1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Change page for a determined Keyword Ranking

Hello!

I am facing the following problem:

I have the homepage of a store and a category page for "cups for tea".

When I search for "cups for tea" instead of showing my category page for the product, Google shows the homepage.

There is a way to tell Google that I want my category page ranking instead of the homepage? Or I will need to earn links for the category page so this way it will outrank the homepage for the keyword?

Thanks in advance.
  3. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Build a better page and/or build links to the page you want to be ranked.
  5. No Profile Picture

Is that category page relatively new? If so, that has happened to me. At first goodgle would show my home page and eventually google would show the new page within a few weeks. I have noticed that quite a few times. Is that category page linked to your home page?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi IceFlok,
    What the other said, plus...

You can't "tell" Google to boost your internal page over your Home page. G selects which one it thinks best matches the query.

It is not uncommon for Home pages to rank higher than internal pages because most external links usually point to Home and few to internal pages. E-comm sites often make this worse by using "flat file" site structures that dissipates incoming link juice across many pages so that little ends up being passed to individual category pages.

When I search for "cups for tea" on G.com.au, I see the top 10 mostly populated by very large online stores and retail chains. I wonder whether you will ever be able to knock any of them from their page #1 positions for this specific search query.

You may attract more, relevant visitors to your category page by targeting more clearly defined clients and longer search queries than, "cups for tea".

Eg. When I search for your query, G is skewing results to my country location. It is also suggestion these related search queries at the bottom of the SERPs:

• tea cup sets cheap
    • tea cup set walmart
    • porcelain tea cups bulk
    • japanese porcelain tea cup
    • cup and saucer sets cheap
    • target australia tea cups
    • tea cup set target
    • tea cup and saucer sets kmart

When I see Walmart, Target, Kmart names in the related searches, that suggests to me a small site would have trouble outranking them in Aust.

Have a look at what the "related searches" are for your location. They are probably different to what I see in Aust. Eg. If in UK, you may see a Tesco page instead of "Target Australia" and Kmart.

If you are a small, new site, you want your SEO tactics to side-step the big 800lb gorillas and find a way around them.
  9. No Profile Picture

all good answers, the other thing you can try is fetch the page you want to rank in google webmaster tool. However if your SEO is right I believe with some back-links over time the new page will come first
  11. No Profile Picture

Well at least you're ranking for something! ;)

The reason the homepage is currently ranking is likely because of a few things:
    1. You have more text (and overall content) that is optimized for your keyword there.
    2. You have images with filenames that include wording like cups-of-tea.jpg (and alt-tags maybe?)
    3. And of course, you have more links pointing to the homepage.

To help your category page appear, make sure you have a snippet of text describing the category (either above or below all the listings on your category page) that is at least 300 words long. Inside the description on the category page (I'm talking about real text on the category page, don't mistaken this with the meta-description... that is not what we are talking about here), you can include recommendations to your favorite products. Also explain why they should choose your tea cups over everyone else's. (Essentially, use that paragraph of text on the category page to further sell your products).

Then, make sure the category page isn't "no-indexed" (If you are using wordpress with woocommerce this could potentially happen... this would likely never happen with any real ecommerce platform).

Finally, get yourself some links to the category page. That will complete the trifecta and get you ranking!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As mentioned,

It would appear that your homepage has more authority, hence why it is ranking over the category page.

Remember it is also possible to rank two pages from the same website on the first page of Google. As well as some great advice given here, you could try and create an internal link on your homepage pointing to the category page using anchor text "cups for tea"... this might help improve the rankings for the category page on Google as well as the category page.