1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Angry Client doesn't get it. What to do?

Hi guys,

I have been working on a site now for a couple of months, and have got it from Page 3 to Page 1 on Google for most of his keyterms.

Trouble is, he wants to move to the top position of P1, and it just ain't gonna happen. Above him are the actual brands of the products he's selling (e.g. he sells vaccums and Hoover has the top spot, go figure!) as well as Amazon and a couple of other major players. He DOES appear at the top for long tail keywords and synonyms.

He also wants to reduce his adwords spend, but the trouble is not with adwords, but his landing pages, navigation and CTA messages.

I have tried explaining that his problem is conversion and have repeatedly given him a list of options to improve sales, but he won't listen and keeps asking me to do more and more and more SEO as if it is a magical technique for success.

He is so focused on the numbers (page rank, traffic, hits) that he is totally ignoring the fact that the goal is to get more sales!

I doubt I can give him better results than what he has got already without him taking my advice, but obviously I want to keep the paycheck!

What can I do??
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by twowheels
    Hi guys,

I have been working on a site now for a couple of months, and have got it from Page 3 to Page 1 on Google for most of his keyterms.

Trouble is, he wants to move to the top position of P1, and it just ain't gonna happen. Above him are the actual brands of the products he's selling (e.g. he sells vaccums and Hoover has the top spot, go figure!) as well as Amazon and a couple of other major players. He DOES appear at the top for long tail keywords and synonyms.

He also wants to reduce his adwords spend, but the trouble is not with adwords, but his landing pages, navigation and CTA messages.

I have tried explaining that his problem is conversion and have repeatedly given him a list of options to improve sales, but he won't listen and keeps asking me to do more and more and more SEO as if it is a magical technique for success.

He is so focused on the numbers (page rank, traffic, hits) that he is totally ignoring the fact that the goal is to get more sales!

I doubt I can give him better results than what he has got already without him taking my advice, but obviously I want to keep the paycheck!

What can I do??
    Charge him more and keep doing what you are doing.

These "types" tend to be deadend customers where they will eventually leave you no matter what you do because the grass is always greener where they aren't.

So the best advice is believing you've already lost them... and charging them accordingly to get what you can for as long as you can get it.. and that's it".

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees
    • europa agrees
    • subzero27 agrees
    Last edited by fathom; Jul 13th, 2009 at 06:55 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Fathom gives great advice. We have retail customers who write with a thousand questions about a product. You can immediately sense... this person is going to be dissatisfied no matter what.

So, we don't spend 30 minutes trying to win a $19 sale.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL