1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Complete phrases or not?

Hi everyone!
    If I am optimizing, say, a car dealer's web site and I obviously want him to rank for the phrase "car dealer", is it necessary to use the phrase "car dealer" together or will they still show up in the search results if I put "car" & "dealer" in separate sentences? Does that make sense? In other words, is it necessary, if optimizing for a phrase, to have that phrase on the site or is just having the words that comprise the phrase on the site enough to get the site to rank for the phrase? Thanks for your opinions SEOs! Much appreciated.
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

If you don't know what a keyword phrase is perhaps you shuld tell the car dealer to hire someone else

Keyword optimization can be one word, but usually is a phrase (comprising of more than one, usually two, sometimes 3).

You put the phrase together; you consider it throughout your optimization process.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by djstreet
    If you don't know what a keyword phrase is perhaps you shuld tell the car dealer to hire someone else

Keyword optimization can be one word, but usually is a phrase (comprising of more than one, usually two, sometimes 3).

You put the phrase together; you consider it throughout your optimization process.
    I think you missed the point of the question, lol, I know what a phrase is, but I was wondering if it made a difference whether homepage text should consist of just the phrase or if I spread the words out, whether that would make a difference or not.
  7. Super Moderator

of course. if you know what a phrase is then optimize your site around it. cell balh blha blha blha blah phone is not cell phone.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by djstreet
    of course. if you know what a phrase is then optimize your site around it. cell balh blha blha blha blah phone is not cell phone.
    Ok, great! Thanks for your thoughts.

Anyone else have an opinion?
  11. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by TraderSEO
    Hi everyone!
    If I am optimizing, say, a car dealer's web site and I obviously want him to rank for the phrase "car dealer", is it necessary to use the phrase "car dealer" together or will they still show up in the search results if I put "car" & "dealer" in separate sentences? Does that make sense? In other words, is it necessary, if optimizing for a phrase, to have that phrase on the site or is just having the words that comprise the phrase on the site enough to get the site to rank for the phrase? Thanks for your opinions SEOs! Much appreciated.
    While the body content is important you do not need to have complete "phrases" to rank for a volume of different phrases.

The Page Title (<h1>Dealer: Cars, Trucks, Vans</h1>) helps alot for phrase variations working with body test, and

Title Element (<title>Car Dealer: Trucks, Vans</title>) is even more important and works in conjunction with the Page Title, and body text.

And internal link anchor names helps about a much... all together these allow to be overly diverse and if you happen to be lacking in one area and solidly #1 in another you back off (tweak) the solidly ranked phrase a bit to give more to another.
  13. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    A more direct answer: to use "car dealer" in your title and H1 is important. I would then sprinkle them as above throughout your text. But, to answer your question, if you use text like: "for a used car XXXX is the best dealer" or "the dealer you can trust your car needs from is XXXX" will also be taken as kw relevant.

Edit: "as above" means to use "car dealer" within your content as a phrase, but separating their use within a larger statement also adds to the effectiveness.
    Last edited by SEO_AM; Aug 12th, 2006 at 01:06 PM.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Well that may also work but if you have a really hard competition then I dont think that it will. Using it all together will be much better.

Akash Kumar
  17. No Profile Picture
    Cyber Gypsy
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Yup

Create a keyphrase around a core, but try and keep the original words together if you can.

If I type 'car dealer' into a keyword suggestion tool I come up with 'used car dealer', then 'used car dealer florida'. Expand out until you run out of keyphrase. Ideally you want keyphrases that break down like this.

Don't use 'used car dealer florida' if you are a car dealer in bangalore.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Mr Spank
    Create a keyphrase around a core, but try and keep the original words together if you can.

If I type 'car dealer' into a keyword suggestion tool I come up with 'used car dealer', then 'used car dealer florida'. Expand out until you run out of keyphrase. Ideally you want keyphrases that break down like this.

Don't use 'used car dealer florida' if you are a car dealer in bangalore.
    So, I'm confused still. Keep the words in a phrase together, or no? And I'm not sure I'm understading the the "keyphrases that break down" thing. Can you elaborate please?
  21. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by TraderSEO
    So, I'm confused still. Keep the words in a phrase together, or no? And I'm not sure I'm understading the the "keyphrases that break down" thing. Can you elaborate please?
    No - you do not need to have exact phrases to make ranling gains.
  23. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fathom
    No - you do not need to have exact phrases to make ranling gains.
    I disagree to an extent. If he wants to compete with a phrase he needs to have it somewhere together, will definately speed things up. H1 tags for suresies like SEOAM said.
  25. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    We are all saying the same thing: you must have the complete statement within the text used a few to several times... true. But, it also helps if the words used within the kw statement is used out of order or with one or more different words separating the individual words that are used in the complete kw statement. KW used as a complete statement is necessary, but the words in a rearranged fashion can assist and is effective. The best of all worlds is to do both. That is why you will see words within a kw statement in the SERPs highlighted in bold even if the words are disjointed.
    Last edited by SEO_AM; Aug 14th, 2006 at 01:12 AM.