1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Client Prefers "Bullfrog Transmissions" over "City Name Transmissions"

Ok, I need your help educating a client about SEO. I have a client who has a transmission repair shop in Victoria British Columbia. It is a fairly big city and Victoria is his market. The name of his business is "Bullfrog Transmission" and interestingly enough there is a transmission shop in town called "Victoria Transmission". So I put his site online optimzed for "Victoria Transmission ..." (shop, mechanic, repair, etc) and wala, he is right up on top for some engines like Yahoo, MSN, etc. Well here is the issue. I have strategically and properly put in keyword phrases in such elements as the title, headers, etc. He thinks he is "adverstising" his competitor's business and he wants to change it to "Bullfrog Transmissions". I told him people won't search for that phrase and as he is NOW on page one alongside his competitor, he'll be TAKING business from them (www.victrans.com) What are your thoughts?
  3. Registered User

You can still have him found on the results pages for Victoria Transmission, but with the title and text Bullfrog Transmissions or you can change the title to this:

Bullfrog Transmissions in Victoria

Which would give a nice compromise between you and the clients needs.
  5. Contributing User

One way out of the impasse might be to put Victoria in h1 and Bullfrog in h2, then use css to place h2 first in large font and h1 below in smaller font. The h1 heading will have more power with the SEs but Bullfrog will be more visible to the visitor and client.
  7. Self-managed!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Is his shop getting clients from the traffic the SEs send to his site because of ranking high for "Victoria Transmission" ?

If so, tell him that his biz name isn't a brand which anyone would search for. Also tell him that people aren't searching for the other's competitor website ( or biz ) when they search for "Victoria Transmission", because generally people search for "location keyword ( service/product )" they need.

Make him understand that if he loses online traffic, he also loses actual clients that go to his real shop because of seeing his online shop by searching SEs for "Victoria Transmission".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo