1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Click and time visiting the website counts?

Hi,

I wondering if these two things count in SEO:

• Clicks that Google users do when they see my website in Google rankings
    • Time that users stay in my site.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

The quick (and dangerous answer) is yes.

CTR (click through rate) will play a part as will a function of bounce rate and time on site.

BUT, Google is clever.
    They know that 'your competition' could try to 'bounce' you down the rankings or that you could hire people to click on your links etc and will be on the lookout for strange patterns etc.

Also, it is almost certain that these signals are temporary. So, just because you have a good CTR and time on site this month doesn't mean this will help your page in 3 months time if you lose (or gain) a good CTR etc.

So, what do you do?
    Ensure you have a good title and description to make sure that people who see your ad click through.
    Ensure the title and description match the content so that people who click through find the right sort of content.
    Ensure the content is good so they the visitor to your page wants to stay around.

Comments on this post

• TcxAnthony agrees
    Last edited by Kevin H; Jul 15th, 2013 at 04:41 AM.
    Freelance SEO and Web Developer
    Latest Clients Home Discount and Printed Products
  5. No Profile Picture

I am agree with kevin. Click through rate and time shows how relevant people find your website for their searches. If your CTR is not good and people tend to leave your site soon then you need to be a little bit concerned about your website structure and its content.
  7. No Profile Picture
    The Dog Guy

I am not sure about click through rate.

Time on site and bounce rate yes, as it might mean that once they have gone to your site that they are voting that it is either poor for their needs or in the wrong category.

Click onto your site in the first place should not be a major indicator BECAUSE that is like saying a high click through rate will help your rankings, therefore since the top rank on any search term always gets the major clicks, it would stay there forever, just based on it being at the top and being in a positive feedback loop. Clearly this is not the case.

While google will track clicks from the same IP and know it is potentially spam bots etc, I wonder how much their tech can trace a computer to the same area (junction box) and guess that even if the ip has changed (esp if your account has varied IP or you are cloaking) that someone is spam clicking.

I am sure they are getting cleverer by the day.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by bruce99
    I am not sure about click through rate.

Time on site and bounce rate yes, as it might mean that once they have gone to your site that they are voting that it is either poor for their needs or in the wrong category.

Click onto your site in the first place should not be a major indicator BECAUSE that is like saying a high click through rate will help your rankings, therefore since the top rank on any search term always gets the major clicks, it would stay there forever, just based on it being at the top and being in a positive feedback loop. Clearly this is not the case.

While google will track clicks from the same IP and know it is potentially spam bots etc, I wonder how much their tech can trace a computer to the same area (junction box) and guess that even if the ip has changed (esp if your account has varied IP or you are cloaking) that someone is spam clicking.

I am sure they are getting cleverer by the day.
    CTR is for probably the easiest and (with caveat - see later) best choice to use for for affecting the position of page in the SERPs.
    First place gets the majority of clicks 'on average' - but especially as you hit 4th and 5th in the SERPs the % of CTR gets to be very similar very quickly between any 2 places.
    Even 1st place is less than 50% of CTR so people DO take other things into consideration when clicking (titles, descriptions and brand).

Rational:
    If Google has said that it has pageX as position 1 and pageY as position 2 but pageY has a higher CTR than pageX - which should rank higher?
    The benefit of this occuring becomes even more obvious as you move down the SERPs where maybe only 1 or 2% of CTR separates 4 or 5 results.
    This also ties in with the fact that these effects are likely to be short term - so week on week, month on month the CTR affect would change (also, fits into caveat). Which also fits in with many peoples experiences of slight movement in SERPs at lower positions week on week etc.

Caveat:
    Obviously this could be open to abuse so I think we can assume that the search engines have look to check for and mitigate the effect of cheating in several ways.

- make the effect quite small... it is one of 100s of factors - so spending a lot of time and money trying to maipulate it probably isn't worth it anyway.
    - look for too high a percentage of CTR for a SERPs position and review. If someone is botting their link they'd better hope the other results are still ending up with the 'right' % of clicks otherwise a result low in the SERPs could end up with 80%+ of the CTR: may look a little suspicious don't you think?
    - and ...

I can think of loads of other quite simple checks and I'm sure you could too.

Comments on this post

• PhilipSEO agrees : good points
    • Doodled agrees : Nicely put!
  11. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I've heard the longer a click through stays the better it is, but no ones proved it. You can take that at face value.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

yes sure, it counts both ,If you did not still verify your site with GWT then verify with this tool and go and check all the things there you will find every thing there.Google see even how many seconds a user stay with this page
  15. No Profile Picture
    Banned

If your site's bounce rate is low, that means people are spending time in your site for longer. I take that as a good indication that visitors are actually liking your site and looking around for more information.

This definitely helps your site's SEO a bit.