1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Competitive Keyword Analysis Guideline?

Hi,

I'm trying to get more experience on how to find good keywords to bid on for Adwords based on what some of my top competitors are ranking on.

I've played around with Google Adwords "Keyword Tool", but I'm not exactly sure what keywords would be best to target in my Adwords campaign.

For example, should I be looking for keywords that have a high "global monthly searches" or "local monthly searches" and medium/low "competition"?

Is there a way I can find out what keywords my competitors are ranking best for and driving the most traffic to their website?

If you could provide me with some simple step guidelines that I can follow using any free SEO tools online, or if there are any good articles that you know about that would push me in the right direction.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

olimits7
  3. No Profile Picture

I've been doing some more research with Google Keyword Tool, and I see that the "Exact" matches for a keyword have drastically lower monthly searches.

When dealing with "Exact" match keywords, what is a good rule of thumb on picking a keyword based on monthly searches? Would a monthly search of 1,000 be the minimum to look for?

Also, when would I want to use "Exact" match or "Broad" match?

Thank you,

olimits7
  5. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

The first question is a very expansive one, to answer the second post.....

Use exact match. This gives you the amount of searches for that exact keyword, not lots of other iterations of it too. You usually want a somewhat local search rather than Global, but this depends on the nature of your business.

You also want to look at the amount of directly competing sites there are in Google. TIP 1 : Use "" quote marks around your search term in Google, this gives you the directly competing pages.

TIP 2: Don't target keywords that nobody searches for (at least 100 + local exact match searches per month)

Tip 3: Don't target keywords that are too competitive (50,000 + directly competing pages) to start with. As a very rough guide, 10K or below is relatively easy, 50K+ is medium and 100K+ is competitive. This can vary wildly depending on the search market but this is just a rough guide.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by olimits7b
    Hi,

I'm trying to get more experience on how to find good keywords to bid on for Adwords based on what some of my top competitors are ranking on.

I've played around with Google Adwords "Keyword Tool", but I'm not exactly sure what keywords would be best to target in my Adwords campaign.

For example, should I be looking for keywords that have a high "global monthly searches" or "local monthly searches" and medium/low "competition"?

Is there a way I can find out what keywords my competitors are ranking best for and driving the most traffic to their website?

If you could provide me with some simple step guidelines that I can follow using any free SEO tools online, or if there are any good articles that you know about that would push me in the right direction.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

olimits7
    Im not too familiar with adwords campaigning but I have a few suggestions for your bottom question. For one, you can use tools such as SEO quake to see the keyword density of the page your auditing. This will give you a good idea of which keywords are being targeting.

Another great way to see what words are being targeted is http://lsikeywords.com/. Try it out, its absolutely amazing!

Another way to see what keywords your competitors are targeting is to see the anchor text on backlinks. http://www.backlinkwatch.com/ .
  9. No Profile Picture

Thank you for the replies!

So does that mean if exact keywords I search have a local monthly search of 150; then there are only 150 searches a month and only 1,800 a year that are searching for this exact keyword?

This seems so little to me; is it even worth targeting these types of keywords? Will they even bring in any traffic?

But I guess even if they do search keywords like this; most people don't search using quotations; so would I still benefit from the larger broad match montly searches and not just have to rely on people doing an exact match on my keywords?

Thank you, again!

olimits7