1. Go OSU Beavers!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Arrow A Changing SEO world: 5 Hot Concepts to Watch

A Changing SEO world: 5 Hot Concepts to Watch

by: Scott Fish

Major changes are coming to the SEO world, new players; MSN, and old players, Google, are now head to head to see who can index and rank the most relevant content. Lets take a look at a few things that may be out the door, and a few that will be creating new foundation.

1) Reciprocal links

These links originally were meant to be a system of rewarding websites by giving links if a second website owner thought the first site had importance and relevance. Now you can literally buy the links! Or even better, buy them on E-bay. =)

2) One-way links and triangle linking

This type of linking is already popular and will continue to grow. The triangle link has the appearance where links look like one-way links even though “Site 1” is returning the favor to “Site 2” through “Site 3”. Triangle linking takes time to set up and it also takes quite a bit of commitment from all parties. If anything, this will grow as one of the preferred ways to have reciprocal links, simply due to the complexity, Google likes that.

3) Become.com

Can this new search engine index every site on the Internet every 10 seconds? You must have an invite to test it out, and the business is very quiet about the advances that they have made. Become.com is turning heads. Many websites have seen Become.com Bots spidering “like crazy”. I have a feeling that we’ll all know the name Become.com within the next year.

4) MSN

How much power can Bill Gates wield on the search engine market and arena? We’ll find out sooner than later. Already, I see sometime, double the results with MSN versus Google. Obviously, the algorithms are different, but does this make one better than the other, we’ll see.

5) Page Rank (PR)

It’s Importance is changing. A Simple yet complicated ranking system, based on the number of links that are given to a website, this does not correlate with the actual value of the website for search results. Anyone who owns several websites knows that the PR of websites changes over time. Get ready, they will be changing for good – And it may not matter any more.

You may republish -Please make sure to include the author and website provided.
    -Scott Fish,
    Last edited by dazzlindonna; Apr 12th, 2005 at 06:57 AM. Reason: no fake sigs allowed or live links for 90 days and 100 posts
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by scottfish
    3) Become.com

Can this new search engine index every site on the Internet every 10 seconds? You must have an invite to test it out, and the business is very quiet about the advances that they have made. Become.com is turning heads. Many websites have seen Become.com Bots spidering “like crazy”. I have a feeling that we’ll all know the name Become.com within the next year.
    Well, it went live now already http://www.become.com/.
    Last edited by SEO_AM; Apr 15th, 2005 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Removed live link
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by IrishCoffee
    Well, it went live now already http://www.become.com/.
    Doesn't look like it has crawled much up to now though
    Last edited by SEO_AM; Apr 15th, 2005 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Removed live link
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by IrishWonder
    Doesn't look like it has crawled much up to now though
    They say "3.2 billion pages from 40 million sites."
  9. SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Scott -
    I think you're giving bad advice here. I suggest reading up a lot more before attempting to contribute in this manner.

Comments on this post

• agrees
    CEO & Co-founder of SEOmoz
  11. Stormfront Productions

It's still beta though....
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by rtheodorow
    It's still beta though....
    Beta in IT means the product is ready to go. This must not be justified if you are in business of medical devices, but if you are in IT, then it's all right.
  15. Supercalifragilistic
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Beta in IT means "it works if you use it the way the programmer intended, but there are probably lots of bugs/glitchs if you do the unexpected"
  17. No Profile Picture
    mick.sawyer
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)
    The way i understand `Beta` is that the programmer wants to rake some cash in from the 3/4 finished program without waiting any longer for all the glitches to be ironed out.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by mick.sawyer
    The way i understand `Beta` is that the programmer wants to rake some cash in from the 3/4 finished program without waiting any longer for all the glitches to be ironed out.
    Rolling out a Beta product is mainly done to use its potential users as guinea pigs, so to say ;-) - i.e. to test it in the real life situation - and I don't think anybody actually sells Beta versions as commercial products - most Betas out there are available for free.
  21. Go OSU Beavers!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Become.com Launched April 11 officially

Originally Posted by IrishWonder
    Rolling out a Beta product is mainly done to use its potential users as guinea pigs, so to say - i.e. to test it in the real life situation - and I don't think anybody actually sells Beta versions as commercial products - most Betas out there are available for free.
    I havent been around to watch this thread flourish - so I'd like to get my 2 cents in.

Become.com is developed - The release date was on April 11 for the shopping search engine. More on the press release here.

A Quote from the press release highlights why Become.com is one to watch:

The company has developed a ranking algorithm called AIR (Affinity Index Ranking) that performs "contextual connectivity analysis" on the link structure of the web. This algorithm differs from other link analysis techniques such as Google's PageRank largely because it looks at both incoming and outgoing links for a page.

And unlike PageRank, which essentially pays no attention to the content of a web page, relying entirely on link analysis to compute a ranking, AIR analyzes the content of a page and only indexes it if it can determine that the page contains shopping-related content. It also only crawls on-topic links, discarding non-shopping or spam links.
    Scott Fish