1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Checking competitions back links

Is there a free tool for checking my competitions backlinks ?

My competitors site is terrible and outranks my site with unoriginal content and a poor design. It leads be to believe they must have good quality backlinks. I work so hard on my site and they still outrank me .. ugh!
  3. No Profile Picture

Hello!

I believe your website is better at content and design. Are you using any SEO techniques? It seems that your competitors are doing it and apparently they succeed, even though you say they don't have valuable content and design.

I'd say you should first optimize your website and after that spy on your competitors' strategies and see what you missed out.

As for the tools you asked for, I'd recommend Open Site Explorer and Majestic SEO - even though the free versions are limited. For detailed information and functionality, you have to go with the paid subscriptions. But the free ones are good enough for you to make an idea on the techniques your competitors are using.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would be careful focusing on your competition too much, instead, take an objective look at your SEO opportunities. It is of course not a bad idea to do an evaluation your competition, but maybe look at the keywords that they are currently ranking for, and see if they are doing type of authorship and social media.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

checking competitions back links?
    >The free tools for checking competitions back links are ,
    >ahrefs ,open site explorer,backlink watch, small seo tools,majestic seo,analysis backlinks,etc,.
  9. No Profile Picture

I recommend AHrefs. It is not free (except for limited data) but is very accurate. I still use OpenSiteExplorer from time to time also.
  11. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by nextoronto

My competitors site is terrible and outranks my site with unoriginal content and a poor design. It leads be to believe they must have good quality backlinks. I work so hard on my site and they still outrank me .. ugh!
    Just because they rank higher doesn't mean they have good quality backlinks, they might just have a lot of low quality ones.. meaning they might drop out of rankings all together at any time.

If you want to look into their links though try opensiteexplorer (free) and SEO spyglass (free version available).

Also you can just do a couple of google searches for their brand name and then their domain name in quotes, "brand name", "domain.com" see what comes up; I like to do this generally anyway to see where my competition is being mentioned and why.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  13. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Why does everyone want free, don't people know what they get for free?
    This drives me nuts.
    Hey I have a nice car, wonder where I can get it hopped up to run better and do it for free.
    People...the word free doesn't work well with other words except air and it just a waste of your time.
    I mean even freedom isn't free!!
  15. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Why does everyone want free, don't people know what they get for free?
    This drives me nuts.
    Hey I have a nice car, wonder where I can get it hopped up to run better and do it for free.
    People...the word free doesn't work well with other words except air and it just a waste of your time.
    I mean even freedom isn't free!!
    I think you're wrong on this one.

There are some very good SEO tools that are free or have free versions & some of us wouldn't get enough use out of a paid service to justify a monthly fee.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees : I just look at it from the other side of the fence.
  17. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

That's fine...if your just wanting to use it once, use a free one. Personally if I want good information...I never go the free route.
    But that's the age in me. I remember going to the parts house getting the 1.50 socket going home stripping it and having to go back and get the 5 dollar one...which worked. I know it's a different scenario. It's just a bit irritating to me when everyone wants everything they can get for free..it kinda says something about them.
    Especially when it's a tool for something as important as your web site.
    SEO Spyglass is a good tool, however it won't hold any history and if you don't need the history...the free version is a good way to go... But the history can tell you a lot more.
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by nextoronto

Well, we could say that they have lots of good quality backlinks. But it could also be that they have far more good quality links than yours. You said unoriginal content, remember that original contents doesn't really mean that they are good quality ones.

For free tools you can use backlinkwatch and ahrefs. But if you want to spy on them more accurately, you can pay for backlink checker tools to see their backlink profile.