1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Changing hosting companies

I will be changing hosting companies for a client soon. After the switch will this hurt their SER? If so, how long until it would build back up and is there anything I could do to soften the blow?
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I'm assuming you mean SEO?
    If so what do think it mess it up?
  5. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

There are some things that change when changing a Server.
    1. IP - which affects your spam score. If its a shared server and there are people on it spamming the hell out of public - you may be affected.
    2. Ping time - If your server ping time changes it will affect page speed and UX impacting SERPs to some extent.
    3. Geo Location - I hope when you are changing your server you are still in your preferred geo location.

Normally, we upgrade to better servers. So when you upgrade you should actually notice a boost in performance. That would mean both SERP and UX.
    If you notice a fall in both factors the choice of server may be wrong.

Things to remember
    1. Run a internal link audit with xenu or screaming frog and see all pages are working fine and that things are not broken. Sometimes do to version differences in serverside languages and other rules things tend to break.
    2. Re-install SSL if you have it.
    3. Monitor error logs continuously for some days to make sure differences did not cause something to break.
    4. Make sure you have moved all your validation files as well (My developers make this mistake often
    5. Do a AB testing on the same page with a copy on both servers to see which one is performing better on GTmetrix or pingdom or similar tools. (But I am sure you would have done it already)
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you all for the replies. I briefly remembered, from research on this site, that if a page is deleted that you had to do a redirect for it to not affect SEO. I didn't know if the same thing happened if servers were changed.
  9. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by pfar54
    Thank you all for the replies. I briefly remembered, from research on this site, that if a page is deleted that you had to do a redirect for it to not affect SEO. I didn't know if the same thing happened if servers were changed.
    If it appeared from my reply that redirecting old deleted page is same as handling a server change I am sorry - I did not mean to say anything closely similar.
    I meant to say - when you change a server the PHP version may be different which may cause some pages to be broken. You may not notice them immediately with general look at some pages of the site. So the steps I suggested helps an SEO make sure all is well after and before a server change.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Not at all. I understood what you meant. It was my initial ignorance that caused the confusion.

Thanks again!
  13. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I have never noticed any difference in ranking when changing servers. As noted above, there could be some exceptions, like moving away from your target location. But page speed does not concern me as far as ranking.