1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Confused by title tags

Guys, I am about to start up a business and have just made a website (unfiished). The question I have is this, if I use the <title>TheSugarStall.co.uk</title> for my site title, then there are no keywords, but if I have keywords, then the title appears very long at the top of the web browser, which doesn't look very good.

Example without keywords:

and with keywords:

I want it to look like the shorter one without compromising my SEO

Please help!!
  3. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Why would you want to cram ALL your keywords/keyphrases into your homepage's title?

Also: why would you want to include your website's URL at all?
    Last edited by dzine; Sep 21st, 2013 at 09:28 AM.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Get rid of the keywords in the title, it's not needed and it's only supposed to be around sixty five characters if your hoping to gain visitors from Google. Try something like <title>The Sugar Stall | Sweets | Berkshire | Hampshire | Oxfordshire</title>, just an example, don't use it . Then spew the details in the description like "The Sugar Stall provides a stunning wooden sweet cart for Weddings, Christenings and Birthdays covering Berkshire, North Hampshire and South Oxfordshire." (again another example ) but keep it at 160ish characters.

The keywords tag does not get used anymore.
    Last edited by Grizzler; Sep 21st, 2013 at 11:52 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks Grizzler. This is what I suspected.

Dzine, I had a free book posted from my ISP and it runs a step by step SEO guide and it said I should use key words and phrases in my title tags. I thought it strange myself hense the thread.

One more thing though, I have had to use an image to display certain text as it requires a font that will not be recognised by browsers, so what do I need to do about H1 H2 tags etc?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Banned

If the title tag will be in the following format, it will be benefited SEO wise,

Primary Keyword | Secondary Keyword | Brand Name

The total length should not lead 65 characters.
  11. SEO Since 97

13. No Profile Picture

Hey, the most apt way to add keywords in title tag is kwd1|kwd2| Kwd3|site.com . It should not exceed 70 characters. Donot put comas; this is the correct format for title tags.
  15. SEO Insultant

Originally Posted by novicewebmaker
    Thanks Grizzler. This is what I suspected.

Dzine, I had a free book posted from my ISP and it runs a step by step SEO guide and it said I should use key words and phrases in my title tags. I thought it strange myself hense the thread.

One more thing though, I have had to use an image to display certain text as it requires a font that will not be recognised by browsers, so what do I need to do about H1 H2 tags etc?
    Using keywords in your title elements is indeed a good idea. But using ALL your keywords at once, in only ONE title element, is not

P.S.: this is not really on-topic but there is no powerful alternative to plain text on-page. Text in images will not be recognised
  17. No Profile Picture

ok, i think it is not necessary to write your domain name in the title and you can use your main 2 keywords there. in general, title should not be more than 65 characters including space.
  19. No Profile Picture

you have to create consolidate and compact title that covers all most prominent keywords
  21. No Profile Picture
    Banned

It would be better if you focus on the main keywords in the title. Make your title meaningful, precise and within 65 characters.
  23. No Profile Picture

I suggest you only put two keywords at most in your page title. Also, make your title page look natural, meaning try to provide a good sentence out of your keywords. And yes, it is important that you know the character limit when doing page title. Like SBRTechnologies said, 65 characters for your title tag is good.
  25. No Profile Picture

Using the title tag the way you are proposing is not going to help you with your SEO goals at all. I recommend that you try to be creative and put a good title tag with a keyword even though it is suppose to be only 65 characters long. Now even though the title tag may not do wonders for getting you high ranking it allows Google to know what the page is about when it is indexing it and most importantly it allows searcher to see what your page is about and they will be more inclined to click on the link. No point in ranking high then no one for very little amount of searchers click on your link. So be creative with your titile tag try something like:

TheSugarStall – Everything for Weddings & Birthdays
  27. No Profile Picture

Try to make title tags consize... don't target all your keywords on one page.. make proper landing pages for keywords... and you can remove your URL from title.. it is of no use... make title tag like 360DC explained above..