1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is this considered keyword stuffing?

Hi there, quick question.
    If I was to have a single page site that had only pictures, and wanted to stick with the keyword "______" for example, would it be considered keyword stuffing to name a lot of my pictures that are upload _____.jpg?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Do you mean all the pictures have the same keyword? I doubt it as if you were posting pictures of say penguins you may have

penguin.jpg
    penguin_on_a_rock.jpg
    etc...

There isn't really any way around it so I doubt it would be considered as keyword stuffing. Although you are most likely going to need some content to rank.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Using the same keywords for different pictures will result in keyword stuffing. Use the keyword with slight difference as adimond suggested or use increasing numeric value with keyword, if you want to stick to same keyword.
    Example: scenery1.jpg, scenery2.jpg
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

File names offer minimal benefit as a ranking factor. Honestly, I'd focus more on the user and optimizing the alt text for the images using your keyword and its different variations. I must say, that probably will not be enough to get you to rank and you may want to reconsider the absence of text-based content on the page.
  9. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

If you have to ask, it probably is. Just focus on natural content writing without a focus on 'keywords' or 'stuffing'.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  11. No Profile Picture

keyword stuffing

Originally Posted by joshz
    If you have to ask, it probably is. Just focus on natural content writing without a focus on 'keywords' or 'stuffing'.
    generally Keyword stuffing is an unethical search engine optimization (SEO) technique, which may lead to banning a website from major search engines either temporarily or permanently. When a web page is loaded with keywords in the content of a web page it is considered to be keyword stuffing.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok : Really?
  13. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

which may lead to banning a website from major search engines either temporarily or permanently
    For keyword stuffing... where are you getting your information?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Yes offcourse! You can't use the same keyword for different pictures since this could invite the risk of keyword stuffing. It would be fair enough if you use the keywords in a different way. Hope this would work for you.
  17. No Profile Picture

I also think that overstuffing your alt text could be dangerous. I'd a set of keywords and subkeywords related to the keyword. Maybe look up want comes up on sovle.com when you type in the given keyword and use the others on other pictures in the file name and the file description. I try to switch my image descriptions up, but don't get too crazy about it.
  19. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I can see the theories behind some of the answers above, but the bottom line and best answer to this is to...

Give your images a descriptive name!

As you're running an image site and asking about using the same "keyword" in each images name I'm guessing your image site is related to a single subject?

So do as mentioned above, name your images like [keyword-description.jpg] and you should be fine and should in fact help people to find specific images from your site much easier in the search engines. For example, if I was searching for an image for a post about the latest google hummingbird update, I would search for "google hummingbird" not just hummingbird or just google.

Another example, lets say your image site is about cats... you wouldn't just name your images cat1.jpg cat2.jpg and so on, you would name them:
    cat-up-a-tree.jpg
    cute-cat-sleeping.jpg
    cat-playing-fetch.jpg (yes my cat plays fetch btw lol)
    and so on, so you can your visitors know what each image is from the file name, just the same as how google would like to know what your image is from the file name!

Comments on this post

• LindaCletus agrees
  21. No Profile Picture

Is this type of stuffing detrimental to your site? I was thinking of doing something similar on my site.