I expect a much longer wait to time to see rank changes?

If only @mattcutts would contact me personally
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Hidden links are not hidden when you have another link to the same location that isn't hidden.
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I would think it is, would google check to see if it's a copy of another link..I doubt it,
    How long after you did this did the site vanish?
  7. No Profile Picture

From what I remember it only took about a week after I changed the menu
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I wouldn't say the table has anything to do with it. It's very common to use css 'hidden' as a default that can then be changed to 'visible' when something is clicked (via JQuery).

When Google talks about hidden links it's more about white (or nearly white) text on a white background (or other colour combinations). i.e. - you are trying to hide the links from visitors but leave them there for search engines.
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  11. No Profile Picture

According to my understanding, it is obvious that that was a reason for the drop in ranking and what I know, it takes days to drop in ranking but it can take months to recover so be aware.
  13. No Profile Picture

I'm a flabadoodling idiot who thought I could copy paste text from another site into this post, plus have it be completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand, and expected to get away with it. Moderator GabrielG caught me, spanked me, and banned me to the netherwebs.
    Last edited by GabrielG; Sep 2nd, 2014 at 06:13 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Woah. That's hard to tell. But if you want to diagnose problems like this, it helps remind yourself of the things you've done prior to the losing the ranking. If you think that caused it, then fix the issue. The thing is that it would take a lot of time to get back to where you were. I remember before, I only updated our robots file and then our traffic dropped significantly. It took several weeks to months before we've recovered. I don't know with Google. They seem to react at every single thing you do. gr!
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Seeing as you were re-doing your menu I wonder was you also changing the site structure ? even slightly, if you did then that is more likely the issue here.
    As pointed out already display : none is perfectly valid when used with jquery / javascript etc (I do it all the time) so I doubt if that would be your issue here. It is most probably other changes you was doing at the time or have not completed.